Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Still unsure why he's back in the forward line, despite his crumbing ability, goalsense and general skill being valuable down there. Still, he's just behind Pendles for me in terms of blokes I want with the pill in their hand. They therefore need to find a way to get it in his hands more often.

We could really do with two of him... oh wait

CAN WE LEAVE DAICOS ON THE WING PLEASE

(caps for emphasis)

I really don’t give a sh*t if Madgen is getting possessions on the wing. He can be getting 30+ possessions but I still want Daicos there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lucky we have 2 wings.

I'd assume Daicos's wing time is being carefully managed due to his disrupted preseason. No doubt he'll be back to full time soon enough.

He belongs in the centre...

I think if he hadn't had an interrupted preseason we'd have already seen a lot more of him through the midfield and starting in the square.

Needs to be played in our midfield 100% of the time. Could be our best centre square clearance player. Has that mini Pendlebury vibe in being able to find space in congestion

I think that was the plan right through the preseason but a disrupted start delayed Buck's capacity to get him in there. Been building into it.

Needs to be played in our midfield 100% of the time. Could be our best centre square clearance player. Has that mini Pendlebury vibe in being able to find space in congestion
As Jackcass said, think his conditioning prevented that from the get-go (think he had a minor back surgery, can't quite remember). He's definitely building now though. Weaves through traffic nicely, and can draw free kicks

It feels a no brainer for the rest of the year. I was a bit concerned his size would hold him back from being able to compete in there, but he’s very similar to Shai Bolton with how slippery he is. If anything he has Bolton covered in that way because he doesn’t hack it forward like Bolton does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another to agree with the keep Daicos in the centre vibe. He’ll benefit even more when Adams comes back to do more grunt work.

Also looking forward to seeing McCrae in the guts. His handballing in a contest has been my favourite part of watching him play this far. So clean.

Then when we add Nick Daicos with a year or 2 under his belt we will be developing some quality mids.

Another to agree with the keep Daicos in the centre vibe. He’ll benefit even more when Adams comes back to do more grunt work.

Also looking forward to seeing McCrae in the guts. His handballing in a contest has been my favourite part of watching him play this far. So clean.

Then when we add Nick Daicos with a year or 2 under his belt we will be developing some quality mids.

I think we really need to focus on growing that core group of mids together.

We are bare in the cupboard in mid aged mids.

I like it. Also keen to see McInnes get some fitness, will provide some genuine size in the middle eventually. Daicos x 2, Macrae, McInnes and Poulter is a nice young midfield core. Hopefully they all learn about training habits from Pendles!

I think we really need to focus on growing that core group of mids together.

We are bare in the cupboard in mid aged mids.
I agree. Also partly why I’m comfortable trading De Goey if we get a decent return.

Delighted with Daicos' progress, he is now comfortably in our top 10 players and will be a gun midfielder for a long time.

Tops tens and suchlike are such a subjective thing. I'm not sure he's matching his 2020 output thus far in 2021. His disposal efficiency has suffered a bit this year. I think much of that was his interrupted preseason and we'll continue to see growth week to week. That's all I want.

Tops tens and suchlike are such a subjective thing. I'm not sure he's matching his 2020 output thus far in 2021. His disposal efficiency has suffered a bit this year. I think much of that was his interrupted preseason and we'll continue to see growth week to week. That's all I want.
Yesterday for me was a step above 2020, as he was doing his thing in the heart of congestion and not in space.

They have been playing him mostly in the forward line this season, probably the reason for his limited output compared to 2020, but that may have been to do with his interrupted pre-season. I expect the more time he is put into the middle from here on out will see better output.

Yesterday for me was a step above 2020, as he was doing his thing in the heart of congestion and not in space.

Happy to agree to disagree. I doubt he attended all that many more stoppages yesterday than he has at times playing off a wing. Only 3 of his clearances were centre clearances and he's had games in previous years where he's managed 1 or 2 centre clearances. Major difference was that I think the wing allowed him more often to get time and space and to use his disposal by foot to much greater effect, whereas yesterday was the 1st time this year that's been below 40% efficiency (only the 4th time in his career) and his kick to handball rate was 1:2.

It feels a no brainer for the rest of the year. I was a bit concerned his size would hold him back from being able to compete in there, but he’s very similar to Shai Bolton with how slippery he is. If anything he has Bolton covered in that way because he doesn’t hack it forward like Bolton does.

I was impressed by his composure under tackling pressure and his willingness to wait and draw the tackler in without panicking. Pretty hard skill to learn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back