Traded Josh Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

The up forward experiment with Bruce is working well so far. Only his 3rd game forward and he's kicked 3 goals in a match. I reckon Stanley has only done that once in his 50 games. I think Stanley could be a good player, don't get me wrong, it's just another way of looking at it. Also, his pressure up forward is great too.

Bruce most certainly should have provided a target and played well.... GC had no match up for him... And he played on a HBFer

But he did what not many StK talls have done since 2010... He drew the ball and took some heat off Nick.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Bruce:

Ranked 2nd at the club for spoils and 4th for intercept possessions from rounds 5-12.

Kept Daniher, McGuane and Casboult goalless in his first three games, recordingthe 2nd best losing % of the top five at the club for defensive 1v1 contests.

When he was switched forward he ranked 3rd at the club for inside 50 targets.

Article about the big JB (Armitage2Riewoldt , do you want to pop this on the main board for a bit?):

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...iration-josh-bruce-20150331-1mb0su.touch.html

Nice to hear a bit from Brucey. Hasn't had a heap of media since the trade.

"I idolised him as a player and since I've been working with him I'm just trying to emulate how hard he works on and off the ball, [he's] someone I certainly see as a role model," Bruce said.

"If I could be a quarter of the player he's been, I'd be happy."

Good boy :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't understand what about an opinion on an internet forum can make someone so angry. I really hope I'm not at the end of my life reflecting about that time that one person I will probably never meet said that one thing about a football club that I didn't think was accurate. It just doesn't matter.

Sad that this thread has been hijacked by melodramatic nonsense. It really should be about Bruce --

I really think he is in for a big year. I really can't think of more than that first NAB game where he hasn't looked at least effective. He idolizes and is trying to emulate Rooey, so I don't really see how he could go wrong. Takes good marks, good leads, can kick goals and gives complete and total effort. I'm a huge wrap for the guy. I think we'll see him struggle at times but kicking 3 goals in your first AFL game as a forward in a spooner side is impressive, especially the way they were gotten.

Last edited:
Definitely had strong doubts when we shifted him forward and I'd still probably prefer him to play back in the long term. I thought his kick wasn't great, he didn't quite have the smarts to know where to lead and was worried about him getting in the way of Riewoldt. BUT after watching him a bit more he has a hell of a work rate, never shirks from a contest and presents well. Even if he doesn't get to the right place straight away he'll bust his ass trying to get there to provide a contest and he seems to be improving at leading. He's always on the move and seems to influence the play quite a bit. Very good signs.

I don't think he'll ever be a superstar but he'll be a very handy player. I always liked that he got the number 27, I could see him having a similar earnest approach as the loveable Jason Blake.

We Need a Jaksch or something if Brucey is a forward.

But I'm not gonna complain that we have a strong bloke at 196cm capable of playing either end.

We still have Gilbert for the shorter term, and hopefully Roberton will become more skilled one on one, then there is Goddard and shorter , but still versatile Acres. Another tall utility isn't essential

Well done Josh Bruce. After Roo was hit in the back by Bugg, away from the ball, resulting in him having to leave the ground for the rest of the match (no free kick of course); Bruce made sure that Bugg was hit after disposing of the ball in the next play. He gave away the free however some things are more important than free kicks.

Hope reiwoldt is okay. Surely it's time he gets some decent protection before he is seriously hurt.

Ps and great mark as well Brucey!

Last thing needed is for Bruce to possibly get reported. He did enough to hurt him and send a message without overdoing it.
Was a bit tongue in cheek about hitting him harder being they were on a football field, but yes I agree.

Well done Josh Bruce. After Roo was hit in the back by Bugg, away from the ball, resulting in him having to leave the ground for the rest of the match (no free kick of course); Bruce made sure that Bugg was hit after disposing of the ball in the next play. He gave away the free however some things are more important than free kicks.

Hope reiwoldt is okay. Surely it's time he gets some decent protection before he is seriously hurt.

Ps and great mark as well Brucey!

couldnt agree more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back