Khawaja as opener?

Remove this Banner Ad

Khawaja
Marsh
Ponting
Watson
Clarke
Hussey

This. I don't get why everyone seems to think that Marsh has to bat at three just because that's where he played against Sri Lanka, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter whether Marsh or Khawaja open or bat at three as they are both suited to either.

I like the idea of having Marsh and Khawaja opening the batting together, if Ponting is still in the team he might as well be at three, love the idea of Watson at four, Clarke bats best at five and Hussey to play his "classic Hussey" role at number six. This leaves Hughes out of the side for now but as their is an injury he is next in line (Warner not far behind if he can continue to do well at First Class level).

If Ponting retires or is dropped by the end of the summer I think Khawaja should go down to three with Hughes to come in at the top of the order (Warner and Cowan also in the mix).

Here is my TEST XI for Hobart:

David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Ricky
Michael Clarke (CAPTAIN)
Michael Hussey
Daniel Christian
Brad Haddin
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Mitchel Starc
Nathan Lyon

BOXING DAY

David Warner
Shane Watson
Usman Khawaja
Ricky
Michael Clarke
Daniel Christian
Brad Haddin
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Patrick Cummins
Nathan Lyon
No Finch?

When coming in at 3, only once has Khawaja gotten to come in with the score past 55 and 3 times has come in with it 11 or less.

He's just about opening anyway, let him do it properly.

Warner/Khawaja opening is a good balance between aggression and patience and Marsh has been good at 3. Add in Ricky/Clarke/Huss/Watson and all of a sudden we have a far less fragile looking batting order.

When coming in at 3, only once has Khawaja gotten to come in with the score past 55 and 3 times has come in with it 11 or less.

He's just about opening anyway, let him do it properly.

Warner/Khawaja opening is a good balance between aggression and patience and Marsh has been good at 3. Add in Ricky/Clarke/Huss/Watson and all of a sudden we have a far less fragile looking batting order.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Khwaja open with Warner. Then Clarke, Watson, Hussey and Ponting. I don't why Ponting can't finish his career down the order. Would love to have Marsh in there over Ponting but sadly he is always injured.

Got to say I have a lot of man love for khawaja as a test batsman.

He just has to get some time working with spin, although he kept vettori out will, the great kiwi isn't quite the turner some of the indians and lankans are.

I hate to use the word luck but he hasn't had the luck say hughes has had (caught behind not called or referred, several dropped catches).

He just has the ability to wear down an attack which will protect clarke and punter.

Lets be honest punter and clarke were being exposed to the new ball too early.

clarke's no.4 average is about 20, his no.5 average is about 50, it maybe psychological, but he can't deal with the new ball, which, with hughes, punter and a few others out of form, he's been having to do.

I'd rather khawaja average 40 over 120 balls and break some of the new energy of the bowers than hughes average 40 over 45 balls by scoring 100 ever 6 innings and 10 the rest, exposing the weakness of our middle orders.

Let khawaja and marsh and watson (who is a great player lacking brains) break the backs of the bowlers with their initial onslaught, then let punter, hussey and clarke pile on the runs in the middle while we look at some of the other talent coming through to replace huss and punter.

3/20 with hughes/warner/watson v 3/100 with marsh, watson and khawaja I'm thinking.

Nice if we can have haydo's and langer, where hayden can average 50 by flaying the attack and langer 45 playing defensively and a 28 year old punter coming in at 3, but that isn't going to happen in the short term looking at what we have.

Khawaja is a 50 average batsman with a 50 SR, and that is what we need at the top of the order.

Clarke must remain at five.

concur, i am starting to think its a psychological thing.

it doesn't help that the openers have been clarke and hussey for much of the past year.

Clarke is rubbish at 4, but steve waugh at 5. average 20 at 4, 50 something at 5.

I think its time to accept that he has a problem, live with, and utilise him where he is at his optimum.

It didn't hurt border or s.waugh that they batted at 5 and were the rocks of the middle order, averaging 50 plus.

Clarke has another 4 to 5 years of test cricket. I'd rather he batted at 5 and averaged 50.

Khawaja
Marsh
Ponting
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon.

Effectively pushes Warner to fourth or fifth on the opening list, which is a great, great thing. Not sure about Ponting back at three but I really really want Watson at four.

Marsh isn't your answer.

Too old, too injury prone, and never dominant enough to be a certain starter.

Watson looks like a #4 to me.

Khawaja could bat anywhere; he hasn't set the world on fire yet, but he's going to be very, very good.

Clarke has to stay where he is, has been a terrible failure when moved up.

Could shift Watson to 3 or 4, and Hussey to the other 3 or 4 spot; Punter to 6?

Marsh isn't your answer.

Too old, too injury prone, and never dominant enough to be a certain starter.

Watson looks like a #4 to me.

Khawaja could bat anywhere; he hasn't set the world on fire yet, but he's going to be very, very good.

Clarke has to stay where he is, has been a terrible failure when moved up.

Could shift Watson to 3 or 4, and Hussey to the other 3 or 4 spot; Punter to 6?

If Ponting would agree to bat at 6 I think it would have happened by now. I think we all agree he would be a good fit at 6 with the current side, sadly I just don't think it will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Ed Cowan will have to go back to NSW to get noticed. How Hughes and Warner are ahead of him is a joke. Now their's talk about throwing a number 3 NSWman up the order. Does anyone know what Cowan is averaging this year?

Looks like Ed Cowan will have to go back to NSW to get noticed. How Hughes and Warner are ahead of him is a joke. Now their's talk about throwing a number 3 NSWman up the order. Does anyone know what Cowan is averaging this year?

He averages 64, including the A game. For the record, Warner averages 76, including the A game and last Test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back