justinclarke.jpg

Highlights

* 2012 review (#100)

Merrett-Murray Medal Votes

Re: Justin Clark

Booleroo boy has AFL scouts excited
  • by: Reece Homfray
  • September 10, 2011 12:00AM
WORD is out that there's a 17-year-old centre half-back in the bush who moves like Dustin Fletcher.
The bush telegraph has been ringing with it ever since North Adelaide convinced 196cm Justin Clarke to leave the family farm at the foot of the Flinders Ranges to play one SANFL reserves game in July.
In the following weeks a horde of AFL scouts has driven three hours north of Adelaide to see the boy from Booleroo Centre for themselves.
"That first training session he had with us was fairly physical and I think he copped a whack in the face and got a blood nose but he just got on with it," Francou said.
"It was good to see that in a young kid. He moves well and looks a natural footballer and our plan is to get him down after harvest."

justinclark2.jpg

@KateStevens35

Less than 24 hours til Rookie Draft, I hope Justin Clarke gets a gig somewhere if not at the Lions. Top guy. Been a pleasure having him here

Looks like Kate got her wish and we got our man.

The Brisbane Lions' write-up:

Our first pick, No. 4, was used for Justin Clarke from Booleroo Melrose Wilmnington. Justin is a 195cm key position prospect who was enticed to play one game with North Adelaide's Reserves in the SANFL, but preferred to play out the rest of the season with his local side.

Edit: Bah, Grim deleted my spelling correction post. Cover up! ;)

BigFooty Phantom PSD and Rookie Draft (Offsider)

Pick 2: Gold Coast - Justin Clarke

I have never seen him live and only have limited reports and a bit of video to go off. Yet he looks a reasonable CHB option. Has the basic tools, yet very much untested against better opponents.

He looks a good athlete, especially agility, moves well with great closing speed. This should see him compete well in the future. He also looks to read the game very well and is reasonably strong body on body from a few reports. He has a nice mark as well for a defender and reads the ball well in flight. Defensively looks the part, from reports and the limited video I have of him. Offensively his skills are good, looked like he could get involved in rebound more. Needs to back himself more, although from limited viewing reports I could be wrong.

Chris25 PSD/Rookie Draft

#5 Adelaide - Justin Clarke (195cm defender - Booleroo, Melrose, Wilmington)

Tall 17 year old playing CHB in the Northern Areas Football Association, very much a country boy. North Adelaide have been trying to get him out to play SANFL, but he only came down for one reserves game as he has preferred to focus on his school and work on the farm. I was up in Orroroo about 6 weeks ago and I heard from a couple of locals at the football about this kid that had interest from the AFL. Forgot all about him, until there was a story on him in the newspaper a couple of weeks back where they said scouts from up to 8 teams took the three hour drive to see him play. Definitely a prospect to watch given the lack of standout features in the games of other KPPs going around.

Knightmare

#64 Adelaide – Justin Clarke (SA - KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 18/11/1993
Recruited from:
Style: Dustin Fletcher
Player comparison:
Range: 45-rookie
Profile: Real country boy. Hasn’t played much football this year since he has been focusing on his study. Very clever and high character kid. Key defender with great potential. Very Dustin Fletcher like as that lanky full back. Really natural mover and doesn’t look out of place on the field. Very agile. Can physically hold his own even though physically he still has a long way to go which is promising.

The Cotch (footytragic.com)

PICK 27 (ADELAIDE) – JUSTIN CLARKE

Height: 193cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB:
Recruited from: North Adelaide

Clarke has been plucked from obscurity after playing a few senior games for North Adelaide. He wasn’t in the South Australian squad for the National Championships and all of the sudden he’s a genuine chance for the top thirty. I don’t see him getting past Geelong at pick 34. Clarke has had quite a bit of interest from at least six AFL clubs. He is a genuine centre-half back, and locals say he is quite the outstanding talent. I can’t say I’ve seen him play, so I’ll keep my description at that.

Jason Phelan (afl.com.au)

38. Hawthorn - Justin Clarke
Height: 195cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 18/11/93
Club: Booleroo-Melrose-Wilmington
Draft range: 35-rookie
Clarke has come from the clouds in the tradition of the true smokey from the country. Several clubs travelled to Booleroo Centre, three-and-a-half hours' drive north of Adelaide, to watch the tall defender play earlier in the year and the Hawks liked what they saw. The addition of Clarke, along with former Bulldog Jarrad Boumann, possibly frees up Ryan Schoenmakers to the forward half where he played most of his junior footy.

This years Jack Redden for us. Although going through the mocks from his year can barely find as much on Jack as we have found on Justin. SA country boy, lets hope he works out as well. At least gives us a reserve CHB/FB.

Link ....

A fellow Rooster who could come from the clouds is rangy defender Justin Clarke, who has attracted the attention of Hawthorn among other AFL clubs. He has been likened to Essendon veteran Dustin Fletcher. The boy from Booleroo stands at 195cm but possesses the athleticism of a midfielder.

Rob Kerr

“Justin Clarke is still pretty raw, but has great potential as a second or third tall defender. For a guy that’s 195cm, he adds good pace and run.”

PICK NO.4 - JUSTIN CLARKE
Recruited From: Booleroo Melrose Wilmington, SA
Position: Tall Defender
Height: 195cm
Weight: 86cm
DOB: 18/11/1993

Rob Kerr

"Our South Australian scouts have had a look at him over the year and thought they saw some potential. He's got a bit of height about him and he's fairly quick for that size. He's fairly raw and a long-term investment but we thought we saw enough there to justify adding him to our group. A tall defender, he's good with his run and spread."

Link ....

A 195cm key position prospect, he was enticed to play one game with North Adelaide’s Reserves in the SANFL, but preferred to play out the rest of the season with his local side and remain close to the family’s cropping farm. Clarke went on to be named centre half-back in the Northern Areas Football Association’s Team of the Year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meet the rookies
2:26 PM Tue 13 Dec, 2011

• Hailing from the small country town of Booleroo - which is located three hours north of South Australia - Justin Clarke has become widely recognised for his all-round sporting ability.

• SANFL club North Adelaide have tried to lure the 18 year-old to join them in the city, while Woodville Cricket Club have also been keen to secure the right-arm fast bowler.

• North Adelaide eventually convinced Clarke to leave the family’s 1200ha cropping farm at the foot of the Flinders Ranges to play one SANFL reserves game in July. Despite being named in their best players, he returned home immediately afterwards to focus on Year 12 and run around for local side Booleroo Melrose Wilmington (BMW).

• He was named captain of BMW's senior colts side in 2010, but was quickly called up to fill in for the A-Grade side and never returned to the colts. He went on to be named centre half-back in the Northern Areas Football Association Team of the Year.

• Clarke also impressed off the field and in the classroom. He got his pilot licence in 2010 and applied for the Air Force, but was told he was too tall. He has also considered studying aerospace engineering and physics. He was also one of only six 2009 Premier's Anzac Spirit School Prize winners who were selected for a trip to Europe.

• He agreed to join the Lions’ pre-season training squad at the beginning of December in a bid to make it onto the Club’s rookie list.

Meet the rookies
2:26 PM Tue 13 Dec, 2011

What BMW Coach Cameron Redden says:
"In a month or so he had established himself as one of the best centre half-backs going around."

Cameron Redden. I wonder if there is a connection to our own Jack?
Did this connection alert us to the talents of Clarkey?

March 11, 2009

justinclarke.jpg

Trooper Mark Donaldson shows his Victoria Cross and other medals to (from left) Jessie Lewcock, St Peter's Collegiate Girls School (sitting) , Alice Dawkins, Loreto College, Matthew Leigh, Loxton High School, Melissa Crawley, Aberfoyle Park High School, Joel Grieger, Swan Reach Area School and Justin Clarke, Booleroo Centre District School (sitting).

02 Mar, 2011

justinclarke.jpg

Booleroo Centre District School leaders Justin Clarke and Callie Ayles accept the Palmer Shield.

Link ....

Among the best stories of the draft were the selections of Amos Frank (Hawthorn, pick 34) and Justin Clarke (Brisbane, pick 4).

Clarke, a tall defender from Booleroo aligned to North Adelaide, had scouts travel to the Flinders Ranges to see him play when he emerged as a draft smoky.

Video: Lions Welcome New Rookies

Dean Warren - "We picked up Justin Carke. He's been training with us for a week. A country South Australian boy. He'll hopefully develop into a really good key defender for us over a period of time."

Justin Clarke - "Mate, it was just pure elation. I was a bit nervous coming into the draft. From where I've come from it's a big step up, and I'm looking forward to the challenges... just really looking forward to getting into it."

justinclarke.jpg

Boy from Booleroo joins the big league
  • by: Zac Milbank
  • December 14, 2011 12:00AM
Clarke, among the eight SANFL players to be chosen, sent his father Ian a quirky text message once his name was called at pick No.4.
"He texted me to say: `I'm still a Lion'," Ian Clarke said.

"He had a meeting with the recruiting staff a couple of months ago before his draft screening and that very question was asked: `What would your thoughts be if Vossy (coach Michael Voss) said Browny is over there, I want you to take him on'.

"Justin smiled and gave a wonderful answer, he said: `Bring it on, I would just love it. He's one of the strongest players in the AFL and I would just love that opportunity to take that challenge on'."

6459009747_97182f2fd4.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Some more tweets from Kate Stevens

Link

My temporary roommate Justin Clarke is bouncing off the walls at being drafted today - it's infectious! :) #congratsbuddy #nicestblokealive

Link

@LeaLions he only just got a mobile two weeks ago! No reception on the farm. Baby steps towards Twitter!

Like the look of this kid. Will probably end up 200cm-ish.

Must have got a lot of back-slappers and smoke-blowers telling him he needed to be playing in the big smoke right now. The fact he had the self-assurance to finish school rather than get distracted by the shiny lights gives me a good feeling. Good character.

facebook (SA Football Scores and News)

Congratulations to Justin Clarke from Booleroo Melrose Wilmington(BMW) Footy club in the Mid North. Justin was picked up by Brisbane Lions at pick# 4 in todays AFL Rookie Draft.
He is a 195cm key position prospect who played one game with North Adelaide’s Reserves in the SANFL, but preferred to play out the rest of the season with his mates at BMW (runners up in their comp)
Enjoy living the dream in Brisvegas young man! (R)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back