LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is to date the most hilarious response to the Catylist show from none other than the Grain and Legumes Council, who according to them are an "independent authority on the nutrition and health benefits of grains and legumes"

"CARBS make you fat and gluten-free diets make you thin, right? Wrong, according to the Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council.
The Grains and Legumes Nutrition Council (GLNC) are an independent authority on the nutrition and health benefits of grains and legumes, and frankly, they’re tired of the bad rap their beloved produce is getting. (lol)

Most recently, ABC’s Catalyst program came under fire over pushing a controversial low carbohydrate diet endorsed by scientists who claim that the current food pyramid should be inverted and instead of eating carbohydrates like breads and cereals, we should eat more fat.

The diet, which cricketer Shane Watson credits for his weight loss, was challenged by experts because it did not warn that a low-carb diet could be bad for bowel health, could leave you with constipation and bad breath, and because the diet does not contain enough nutrients..."

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...iet-myths-busted/story-fneuzkvr-1227128569297
That article is so amateur, no links just taking the legume board and heart foundation opinion. It should be criminal to write so much junk. Saying carbohydrates are nutrient dense and lchf nutrient deficient is so far off the ballgame it isn't funny.

Saying carbohydrates are nutrient dense and lchf nutrient deficient is so far off the ballgame it isn't funny.
Bleached & processed white flour constitute a huge proportion of dietary intake in Australia - virtually zero nutrients.

LCHF aside, just focusing on nutrient density would be a vast improvement to so many people's diets and it would be a fairly easy method of eating to stick to.

I love how the title has been changed to healthy fat.:cool:

I'm feeling better without the MCT oil but am getting my heart checked out just in case. Currently wearing a heart monitor that looks like a bomb. Going into my class this morning will be a hoot.

This is South Parks Pyramid.

Swap the meat with vegies (noone needs fruit unless for pleasure)

Ditch the grain.

And drop the dairy to the bottom.

GlutenFreeEbola-00076.png

Yep I saw that episode. It was a big laugh watching the dicks fly off.

Would it be worth only using the bones from just one chicken? Or would I need to collect a stash of chicken bones in the fridge over a few weeks? Also, does it taste nice?

I keep a couple of bags in the freezer - one for chicken bones and one for all other types. Not sure I'd trust leaving meat bones in the fridge for a few weeks.

Then just buy whatever extra you need from the butcher when it comes time to make it.

I only started making bone broth a couple of months ago and I swear it makes a noticeable difference to how sore my knees pull up after playing sport.

For good bone broth-

Simmer Pork, Beef and Lamb bones 40-48 hours, Chicken 18-24 hours and Fish 6-8 hours.

Soaking for 6-8 hours in cold water to begin with extracts more minerals than simmering in hot wajter.

Its 100% essential to add 1/4 cup quality apple cider vinegar to extract minerals from the bones.

The best bones are marrow, and cartilage and tendon for the collagen.

Cheap chicken carcases, necks, wings, and the best of the lot if you can get them is the feet. Same goes for pigs trotters, they are sensational for collagen.

Quality free range (close to 100% fat free by cutting/scraping off) pig skin, simmered (no vinegar) for 12 hours is unbeatable for collagen/gelatin. Cook it separate and add it to the final bone broth. Just about all commercial and medical collagen comes from pig skin/cow hide.

And my favourite tip is to keep it simple and dont muck around adding vegetables as its a waste of time. After the process is complete and you cool and lift away all fat, then reduce it by 75% and at this point I add 6 celery stalks to give it a nice natural salty flavour (thats the nitrates) and they are harmless, then add youe reduced pig skin broth and away you go.

Bone broth is rich in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium, It’s also rich in glycine and proline, aminos not found in significant amounts in muscle meat (the vast majority of the meat we consume). It also contains chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, the compounds sold as supplements to reduce inflammation, arthritis, and joint pain.

Why Broth is Beautiful: Essential Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin
www.westonaprice.org/food-features/why-broth-is-beautiful

Health Benefits of Chicken Broth
http://www.balancingbrainchemistry.co.uk/48/Health-Benefits-of-Chicken-&-Bone-Stock.html

Bone Broth Benefits for Digestion, Arthritis, and Cellulite
http://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/

The Power of the Almighty Bone Broth
http://thewellspring.org/wp-content/uploads/Bone-Broth-Full-Article.pdf

Last edited:
More questions from me, da noob.

How much bone broth should I drink per day?

Was told animal fat isn't ideal compared to nuts, eggs, avocados etc. How much animal fat is too much animal fat? or does it not really matter?

It matters heaps, as you need animal fat for omega 3 and that's something you cannot get properly from plants.

And with the broth i have a 280ml mug every day, and also most nights use around 150-200ml with 20g butter and 20ml refined coconut oil and whatever herbs and spices that are appropriate and blend to emulsify. It makes the best healthy and quick sauce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went out for dinner last night and was good for the main course, even though everyone I was with was digging into the carbs. Then I slipped up and had some timarisu for dessert. I just had a look at the ingredients and, besides the sugar content, it's actually not too bad. Eggs, mascarpone, cocoa and coffee. Could have been worse.

Man bone broth sounds so good and I hell want to try it, but the amount of time it takes I just know Ill forget about it and leave it simmering for too long or whatever..

Maybe when uni finishes up and Im home all day Ill give it a crack.
Bazzar, go on Recipe to Riches and get your bone broth recipe on that thing so I can just buy it from woolies already.. ;)

Man bone broth sounds so good and I hell want to try it, but the amount of time it takes I just know Ill forget about it and leave it simmering for too long or whatever..

Maybe when uni finishes up and Im home all day Ill give it a crack.
Bazzar, go on Recipe to Riches and get your bone broth recipe on that thing so I can just buy it from woolies already.. ;)
Still nothing wrong with the occasional 8 hour quick broth, and dont forget soaking in clod water in the fridge for up to 9 hours is ideal, that also makes it easier.

Bone Broth Is the New Coffee
by Epicurious Editors
on 11/19/14 at 12:45 PM
By Adeena Sussman

"At first glance, you'd think that customers outside chef Marco Canora's new outpost, Brodo, were just sipping coffee. But the steady stream of customers huddling in the cold outside the annex to Canora's East Village restaurant, Hearth, are actually sipping rich, flavorful broth out of those paper cups.

And Canora couldn't be happier with the switch. The chef believes that broth's benefits are far superior to the superficial stimulant of caffeine. In fact, by all accounts the soup is having a restorative effect on the eating public--and restoring one chef's faith in mankind..."
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2014/11/bone-broth-is-the-new-coffee.html

if you think an organization putting forward their opinion (one which I disagree with) is somehow a big conspiracy fair enough - but newsflash: that's how the world works.

Do you honestly think that without Peter Evans there would be a change in dietary habits across the country? Given the rate of obesity we currently have, I highly doubt it.

Interesting, but not surprising. And you dont think DAA and HF are doing the same here?

"ADA to Members: Spy on Private Citizens to Stifle Competition.

The American Dietetic Association, also known as the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, is feeling extremely threatened these days and apparently has for quite some time.
With it’s nutritional advice increasingly being ignored and even laughed at by a public that is waking up to the fact that its recommendations run completely contrary to the diets of healthy, disease free Traditional Cultures and hence will not help them lose weight, control blood sugar, and prevent cancer and heart disease, the ADA is resorting to illegal black hat tactics to stifle the competition.

The first shot across the bow resulted in the attempted muzzling of blogger Steve Cooksey by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition. Board censors issued a list of demands to Cooksey in a nineteen page, manifesto style letter which included a markup of his own blog in handwritten red pen like a high school term paper. He was told he must comply with the Board’s demands or else face up to a month and a half in prison.

Prison – for blogging? America, Land of the Free Muzzled and Home of the Brave Fearful?

Now, leaked documents by outraged members of the American Dietetic Association itself have blown the lid off the nationwide attempt by the ADA to corner the market in health and nutritional advice.

In an article written by Michael Ellsberg of Forbes magazine earlier this week, Ellsberg quotes from these leaked documents which show without a shadow of a doubt that the ADA:

“Openly discusses creating and using state boards of dietetics/nutrition (including in NC and in every other state in the union) for the express purpose of limiting market competition for its Registered Dietitian members.”

“Openly discusses a nation-wide plan of surveilling and reporting private citizens, and particularly all competitors on the market for nutrition counseling, for “harming the public” by providing nutrition information/advice/counseling without a license–through exactly the same means by which Cooksey was reported to the NC Board. Again, for the explicit purpose of limiting marketplace competition...

- See more at: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....s-to-stifle-competition/#sthash.PjkgT01B.dpuf

For good bone broth-

Simmer Pork, Beef and Lamb bones 40-48 hours, Chicken 18-24 hours and Fish 6-8 hours.

Soaking for 6-8 hours in cold water to begin with extracts more minerals than simmering in hot wajter.

Its 100% essential to add 1/4 cup quality apple cider vinegar to extract minerals from the bones.

The best bones are marrow, and cartilage and tendon for the collagen.

Cheap chicken carcases, necks, wings, and the best of the lot if you can get them is the feet. Same goes for pigs trotters, they are sensational for collagen.

Quality free range (close to 100% fat free by cutting/scraping off) pig skin, simmered (no vinegar) for 12 hours is unbeatable for collagen/gelatin. Cook it separate and add it to the final bone broth. Just about all commercial and medical collagen comes from pig skin/cow hide.

And my favourite tip is to keep it simple and dont muck around adding vegetables as its a waste of time. After the process is complete and you cool and lift away all fat, then reduce it by 75% and at this point I add 6 celery stalks to give it a nice natural salty flavour (thats the nitrates) and they are harmless, then add youe reduced pig skin broth and away you go.

Bone broth is rich in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium, It’s also rich in glycine and proline, aminos not found in significant amounts in muscle meat (the vast majority of the meat we consume). It also contains chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, the compounds sold as supplements to reduce inflammation, arthritis, and joint pain.

Why Broth is Beautiful: Essential Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin
www.westonaprice.org/food-features/why-broth-is-beautiful

Health Benefits of Chicken Broth
http://www.balancingbrainchemistry.co.uk/48/Health-Benefits-of-Chicken-&-Bone-Stock.html

Bone Broth Benefits for Digestion, Arthritis, and Cellulite
http://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/

The Power of the Almighty Bone Broth
http://thewellspring.org/wp-content/uploads/Bone-Broth-Full-Article.pdf

I've read cow knuckle bones are good too, about to make a bone both with Organic grassfed Wagyu beef bone marrow / knuckles & pig trotters plus the other usual stuff?

22 Nov 2014 - 12:15pm
Carbs more harmful than saturated fats: study

Long-derided saturated fats - associated with an array of health problems such as heart disease - caught a break Friday when research revealed their intake could be doubled or even nearly tripled without driving up their level in a person's blood.

Carbohydrates, meanwhile, are associated with heightened levels of a fatty acid linked to increased risk for diabetes and heart disease, the same study showed.

"The point is you don't necessarily save the saturated fat that you eat, and the primary regulator of what you save in terms of fat is the carbohydrate in your diet," senior author Jeff Volek of Ohio State University, said in the report.

Source:
AFP
22 Nov 2014 - 12:13 PM UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/22/carbs-more-harmful-saturated-fats-study
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/11/22/carbs-more-harmful-saturated-fats-study#comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back