Past Justin Leppitsch - Coach (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see this being a move to show the younger players who haven't signed that Leppa is going to be staying around for quite a while...

I can see this being a move to show the younger players who haven't signed that Leppa is going to be staying around for quite a while...
Yep, beautifully timed - suggesting newspaper headlines to be strategically placed at his March meeting with Liam Pickering perhaps? ;)

Perhaps the club also wanted to get in early given the potential for clubs with money and high expectations to underperform over the next two years. You would think that Leppa's impact on the team, club and culture would have been noted across the football world. Could have been some big offers coming Leppa's way, why not lock him in for the longer term.

Not sure if this is the place to put it ...

Was reading http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-the-hawks-coaching-philosophy.1089753/page-2 and found this post ...

I didn't put Longmire into my list of "best" coaches, to be honest. He was an awesome player though.

My best coaches (in no particular order) are Hinkley, Lyon, Scott, Clarkson.

Longmire probably a rung below that with Leppitsch, Roos and Rocket.

Everyone else is arguably either (a) unproven (Walsh, Cameron, Simpson, Beveridge, Richardson); (b) jury is still out on (Buckley, Hardwick, other Scott); or (c) should have already gone (Malthouse - past it / Hird - how he still has his job amazes me).

Thought it was interesting where Justin is sitting perception wise ... and wondering if that was just him or a more general feeling...

Leppitsch focused on season

A CONTRACT extension beyond next year is the last thing on Justin Leppitsch's mind as he focuses on the challenge of lifting the Brisbane Lions to a potential finals berth this season.

The three-time premiership player is entering his second season at the helm of the Lions with more resources at his disposal and three experienced midfielders bolstering his list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justin Leppitsch wants Brisbane Lions to remain attacking and not adopt defensive style

JUSTIN Leppitsch has vowed his Brisbane Lions will continue to throw punches and not adopt an ultra-defensive game style.

Brisbane are winless after three rounds and sit at the bottom of the ladder with a percentage of 51.4 after losses of 82 and 79 point in the past two weeks.

With their two main key forwards in Jonathan Freeman and Michael Close injured – the Lions lack a target in offence and haven’t looked like kicking the 15 to 20 goals needed to win most weekends in the AFL.

A jug of Kool-Aid please.

I know this isn't a consensus view on this forum, but I'm still completely convinced by Leppa. To my mind his thinking is always coherent and consistent with the flashes you see when we're playing well.

For sure there is a question of whether the team is currently equipped to play the game he wants them to, but I have a lot of confidence that he thinks through what he's doing and isn't just dogmatic.

Justin Leppitsch - spent 4 years as an assistant coach at Richmond before,
The Lions’ Senior Coach selection panel - including football manager Dean Warren, chief executive Malcolm Holmes, Brett Burton, Leigh Matthews and Leigh Schwab - recommended the board approve the appointment.
James North - Leigh Schwab?

In those 4 years the tigers finished:
15th of 16 in 2010
12/17 in 2011
12/18 in 2012 and
5th of 18 in 2013 - worth noting this was the tigers first final in 12 years.

It is also suggested Peter Schwab would work as a mentor for Leppitsch. This is the second youngest squad in the league and you don't have to go back too far in time to check the form/results of the two previously youngest/newest AFL franchise teams. This boat ain't going to be turned around overnight and I'm comfortable the turnaround has begun and would not be surprised if within a four year period [by September 2017 one year later than the previously heralded] we will be playing finals again.

GO LIONS!!!

Leppa: Take the game on

JUSTIN Leppitsch says he is prepared to wear mistakes from his young Brisbane Lions team if they continue to take the game on.

The most glaring problem in Sunday's 53-point loss against West Coast – the Lions' fourth to start 2015 – was their poor ball use, particularly in the first half.

However, for the second week in succession, Leppitsch has preached patience, and says he is far happier with his team taking risks and failing, rather than playing conservatively and minimising the damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back