Past Justin Leppitsch - Coach (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppitsch Signs Contract Extension

Brisbane Lions Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch has agreed to terms on a contract extension to the end of 2017.

The new deal was announced by Brisbane Lions Chairman Bob Sharpless at the Club’s Season Launch in Brisbane tonight in front of 300 sponsors and supporters.

During his two years as Senior Coach, Leppitsch has been central to an overhaul of the playing list and Football Department operations that has the Club poised to reap the rewards in the years ahead.

Justin Leppitsch: There Are No Excuses

FRESH from inking a new contract extension, Justin Leppitsch says there are "no excuses" for the Brisbane Lions from this season.

After two seasons in charge, Leppitsch has agreed to a deal that will keep him at the Gabba until at least the end of 2017.

He said after huge changes of personnel both on and off the field since his tenure began, the Lions now have all the building blocks in place to climb back up the ladder.

"There's no excuses as far as personnel goes," Leppitsch said.

"That's just the facts. The beauty is we're only going to go up from here."

Lions focused on winning the contested ball against Suns

ALTHOUGH there's been a bit of verbal niggle in the build up to Saturday's QClash, coaches Justin Leppitsch and Rodney Eade agree on one thing.

The match will be won around the contest.

And while that's no great revelation, at their respective press conferences on Friday, both downplayed the element of physical aggression (Eade called it "senseless") and preferred to talk about winning the footy.

The Lions are winless, and coupled with a tough draw the first three weeks, their biggest downfall has been gift-wrapping the ball to the opposition through turnovers.

Leppitsch said that had to change against the red-hot Suns, but his main concern was contested ball numbers.

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch wants 'eye for an eye' approach to tribunal

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has called for a review of football's judicial system following Steven May's serious hit on Lions ruckman Stefan Martin, the second brutal head clash suffered by the club this season.

Leppitsch believes the AFL should look at the introduction of an "eye for an eye" approach when handing out lengthy suspensions and ensure the offending player miss any return clash against the injured player's club. Under the Leppitsch proposal, May, if suspended, should serve one of his games when the Gold Coast next take on the Lions.

"I believe it's what should happen," said the Brisbane coach, who added that Martin was no certainty to line up against the Western Bulldogs in round five. "Otherwise the team who's lost a player gets no benefit. "If you know you're playing them again that year then one of the weeks should be against the club concerned.

"It happened earlier this year with Jeremy Cameron and Rhys Mathieson. "Cameron was suspended for four weeks but we get no advantage out of that and Rhys has effectively missed six weeks. "It's definitely something that has merit because you also lose the advantage on the day. You might lose the game due to the loss of a player so it costs the team a win and that team gets no benefit from the suspension. "Obviously if you're not playing that team again in the same year then the suspension is just served as normal." Mathieson is expected to return this weekend, lining up in Brisbane's NEAFL side after undergoing surgery in March for a fractured cheekbone. Under the Leppitsch solution, one game of Cameron's suspension should be served in round 17 when GWS plays Brisbane at the Gabba.

Similarly, should May miss the predicted five or six games for his high hit on Martin, who missed the rest of what resulted in a narrow Lions victory, one of those missed weeks should come in round 16 in the next Q-Clash at Metricon Stadium. While Leppitsch and his club are still seething at the May incident, which followed last season's high bump on captain Tom Rockliff, for which the defender was suspended for three games, the coach insisted his views were not new.

May has apologised publicly and privately to Martin and plans to attend Tuesday's tribunal hearing. Although ruckman Martin passed a concussion test on Monday the coach said the club would not make a selection call until assessing him at training. Leppitsch pointed out that the after-effects of serious head clashes suffered by the recently retired Justin Clarke had played out dramatically at training. "We found both Clarkey and 'Goose' (Matt McGuire) struggled to run," said the coach.

Leppitsch added that he did not support calls for the send-off rule. "That just places too much pressure on the umpires," he said. "I'm not saying change it now or act on the spur of the moment. I just believe it's a reform that has some merit and I've felt that for some time. It's something that deserves discussion at the end of the season."

I quite like coach Leppitsch's theory on the suspended player serving one week of a multi week suspension against the club the offence occurred against, although it definitely opens a can of worms should that next encounter be a final or GF.

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch wants 'eye for an eye' approach to tribunal

I quite like coach Leppitsch's theory on the suspended player serving one week of a multi week suspension against the club the offence occurred against, although it definitely opens a can of worms should that next encounter be a final or GF.

I think he covers that - "If you know you're playing them again that year then one of the weeks should be against the club concerned." i.e. it only applies if it's part of that year's remaining fixture.

Lions tee up golf pros to fix yips

WAYWARD Brisbane forwards have turned to golf professionals to cure their goalkicking yips.

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch says the club is trying a number of methods to fix the inaccuracy in front of goal that has threatened to undermine their 2016 season.

“We’ve got [assistant coach] Ben Hudson looking into some golf pros, some of the things they do, and the mindset stuff they have going into what they do … golf’s always been a good analogy. With putting and driving it’s as much a mindset as it is a skill itself,” Leppitsch said.

“There’s so many theories flying around with goalkicking. Do you practice just kicking goals? So kick from the top of the square and you just get used to success, or do you try the harder shots? Do we use external things to help us?”

The Lions have kicked 32 goals and 54 behinds in their last three outings, and Leppitsch says it is vital to be on target early.

“It is [contagious]. When the first guy misses, the second guy has twice as much pressure. When he misses for the third guy it gets worse, and by the eighth guy he just doesn’t even want the ball,” Leppitsch said.

“So that’s the way it works. Nothing’s changed in 100 years of footy there, and what’s got to happen this week is the first guy has got to kick the goal and settle us down … It’s really important that we finish off the good work that we’re doing.”

Brisbane takes on the second-placed Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

So we've finally enlisted The Golfing Lion to sort out our goalkicking issues :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppitsch still right man for Lions: CEO

BRISBANE CEO Greg Swann says the club will continue to back coach Justin Leppitsch despite the “disgraceful’’ 78-point loss to Collingwood at the Gabba on Saturday night.

A shocked Leppitsch took responsibility for the woeful performance post-matchwhen he declared “the buck stops with me’’.

It was his 40th loss in 52 games as coach and Brisbane supporters vented their fury with the insipid effort on social media, and with their feet by leaving the Gabba in droves early.

It could yet get worse with star midfielder Dayne Beams missing the fourth quarter with a knee tendinitis issue that may sideline him for another extended period.

He pulled up sore on Sunday and the club expects to know the extent of the damage on Monday.

It is the same injury that forced Beams to miss the first six games of the year and Swann said the 26-year-old would be given the rest of the season to get it right if that was necessary.

Swann said the Lions still believed Leppitsch, who recently signed a one-year contract extension until the end of 2017, was the right man for the job.

“Nothing has changed, I have no doubt he can coach,’’ Swann said.

“We are sticking fat.

Last week he (Leppitsch) put it on the leadership and midfield groups (after the loss to Port Adelaide) and this week he took responsibility as the coach. And he’s right, the buck stops with the coach.’’

Swann envisaged the axe falling on players at match committee this week after a horrible scoreless first quarter and Collingwood having 28 scoring shots to three by halftime.

“We’ve got to make some (on-field) changes but we are hoping this is an aberration,’’ Swann said.

“I thought we had turned the corner against the Swans when we were combative and we started off really well against Port.

“But then we were really poor in the last three quarters against the Power and we didn’t give a yelp against Collingwood.

“We were belted out of the middle again, belted in clearances, belted in the hardball.

“The test now for the group is how they respond after that. It (the home game against Collingwood) is always our biggest game and we were disgraceful, really.’’

Brisbane have salary cap space to make a serious play at a marquee player in the off-season but Swann said the Lions needed to lift their on-field efforts to have any hope of landing a big fish.

“We have (got cap space) but you’ve got to give them an attractive proposition. Performances like that don’t help,’’ he said.

Lions football director and deputy chairman Leigh Matthews said it was a “really bad performance’’ against Collingwood.

“They just looked so lacking in energy … you are almost hoping there was a virus through the club,’’ he said on Channel 7’s Gameday on Sunday.

0d7e28e9a2ad1bdcb0b4204350a3c04e

Justin Leppitsch making no apologies for Brisbane’s struggles as he hopes rebuild will return club to glory days

“That’s the path we are taking, no apologies for that … unfortunately with that comes a little bit of pain as far as wins and losses,’’ he said.

“It’s no fun for anyone, let alone the senior coach but I really enjoy working with these boys and I can see the future.

“We feel that we’ve done the hardest part (with) 34 list changes in the last three years. We’ve got the kids there ready to go.

“We had to go backwards to go forwards. There was no doubt about that.

“You’ll forget about these times pretty quickly but if we don’t invest in these times, you won’t get the glory days either.’’

Leigh Matthews says Justin Leppitsch is safe at Brisbane Lions

“If we thought the team would be better off with another coach, then we would go down that path but we don’t believe that,’’ Matthews said.

“Are we going to change? No. Are we going to persevere? Yes. We’ll always do what’s best for the club and once you make a decision on people, you’ve got to give them enough time.

“That time isn’t complete. We are in the middle of it.

“Once you embark on significant change, then you’ve got to embark on some significant perseverance to allow that change to take effect.’’

Justin Leppitsch on QClash 12

JUSTIN Leppitsch doesn't sense any residual hatred from his players, but hasn't ruled out another spiteful clash against Gold Coast on Saturday.

The Brisbane Lions upset the Suns by 13 points when the teams met in Round 4, but the game will best be remembered for Steven May's high hit on Stefan Martin that resulted in a five-match suspension.

Tempers flared in the aftermath of the hit, but the Lions regained their composure during the second half to record their only victory of the season.

When asked about the simmering rivalry on Friday morning, Lions coach Leppitsch said he wasn't totally sure how his players felt about the Suns.

"I guess we'll find out won't we, whether the incident last time will linger on to this time," Leppitsch said.

"We'll wait and see.

"I don't sense that from the playing group, but you know what it's like when they're out on the footy ground, footballers, anything can happen."

The Lions have a two-from-five QClash record under Leppitsch, with both wins at the Gabba – 2014 and this year – big upsets.

"It's always a spiteful game when we play Gold Coast, we know that, being the local rivalry, but more than anything the winning is the most important thing for us," he said.

"We might get ourselves up a bit more for this particular game, I don't know.

"We've been in similar parts of the ladder the last couple of years, both teams, it's just whoever gets up on that day."

Fresh from the bye, the Lions have welcomed back vice-captain Dayne Zorko, who missed playing Richmond for personal reasons, and will unveil debutant Reuben William.

Leppitsch said he was excited by William's flair and attack on the football.

Above all else though, the Lions coach wants – and needs – a win.

"I'd like to think every game we go out and try to be aggressive, not just at QClash," he said.

"I'd hate to think we only bring it in this particular game.

"We've proven we can do it for quarters, halves, three quarters, it's about longevity for us as a group."

An angry Justin Leppitsch says players in his struggling AFL side Brisbane have been unfair media targets

Under-fire Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has lashed out at continued media criticism of the AFL club and his players.

A newspaper column on Saturday took square aim at Tom Rockliff, describing him as overweight and a regular on Brisbane's social scene who sets a bad example as Lions skipper.

It comes on the back of another difficult week for the Lions who were forced to deny fresh reports of player unrest.

Speculation about Rockliff's future continues to circulate, despite the captain being under contract until the end of 2017.

Leppitsch said he could deal with being a target himself, but he wouldn't stand by and let his players be unfairly criticised.

"Some of the crap that's written about our players, basically lies written in the press annoy me, about our boys," he told reporters on Saturday morning.

"Some of our young boys don't deserve it, like Squiz (Lewis Taylor) and our captain as well, copping it for no reason - it's all rubbish.

"That kills me, but I can cop it, so bring it on. I'm big and strong enough to handle it and to be honest I don't really rate the opinions of those that are speaking, so that's the way it goes."

Reports have linked Rockliff to a possible move to Adelaide when he becomes a free agent at the end of next season.

But his manager has denied the move, and Leppitsch maintained there are no underlying tensions at the Lions.

"There's reasons why you lose, but one thing people can't understand is that we have a young group that makes errors which is why we lose, and it adds up to losing," he said.

"Some people want it to be some mysterious reason - someone hates somebody. It's garbage."

The Lions host Greater Western Sydney at the Gabba on Sunday and are odds-on to book what would be a club record 12th consecutive defeat.

Leppitsch said the rise of the Giants was proof what the Lions were trying to do wasn't unprecedented.

"People don't remember they've had a two-win season, a one-win season, a six, 11 and now what they're doing this year," he said.

"Our list management and planning is mirroring what they're doing as a club."

Leppa's temper not an issue for Lions, says Swann

BRISBANE Lions chief executive Greg Swann has denied any suggestion the struggling club has an issue with coach Justin Leppitsch's temper.

Leppitsch has come under fire after reacting angrily to rumours of a player revolt at the Lions during a press conference last week.

Leppitsch labelled the rumours "crap", "lies" and a "bunch of bulls**t" as the pressure continues to mount on the former Lions premiership star.

Last weekend's loss to Greater Western Sydney was a club-record equalling 12th in a row and leaves the Lions with just one win from 16 matches this season.

Swann however says any suggestion Leppitsch's outburst was reflective of a temper problem was rubbish.

"He's very measured - that stems from one minor blow-up at a press conference," Swann told Brisbane's Triple M radio.

"Every coach in the world has had a minor blow-up at a press conference but from the playing group's point of view there's certainly no bad tempers."

Leppitsch on 'unacceptable efforts'

JUSTIN Leppitsch described parts of Saturday night's loss against Port Adelaide as embarrassing and unacceptable, but stuck solid to his belief the Brisbane Lions are on the right track.

Leppitsch said there were signs of improvement after the 94-point drubbing that left his team floundering at 2-16.

He pointed to debutant ruckman Archie Smith – who was quite sensational in his first outing – and a handful of other youngsters that weren't quite up to it against the Power but had shown glimpses during the season.

But even Leppitsch conceded the Lions' biggest loss of the season mirrored so many of their other heavy defeats; a good start, only to be hit with a knockout punch in the second term they couldn't respond to.

Backs to the wall for the Lions: Leppa

THE BRISBANE Lions have knuckled down defensively this week to prepare for the competition's most potent attack, says coach Justin Leppitsch.

The Lions coughed up a season-high 173 points against Port Adelaide last weekend and now face the daunting trip to Adelaide Oval on Saturday night to take on the Crows.

It represents the game's best attack against its worst defence.

Leppitsch has kept a brave face all season and did so again on Thursday morning, saying, "I want to win," and expecting to do so off the back of improved defence.

They'll need to, with his team conceding a whopping 128 points a game and confronting a multi-dimensional forward line that includes Eddie Betts, Taylor Walker, Josh Jenkins and Tom Lynch.

Leppitsch says after missing 35 tackles against the Power, the Lions had worked hard on fixing their defence this week.

"Obviously defence has to be our focus, and we're working on that hard, structurally, and the skill-based stuff, sticking tackles and things like that," he said.

"Both are falling apart at the moment.

"We own that.

"We'll be doing some more work on it, we have the whole year but it's been an extra focus the last few weeks and hopefully that part of our game improves."

On a structural front, Leppitsch said they had worked on one-on-one contests and finding opponents in transition – an area that has killed the Lions all year.

He said his young team struggled to combine zone defence with man-on-man, depending on the game situation.

Even with a 2-16 win-loss record, Leppitsch was sticking by his players.

"It's the sort of week where you can drop 15 blokes or stick with them, and we're probably more with the stick-with-them phase," he said.

"We know it's a difficult challenge but we accept the challenge. You accept it or you don’t, that's the two options you've got in footy.

"I know exterior people think, you're going down and it's just the (losing) margin, but I don't think like that, I go to every game to win and I want our players to feel the same.

Leppitsch said regular ruckman Stefan Martin was unlikely to play, although if he got through Thursday's main session strongly he was still an outside chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back