Kittens

Remove this Banner Ad

im 19 and thinking about getting a kitten (i would name it Travis) i've been reeding up on it and it seems like a huge commitment.

it would also be my first real pet i had fish and they all died within a couple of years.

i got no issue with the resposabilities involved however i would be devo if it a life threatening illness that i cannot afford to fix.

anyways my question is are all the long term commitments and the fact that it will likely die b4 you worth it?

oh and could you please rate the expereience out of ten.

Cats are awesome. All they do is eat and sleep. The only hard thing is toilet training them at the start. Having to have the kitty litter inside for a month or so is abit annoying. Other than that they are awesome.

Cats > Dogs

Cats are great pets to have , maybe get a short haired one as long haired cats just continually malt. But otherwise no probelm they go to teh toliet in the one place and are rather easy pets to look after.

And are a constant form of entertainemnt as kittens, always trying something

mate, at one point in time... unless its an outside cat, which would defeat the purpose of having a cat for company and as a pet... it WILL piss or s**t in the house. lol

Maybe a cat isn't your thing.

mate, at one point in time... unless its an outside cat, which would defeat the purpose of having a cat for company and as a pet... it WILL piss or s**t in the house. lol

Maybe a cat isn't your thing.

so long as it shits on designated areas im happy. But training one to do that can be done right?

Man I thought this thread was gonna be about a certain gentleman's establishment. :eek:

Haha, me too.

I have a feeling this thread will get quite a lot of views compared to posts:D

Earlier this year we got a new kitten (Marty). We'd had cats before but I'd never been around while they were kittens, so getting this new kitten was a whole new experience.
We were never planning on getting a kitten but a friend was giving it away & we just couldn't resist him.

It was good at first because as he was growing up he learnt lots of things from our old cat & they became good buddies. Then the old cat died & he was on his own. So he's now bonded with our dog.....

When he was a kitten, we found it really easy to toilet train him. Every now & then, we'd just take him over to the kitty litter & scratch his paws around in it, so he got used to what to do. He learnt really quickly & I don't think he ever went where he wasn't supposed to.
Infact, as our old cat got older, he was the one peeing everywhere; mats, rugs etc. It was really bad :thumbsdown:.
Eventually Marty learnt how to use the doggy door so he takes him self out side if he needs to go to the toilet & he hasn't used the kitty litter for a few months now.

Now little Marty thinks he's a dog. He eats what the dog eats, goes where he goes, begs for food just like the dog. It's so adorable!

Only problem we find is that he jumps everywhere! He is always jumping on the furniture & kitchen benches. But he's learning not to. & also when he brings in little "presents" like little lizards & gekos...... Not nice :cool::p

I love cats, just the same as dogs. They are quite low maintenance; sleep, eat, clean themselves & enjoy playing. Great pets! :thumbsu:

What type of cat are you looking at?

Don't get a Siamese cat FFS. Madder than the British Aristocracy (and usually as inbred), given to ripping layers of skin off at a whim, learn to open doors in the house (even doorknobs as well as doorhandles) and - when angered - will usually leave a nasty deposit on your pillow.

Trust me, my mum used to breed 'em.

Me and my better-looking half had two kittens when I was still at College - both of 'em tortoise shells and they were awesome. One was 'Randy' (short for Randall, not what you're thinking) and one was 'Buffy' (i.e. Vampire Slayer). These mongrel cats were happy, friendly, fun and reasonably easy to clean up after. There was one 'accident' that no detergent on earth could remove, but we were renting and moved the furniture around when it was time to get the bond back :)

Scariest moment ever was when Randy was watching a night-time parade with us on our front step. We had the glow-sticks and put them down on the ground for a second. Next thing we know, we have the cat from hell - bright green teeth, mouth and howling like a dog :eek: Needless to say we doused it with water and no permanent damage done. Still freaks me out though...

Have fun choosing one Mars - I also highly recommend picking one up from the RSPCA to make sure it's in good health and can be saved from a worse fate...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crossed is good - at least it lessens the impact of the nutty gene. :thumbsu:

I'm pretty sure he inherited some of this nutty gene..... he goes absolutely psycho some times..... & it's funny watching him slide on the timber floors :p
Oh & he also is facinated by water, loves watching it; mum even gave him a bath the other day.....:confused::D

u can train cats to use a litter box
u can also buy something that progressively teaches them to use your toilet as well (i work at a pet store)

u can train cats to use a litter box
u can also buy something that progressively teaches them to use your toilet as well (i work at a pet store)
I think you'll find they use too much paper when they wipe though. :eek:

guys i read that it was easy to toilet train. and your telling me it aint. i sure as hell aint getting one if theres a chance that its conna piss on the carpet.

They are unbelievably easy to toilet train. I dont know why some here have said otherwise.

I had 3 kittens at once around your age, and they were my first pets. I had no idea what I was doing and didn't read any books. Honestly you just figure it out.

Kittens will pretty much go to the toilet straight after eating. So once it's done eating, pick it up, put it in the kitty litter and pick up it's paw and help it dig. I swear it will know what to do from there. I did this with all 3 and they knew what to do after one time. But just to be safe, go thru this process a few times and you'll have no issues.

guys i read that it was easy to toilet train. and your telling me it aint. i sure as hell aint getting one if theres a chance that its conna piss on the carpet.

They are unbelievably easy to toilet train. I dont know why some here have said otherwise.

I had 3 kittens at once around your age, and they were my first pets. I had no idea what I was doing and didn't read any books. Honestly you just figure it out.

Kittens will pretty much go to the toilet straight after eating. So one it's done, pick it up, put it in the kitty litter and pick up it's paw and help it dig. I swear it will know what to do from there. I did this with all 3 and they knew what to do after one time. But just to be safe, go thru this process a few times and you'll have no issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back