Delisted Jordon Bourke (2012-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance we'll play him as a forward? Just think our defensive options are more sorted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he needs another year or 2. By then Maguire will be gone and Merrett won't have long left.

Seems to have the all the attributes apart from strength which will come.

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
4/10 – Didn't disgrace himself with 13 disposals. Could he be a father-son that bites Cats on the bum?

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

Upgrade? Retain? Delist? AFL.com.au's rookie watch

Jordon Bourke: Had a big pre-season and was a chance of being elevated following Daniel Rich's injury, but the improvement of Darcy Gardiner may have snuffed out that option. Impressive in one-on-one contests, the key defender still has a bit to work on to play senior footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions make it double digit debutants

The Brisbane Lions will unveil their 10th debutant for the season on Saturday night, when rookie Jordon Bourke makes his first AFL appearance against Geelong. A Queenslander and son of former Bears ruckman Damian Bourke, he becomes the second player recruited from the Hyundai Lions Academy to play a senior AFL game. Bourke grew up in Coorparoo, only a stone's throw from the Gabba, and after progressing through the Hyundai Lions Academy, he made history by becoming the first ever Lions Academy member to graduate onto the Lions' official playing list.cInterestingly, Bourke will make his debut against the Club who could have selected him under the Father/Son rule at the 2012 National Draft. The Cats passed up the opportunity to draft the AIS-AFL Academy graduate, who landed at the Lions with Pick No. 63 overall in the 2012 Rookie Draft.

313233-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Bourke returns to Geelong

The irony of playing his senior AFL debut at Simonds Stadium against Geelong won’t be lost on first-gamer Jordon Bourke. Bourke, the son of former Geelong skipper and Bears ruckman Damian Bourke, always looked likely to land at the ‘Cattery’ under the Father/Son rule – particularly after he was voted the best player in Division Two of the 2011 U16 National Championships. Geelong even went so far as to seek AFL permission for him to play a couple of games with their VFL side.

Despite being a local Queenslander, Bourke was excited by the opportunity to potentially follow in his famous father’s footsteps. “I just want to play the best footy I can to be able to be in a position where options will come up,” Bourke said. “To stay in Queensland would be good, but to go where dad played and go to the club I support (Geelong) would be awesome as well.” He was thrilled with the opportunity to kick-start his career with the Lions, particularly as he lived just a stone’s throw away at Coorparoo.

I thought Jordon acquitted himself quite well last night and no doubt having a little taste will show him how much more he needs to work on his game to succeed at the highest level.

Ran into burkey like 2 hours ago in the valley. Real nice told him he's gonna be the next Joel patfull but with more hair he laughed. At that. Asked him if he's gonna be upgraded to the senior list said his manager is in talks with the lions about it but looks good. Said I'd be there round 1 hope he gets a start he said cheers. Then I left what a good bloke

Last edited by a moderator:
Not upgraded prior to first list lodgement which is a bit surprising. According to Patrick Keane rookies can't be upgraded now (presumably until after the season starts).

Not upgraded prior to first list lodgement which is a bit surprising. According to Patrick Keane rookies can't be upgraded now (presumably until after the season starts).
Rookies can be upgraded through the pre-season, happens all the time.
I reckon the club are going to leave two list spots open and not upgrade anyone in the draft, so that through the pre-season our rookie listed players can be driven to win those spots.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 04/04/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Probably his third quarter was his best quarter. He should certainly bottle this intensity. We had a couple of great efforts to spoil and get back on it. He’s still working on his field kicking, which has let him down the last couple of weeks but hopefully a big improvement ready for Rd1. We certainly need his ability to play as a key defender for us against some quality opposition the next couple of weeks.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Best game this year for Jordon, probably our best player on the day as a key back. A couple of contests he got marked on but overall his ability to play gate keeper at times and come forward to defend and spoil the ball along with front half turnovers was really good. Played with real urgency and intensity, our best player I thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back