Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night reinforced the fact that we need to have Drummond playing on either a wing or on the half forward flank next season.

His goal kicking and passing to leading forwards is nothing short of elite.

That's where he has been so creative streaming out from the half back flank though.

But yere I'd like to see him up at half forward. He would certainly be one of our better shots for goal.

It is a hard one. To have someone like him doing our inside 50s is very tempting. He is a player that not only can, but will, take a shot from 55-60 meters but can also spear a pass onto a forward. Our delivery to our forwards costs us goals every game, and we have better forwards than most teams. We can barely even kick the ball to our forwards advantage half the time, never mind actually hitting them on a lead. We have a few more backs coming through, and i think we can survive without Drummond in the back. Ash needs someone else who is willing to run with him to get the ball out.

Besides, half our problem of getting the ball out of our back 50 isn't the guy kicking it out, its him not having anything to kick to. Over the past 2-3 weeks there have been plenty of times Drummond has done a shocking kick, simply because no one is giving him something to kick to.

I would love to see him being played forward of the ball more often.

I would love to see him being played forward of the ball more often.

I agree with most of what you say Chopperduck but I am more leaning to him on a wing or thereabouts. I think our problem this year has been penetrating our half forward line and if he is positioned across the middle he has the ability to both kick goals from outside 50 and also break the lines and kick long to a marking forward inside 30 metres, ala Daniel Rich.

My only concern is his running ability to play across the middle and be accountable, but if fit he could be really dangerous in this part of the ground.

I wanna see Drummo on the wing or forward pocket. It's about time we drafted some tall, mobile, big lumps like Strawb (no offense man :D) to stay down back and give him some help.
Drummo never played in the reserves backline when he first donned a Lions jumper in 94 or when he was bumped up to the seniors in 95, why should he be there now.

Set Drummo free!!! ;)

I wanna see Drummo on the wing or forward pocket. It's about time we drafted some tall, mobile, big lumps like Strawb (no offense man :D) to stay down back and give him some help.
Drummo never played in the reserves backline when he first donned a Lions jumper in 94 or when he was bumped up to the seniors in 95, why should he be there now.

Set Drummo free!!! ;)

94 & 95? :eek:

I agree with most of what you say Chopperduck but I am more leaning to him on a wing or thereabouts. I think our problem this year has been penetrating our half forward line and if he is positioned across the middle he has the ability to both kick goals from outside 50 and also break the lines and kick long to a marking forward inside 30 metres, ala Daniel Rich.

My only concern is his running ability to play across the middle and be accountable, but if fit he could be really dangerous in this part of the ground.

I dont think he would be too bad with being accountable coming from the defense. He plays as a loose defender, but when given jobs has defended well, along with leaving his man to help the other defenders out. I think he reads the play really well too.

Not sure if he has the tank to run down the wings all day though. Perhaps using him in bursts on the wing is a good middle ground !?

Drummond's first and primary role should be as a defender. Only when things go askew and we need to shake things up, such as Saturday night vs. Bulldogs, then he can go down the field.

I am all for having flexibility in where you can play your players but they should have their primary roles that they stick to for the majority of the time.

Drummond's first and primary role should be as a defender. Only when things go askew and we need to shake things up, such as Saturday night vs. Bulldogs, then he can go down the field.

I am all for having flexibility in where you can play your players but they should have their primary roles that they stick to for the majority of the time.

While i do agree with this, i think we are at the stage now with a young developing team to be testing these things out. I dont think Drummond should be starting the 1st qtr on the wing v port, but i think its definitely something to continue to play with. I can really see Drummond being able to play a Notting type wing role back in the 03 & 04 days.

I think that a move from Drummo up the field would also open up a spot for Hendo at CHB, with Patful moving into the role that Drummond currently has as the third tall.

I thought that Joel's best game this year when he was allowed more freedom on Goodes.

The inclusion of Hendo would also partially alleviate the kickout problem as we would have another big target to kick to, plus from the games I've seen I think that his field kicking is quite good for a big man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lion makes big league but now ready to roar

Following a couple of seasons plagued with injury, the 26-year-old managed 20 games in 2009, missing just four, and brought up the 50-game milestone midway through the season.

“I've made hard work of the 50 but if I get to 100 I hope it's quicker and less painless,” Drummond laughed.

“That's part and parcel of the game though. There's players out there who've had it worse than me so that's the way I look at it.

“I got a running coach and did that three or four times a week, as well as leg weights to try and strengthen my core up, and it's made a big difference.

“I've still got a lot of work to do but I've definitely made improvements this year bodywise.”

I know Drummo is a champion in our defence and was coined our "quarterback" this year, but with the introduction of Raines, X Clarke and Staker do you think he will be freed up to play more up the ground.

On a wing or even forward flank could work, can still use his disposal efficiency to hit Browny and Fev or his booming boot to split the middle from outside 50. Or will that be where we choose to play Xavier if he gets his body right?

So many players on out list who are so versatile now!

Drummo had a clean out on the hip over the off season and is not taking part in any skills sessions as yet. He's running lots of laps around the track atm. :footy:

All of these calls for Josh to move up the ground? Jeez, all that will achieve is to lose one of our weapons, IMO. He defends brilliantly when needed. Puts his body on the line and wears what comes. Reads the play from half back and knows when to get on his bike.

And when he does that, the real weapon comes out. Takes a hand ball and goals from 60, or hits Brown/Fevo/A-Corn on the tit (in traffic usually). Drummo is unique in his ability at this time in the game. And impossible to defend against.

And what will we gain? another lead up forward? A role he has never played. Instead of just kicking the goal, he kicks it over the Grandstand. Do we get nine points for that now?

Not trying to sound clever, But I can see no gain in mucking with Drummo's game. We have enough changes to cope with already with the new personnel. Let strengths stay as they are and work on weaknesses, IMO.

He does a very good job a both defending and rebounding the ball playing as the loose defender. I think we can use his kicking up field more, especially with those 60m set shots. Even if he does move up the field a bit more next year, he should still be base as and playing from the back. Dont want to see him lining up on the wing at a centre bounce

2008 Review

2009 End of Season Review

In a word: (more) resilient

It is fair to say that there was a growing concern amongst Lions faithful that Drummond was going to end up a "wotif" player. What if he managed to string together more than 3 or 4 games? What if he could play a game without worrying which muscle was going to ping next? What if he played a full season? Pre-2009, those questions tormented Lions followers who knew they had a super player in their midst, if only he could get onto the paddock.

2009 saw a far more resilient footballer take the field. He still had his injury concerns throughout the year, most notably a calf injury that kept him sidelined for rounds 12-14 (as well as a 1st quarter injury in round 11). But, given he had played only 1/2 to 2/3rds of a season in previous years, his resilience in 2009 was a vast improvement. The story out of the pre-season was that Drummond had done some remedial work on his running style, to prevent the quad/thigh injuries that had plagued him over the previous 2 years. That, coupled with an excellent pre-season in terms of work, saw him hit the ground running in the NAB Cup, as one of the form players of that competition.

Voss tried to use Drummond in a loose role, taking advantage of his superior disposal to launch attacks from the defensive 50. Like Matthews before him, Voss was comfortable in allowing the opposition a spare man in defence, knowing that Drummond would be an asset when loose for the Lions. While successful in some respects, the reality of the modern game sees attacking backmen tagged as much as a good onballer. Neverthless, Drummond was a consisent possession winner, tallying 20 or more touches on 7 occasions throughout the year - a reasonable effort for a defender. Coupled with the quality of his disposals, it meant that Drummond was a dangerous proposition for most sides, a fact recognised during the season by the football community regularly citing him amongst the Lions' most valuable players.

The stand out feature of Drummond's game remains his incredible left foot. He seems to make time stand still in a Matrix kind of way when he drops the ball onto his boot. It is though the world stops while the footy makes its passage through the air, only to re-start when the pill eventually hits its target on the chest. His left foot kicking is accurate over 50 metres and he is able to hit a target no matter the degree of difficulty, with his hit up passes into the centre corridor regularly opening up the field for a move into attacking 50. As the season wore on, he also managed to get forward more often to create carnage, with the highlight being a 3 goal, 5 "inside 50" performance against the Dogs.

It is this work up the ground that has some Lions supporters considering whether a move to a wing or half forward might be advisable for 2010. Certainly, the Lions seem flush for running defenders, with McGrath, Adcock, Raines, Patfull, Hawksley and Collier all pressing for a spot in defence. Drummond, having shown glimpses of ability up field, would be a weapon on a wing, providing an avenue into forward 50 that would break down the best defensive set-ups (or, more dangerously, simply kick over the defence). Equally, having developed a reputation as one of the most dangerous half back flankers in the competition, it would be a risk to take him away from his comfort zone. An interesting, but pleasing, dilemma for M. Voss.

In 2010, Drummond needs to repeat or improve on his ability to string together games. An integral part of being a professional footballer is the ability to get onto the park and, whilst his professionalism is undoubted, it is a cold reality that he's no more use than us supporters when he is sitting up in the stands rather than utilising that sublime left boot on the field. 2010 will also see the increased attention from opposition taggers continue. No side will be willing to let Drummond run free without an opponent, regardless of where he lines up. Dummond and the coaching staff need to work on ways to beat the tag, either with different tactics or increased endurance from Drummond.

In short, Drummond, like others in the Brisbane Lions line-up, has shown a capability that is elite. The challenge is to emulate the club champions in Black, Brown and Power and produce those elite performances on a regular basis across an entire season. Do that and higher honours (All Australian etc) would seem almost automatic.

drummond.jpg

Link

Drummond enjoyed his best season last year, missing just three games because of injury.“I’ve been back in full training since Christmas and it’s all going good,” he said.
“It’s an ongoing battle with my body but I just want to play every game this year, or more than I did last year.
“I took a couple of extra steps forward last year and I’d like to take more this year.”

Play of the Day Round 4 vs Bulldogs

Courtesy of lions_den

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKMn87Rji_Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKMn87Rji_Q&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back