Delisted Josh Green (2010-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 32 in the 2010 National Draft

edit_preview.php

twitter

Summary:

* debut: round 9 vs North Melbourne (#103)
* high ankle strain (#136)
* 2011 review (#144)
* changes from guernsey number #42 to #6 (#151)
* three goals as a sub (#186)
* 2012 review (#245)

Contract status: 2012 - 2014

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2011: 37th (1 vote)

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal record:

Re: Josh Green

Plenty of potential in Tassie U18 team: coach

Tasmania - Josh Green
What Kevin Sheehan said: “Josh was Tassie’s best player in their matches against the division one teams, with his speed around the ball, his clean handling and his ball use on both sides of his body. He’s improved a lot and also been able to go forward and hurt teams by kicking some goals, so he’s really enhanced his draft chances by the way he led Tasmania.”

211299.jpg

Snoop Dog

Selection # 31 (ESSENDON)
Josh Green – Clarence / 179cm / 76kg

Profile : Aaarrrggghhh Tassie mids. Been a real unhappy ground for me. Love their in and under style and ball winning capability but over the years I have over rated guys like Crichton, Robinson, Hislop, Joseph etc. Not to say they are bad footballers but never quite as high as maybe i expected. However, Green could well be the exception because he has one thing all the above lacked.....pace! He is very polished midfielder who uses the ball very well but can also be an effective ball carrier given his pace and agility. Was an AA selection and was well worthy average over 25 possies with a good efficiency. What’s more I thought he was very well performed against the better sides. Ticks all the boxes as a mid insomuch as he can play in and out (better inside though), carry the ball, run fwd and kick goals. Tackling and chasing is also a feature so there is plenty to like in the kid. Suspect will start his career on either a HF or HB flank as still a bit light for the hustle and bustle of a state league or AFL stoppage. Will be the one to prove me wrong!
Why Essendon: Caddy and now Green are two different types of midfielders which will give Dons the midfield injection they need to complement Melksham, Colyer etc
Similar to: Ryan Harwood but quicker
Draft Range: 20-40
Roughie: Cameron Guthrie might be a kid they feel has slipped to far and would suit their needs.

Quigley

Pick 5 Brisbane
Brisbane moved up to 5 to take a specific player and I am damn sure it will not be Green. Much more likely it will be Gaff, Heppell, Polec or Atley that gets taken here but I rate Green as the best inside mid in this draft and I would have no trouble if we did take him here. The Lions are very interested in Green and I expect they are hoping he falls through to 25. The Lions need a ball winning mid with good skills and preferably excellent pace. Green would offer all that.

Joshua Green
DOB 24/8/92 Ht 177 Wt 76

It is no surprise to anyone who has read my mocks over the years to see me pump up a Div 2 guy or two each year. This year I love Josh Green and in all honesty I have not been this high on a Div 2 since Cyril (who I also had rated at 5 in his year). Green does not have the X factor that Cyril had but he also does not have the red flags that Cyril had and he will, from day one, play right in the thick of things in the midfield. I have Green this high for the simple fact that I rate him this high and believe he is the best inside midfielder in this draft. In addition to his inside ability he is also excellent outside and a more than capable small forward.

At ruck contests he most commonly sets up behind the ball at the bounce and is excellent at working himself into space. He reads the play well off hands and accelerates into the pack to win the ball and try and burst out the other side. If the ball does not fall his way he positions himself to receive if his teammate wins the ball. He invariably manages to get himself free and available. In the contest he has good core strength and clears his arms very well. If the opposition gets the ball he throws himself in to tackle and he is one of the better tacklers available this year. He plays with a fantastic tenacity that I am sure will see him succeed at the next level not only offensively but defensively as well. When the ball is on the ground he will run through walls to get to it and when the opposition gets it he will pursue the ball dropping off one man and going to the next if he can.

His inside work has been compared to Greg Williams and that is very high praise indeed. That comparison got a fair bit of air play in the media and led to the assumption that he was slow. I am very glad to see that he cleared that falsehood up at the Combine when he clocked a very nice 2.92 in the 20m. This was not a surprise as when you watch him live you often see him run away from those marking him whether in the middle or up forward. It is interesting to note that he is currently working off a pretty low endurance base and yet he gets to every contest. His elite gut running ability will stand him in good stead when he steps up to AFL level and works on his endurance base. He averaged 25 possessions a game at the Champs and played better the better the opposition stepping up and controlling the play for an outmanned Tasmania against the Div 1 powerhouses. He was injured in the last game for Tasmania suffering broken ribs and a punctured lung. This kept him out for about 6 or 7 weeks and out of sight of even those amateurs who might have been keeping an eye on Tasmania. He returned for the major semi final in the TSL and was straight back into the best with a lazy 28 possessions first game back. He has been playing seniors for over a year and has been doing it well. The break did not help his endurance base but he worked through that in the TSL finals and used it to put in a very reasonable beep test time. He was not able to repeat that in the 3km which I think gives a better indication of his fitness base.

He is a right footer but is very capable on his left and will not shy away from taking a pot shot on his left if given the chance. He does not have massive penetration on his kicking but he gets it where it needs to go and the weighting of his kicks is usually very good. His vision is most often good but he does occasionally take a less than premium option. He is a one touch player and is very clean with the ball on the ground and is very good overhead marking above his height with regularity. Up forward he uses his superior abilities to read the ball off hands to be a very good crumber. He can get out on the lead and create separation with his pace. If he is played initially as a small forward I think he should do pretty well. He is creative around goal and certainly knows where they are. On top of all that he was also nominated as the best interviewee at Combine on the AFL website and was described as an impressive young man by the Lions recruiting staff.

Overall Tasmanians tend to be pretty invisible to most recruiting teams which is a shame because we have a big talent here I think. The only real knock on him from my perspective is he is a little on the short side. Playing in the middle of the ground and playing tall I think more than compensates.

Knightmare

#28 (Brisbane) – Josh Green (TAS)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 24/08/1992
Recruited from: Clarence
Style: Jason Akermanis/ Brent Harvey
Range: 25-45
Why: Excellent inside ball winner with a very nice skill set. Has great speed, endurance, and is a big time ball winner and good user of the ball. Loves kicking a goal and is an expert around the stoppages. Hard runner. Has speed around the ball. Has clean handling and ball use on both sides of the body. He can also go forward and kick some goals, remember a Jason Akermanis type goal on the right from the boundary during the u18 champs. Another red head kid you will notice and we all know how Vossy loves his red heads.

Josh Green – 2010 AFL Draft Prospect

Josh Green

Position: Midfielder

History: Green is a midfielder from Clarence in Tasmania who can play inside or outside which makes him a potentially valuable pick for an AFL club right off the bat.
His pace, stoppage work and goal sense only enhances the chances of him getting selected in the top 5 of the draft.
Basically, he has all makings of a quality midfielder.
At the moment he stands at 179cm (although he has been listed as 181cm in the Prospectus) and 78kgs which is a little bit short, but not too bad.

He’s had a good start to the Under 18 Championships against Queensland with 35 touches and two goals, including one great set-shot along the boundary when the pressure was on.

Given his attributes, if he continues this form, he is an extremely good chance to be taken high in the first round.

green1.jpg

Green wins U-18 medal
Sourced: The Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
October 28th 2010 04:23

OUTSTANDING football talent Josh Green has been named the Davidson Medal winner as the state's best Under-18 player at the AFL Tasmania State Academy Awards held in Launceston yesterday.

The two-time TSL premiership player for Clarence secured the medal with 70 votes, 20 clear of joint runners-up, Devonport's Rhys Mott and North Hobart's Sam Darley.

edit_preview.php

Link to article

Green has had an outstanding 2010. Not only was he part of Clarence’s successful defence of its TSL title, he captained Tasmania’s Under 18 team, was awarded Tasmania’s MVP award for the NAB National Under 18 Championships and was named in the 2010 All-Australian Under 18 team.

edit_preview.php

Draft day hopes for mates
ADAM SMITH
August 14, 2010 08.58am

IF there is one thing life-long friends Josh Green and Jake Gilbee wish for other than being picked up by an AFL club later this year it is to hear one another's name called out on draft day.
Since their junior days at St Johns Primary right through Sorell's underage sides, the pair have been almost inseparable.
While Gilbee went to Lauderdale to pursue his senior career -- Josh was playing soccer at the time before joining Clarence shortly after -- the two have remained best mates.

edit_preview.php

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would imagine he will be pretty happy with his mate just down the m1.

Nice thought on the matchup but not sure Gilbee would make your best side at the moment. Green may not even be in ours.

Rob Kerr

"We paused a little bit before picking Josh. The question there was, do we add another midfielder or do we go for a key-position player? We got a couple of tall boys, but we were thinking about a genuine key-position player. In the end, we felt Josh was too good a player to pass up."

Paul Daffey's Phantom Draft

32. BRISBANE LIONS - Josh Green
Height:
177cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 24/08/92
Club: Clarence (Tas)
Draft range: 30-50
Green would have been considered unlikely to go so early before the combine, but he interviewed exceptionally well and he showed in the sprint tests that he's faster than most had believed. During interviews, he got on the front foot and asked what each club thought of his height and body type (squat). All said it was no problem. The Lions are believed to be the keenest.

Tassie trio picked up in AFL draft

Green was Tasmania's top pick, taken at number 32 in round two. He says he was not expecting to be picked so early.
"I am really happy with that and you know all the hard work has paid off for this year and you know all those extra sessions and it has paid off," he said.
"I am really, really happy with that and it all begins now, I have not made it at all, I have just started and to get up there in a professional environment and just see what I can do."

edit_preview.php

What a great quote. Future leader I reckon. Bandwagon starts here. :D

OK, I'll concede that Quigley might get the reins, but I call shotgun!

2010 Under 18 All Australian Team

Defenders: Ben Jacobs (VM), Matt Watson(VM), Dyson Heppell (VC), Shaun Atley (VC), Patrick McCarthy (SA), Brodie Smith (SA)
Midfield: Jared Polec (SA), Daniel Gorringe (SA), Andrew Gaff (VM), Mitch Hallahan (VC), Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT), Tom Liberatore (VM)
Forwards: Harley Bennell (WA), Lucas Cook (VC), Adam Treloar (VC), Jayden Pitt (VC), Steven May (NT), Josh Caddy (VM)
Interchange: Sam Day (SA), Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT), Josh Green (Tas), Sam Darley (TAS)
Coach: Robert Hyde (VC)
Assistant coach: Matt Armstrong (Tas)

Paul Daffey Draft Watch

First thought? Too dumpy - Greg Williams types come along once in a blue moon. Then you watch Green and you can’t help but be impressed by his ball-finding ability, by his speed in getting his boot to the ball, by his kicking to position. He hunts and he tackles. He’s a natural footballer. But then you look at him. Will AFL recruiters go for that? Let’s hope so.

edit_preview.php

Draft Combine

Agility run - top 10

1. Billie Smedts 7.90
2. Dion Prestia 8.00
3. Viv Michie 8.01
4. Aaron Mullett 8.03
5. Ryan Brabazon 8.04
6. Josh Green 8.07
7. Mitchell Wallis 8.07
8. Jacob Gilbee 8.10
9. Daniel Farmer 8.13
10. Jayden Pitt 8.15

What a great quote. Future leader I reckon. Bandwagon starts here. :D

OK, I'll concede that Quigley might get the reins, but I call shotgun!

I'm on the Green Machine - welcome aboard Josh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back