LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just seeing how I go at the moment, really.

- Breakfast I'll have 3-4 eggs scrambled with red onion, capsicum, tomato and packed full of spinach.
- Lunch I make a chicken salad. Salad has all the usual suspects, but packed with avocado and plenty of olive oil. Either this, or I have a steak with salad.
- Dinner could be any number of things. I stray a little from LCHF and more into Paleo territory for this. It's also got to be something I can mostly pre-prepare because I work until 9pm every weeknight. Salmon and salad has become almost a staple here, but $$$.

I loosely follow LCHF and Paleo, and to be honest the two aren't too different from each other. It's difficult to make such a big change after being on a 'see food' diet, and pretty much eating anything for the best part of 23 years. What about you?

EDIT - Eating this way I have cut pretty much a whole meal from my diet, and I've also stopped taking creatine. I dropped a bit of weight in the first few days, but I'm now back to where I was weight wise, and looking much leaner. It has got to be muscle?

Sounds like me, go through that many eggs a week, it's ridiculous!

Sounds like me, go through that many eggs a week, it's ridiculous!

I just put a little chook pen in down the side of my place so I can supply my own from now on.

Should save me a bit of money and - perhaps more importantly - my conscience is clear now I won't be supporting the cruel mass-produced egg industry any more.

Brilliant! And you can control what they're fed. Well done :)

Yep, they're gunna be paleo chooks.

Well not fully, I do have some pellets in a feeder in there as back-up, but most of their diet will be from kitchen and garden scraps.

I'll be letting them out to scratch around in my compost heap once I secure any escape routes, apparently they're brilliant at doing all the work for you when it comes to turning and aerating compost.

I'm just seeing how I go at the moment, really.

- Breakfast I'll have 3-4 eggs scrambled with red onion, capsicum, tomato and packed full of spinach.
- Lunch I make a chicken salad. Salad has all the usual suspects, but packed with avocado and plenty of olive oil. Either this, or I have a steak with salad.
- Dinner could be any number of things. I stray a little from LCHF and more into Paleo territory for this. It's also got to be something I can mostly pre-prepare because I work until 9pm every weeknight. Salmon and salad has become almost a staple here, but $$$.

I loosely follow LCHF and Paleo, and to be honest the two aren't too different from each other. It's difficult to make such a big change after being on a 'see food' diet, and pretty much eating anything for the best part of 23 years. What about you?

EDIT - Eating this way I have cut pretty much a whole meal from my diet, and I've also stopped taking creatine. I dropped a bit of weight in the first few days, but I'm now back to where I was weight wise, and looking much leaner. It has got to be muscle?
Doesnt sound like LCHF to me. Whats your macro`s?

It's not something that's talked about too much, but if you know anyone who suffers from migraines, please mention LCHF to them.

I suffered from a massive head injury, and started having debilitating migraines (I've never had them before, nor has anyone in my family).

I started following LCHF and despite a small upswing in incidents the first month (changing diet from high carb/sugar to low carb/sugar can cause disruption), I found that the stricter I was, the more respite from migraines I had. I had a period of three months of eating LCHF fantastically well without a single cheat, and I didn't have any migraines at all - prior to LCHF, I'd been having them 2-3 times a week.

I suffered a temporary setback (lots of reasons, mostly stress), and that's when my doctor trialled me on some medicine because I was worried about missing work. The medicine seemed to keep my migraines at 1-2 a month, but I lost all of my energy and became completely reliant on carbs, constantly looking for a rush of energy. I kept trying to get back onto the wagon with LCHF but I couldn't cope because I was so washed out.

It took me a long time (18 months), but I finally realised that the medicine wasn't working for me, and went back to the doctor who realised that my thyroid had burnt out. This was a side effect of the tablets that I was on. I was pulled off that medicine and put onto another. My thyroid bounced back and my energy levels went back to pre-medicine days. Part of this was my own fault - I kept telling myself to man up and just try harder, when I should've gone back to the doctors earlier for help.

My migraines stabilised at 1 per month on the new medicine and with my energy levels back to normal, I felt capable of doing LCHF again. I used to be really slim prior to going on the first lot of medicine, and now I am overweight (well, eating high energy foods constantly will do that to you!) - so I thought I'd hit up LCHF again in an effort to drop some lbs.

Not only have I lost weight, but for the first time in 2 years, I've now gone 2 months without having a migraine.

So if you know someone that suffers from migraines, particularly visual ones, please suggest LCHF to them. I think my doctor first recommended it to me based on the epilepsy studies, but there does seem to be some crossover (least, there was for me).

Doesnt sound like LCHF to me. Whats your macro`s?
Well that's what I mean - I sort of blur the lines between LCHF and Paleo, which I'm happy to do right now. I'm not really sure where to get good fats from, but I'm only two weeks deep, so I'm still finding my way. I know you're going to suggest the whole BP coffee thing, but I don't drink coffee.

Honestly I'm just happier to be following a healthier lifestyle.

For me personally, I've found LCHF to one hell of a challenge. All my favourite foods are carbs! I have noticed the benefits though so I'm trying to find the balance, which has been difficult at times. My current goal is to LCHF during the week and have a few cheats on the weekends.
The guys who were advocating keto diets in the 90s (in the face of overwhelming bro-science) were following a very similar diet plan - advocating weekly+ "refeeds" and getting very good results. This style also allows a lifestyle of going out on a weekend and not ordering like a freak at a restaurant so is far easier to follow, which is an important diet consideration often overlooked.

'Tis designed more for power athletes and lifters than cardio types - and as an aside, if you want to get keto guys ranting - ask their opinion on Crossfit ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's what I mean - I sort of blur the lines between LCHF and Paleo, which I'm happy to do right now. I'm not really sure where to get good fats from, but I'm only two weeks deep, so I'm still finding my way. I know you're going to suggest the whole BP coffee thing, but I don't drink coffee.

Honestly I'm just happier to be following a healthier lifestyle.

You can replace the coffee with Tea or cocoa powder for similar effects, there's a lot that the BP principles that don't drink coffee.

When you have carbs on the weekend , eat them after a workout so they act as a refeed day and all is well!

What's the word on duck fat?
One of the best. Sweet potato chips are just awesome. Its one of the better fats to cook with as its mono/sat ratio is more even than most oils and is very low in poly. But like all these fats esp from supermarkets do your brand research as some commercial brands are not the best quality. Find a grouse butcher and get some quality fat.

fat-graphy.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading and nodding at every one of these words - that's exactly how I feel and what I do! It's fine for me to do similar to LCHF during the week because I'm in a routine with working out and work itself. The weekend, however, is another story altogether. I'm all over the place, and spend most of the weekend not even at home. For that reason it is just too hard to follow.

5 out of 7 ain't bad!

That's the good thing about fasting, if certain days you are out n about or strayed from your normal foods you eat you just don't eat!

One of the best. Sweet potato chips are just awesome. Its one of the better fats to cook with as its mono/sat ratio is more even than most oils and is very low in poly. But like all these fats esp from supermarkets do your brand research as some commercial brands are not the best quality. Find a grouse butcher and get some quality fat.

Top class chefs use duck fat to cook in for its rich fat flavour .

Here is a rundown on good cooking fats bu Chris Kresser, good to see he also loves his chips in duck fat

5 fats you should be cooking with – but may not be
by Chris Kresser

In a recent article I wrote on my other blog, 9 Steps to Perfect Health – #1: Nourish Your Body, I explained that saturated (SFA) and monounsaturated fats (MFA) are the preferred fuel source of the body. Another important benefit of LCSFA, and to a lesser degree MFA, is that they are stable at high temperatures and thus the safest fats to cook with.

With this in mind, here’s a list of my favorite cooking fats. Not just because they’re safe to cook with, but because they taste so good.

Ghee
Ghee is clarified butter, and it’s popular in Indian cooking. Because the milk solids have been removed, it’s very low in lactose and is almost entirely fat – mostly saturated. I tend to use ghee to brown meat and sautee garlic and onions when I make soups or stews, and I sometimes scramble my eggs in it. A tablespoon of ghee contains 8g SFA, 3.7g MFA fat and 0.5g PUFA.

Coconut oil
Along with ghee, coconut oil is one of the best fats to cook with because it’s almost entirely saturated. In fact, coconut oil is more than 90% saturated fat. While this makes it the devil according to the so-called medical authorities, we know better. In addition to being a great fuel source for the body, coconut oil has some unique properties. It is a special type of saturated fat called medium chain triglyceride (MCT). Unlike other fats, MCTs do not require bile acids for digestion. This means they are easily absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine. Coconut oil is also rich in lauric acid, a fatty acid found in mother’s milk that is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Coconut oil has 4g of SFA, 0.3g of MFA and

Leaf lard
No self-respecting French chef would ever be without lard. Leaf lard is obtained from the visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidney and loin, and is considered the highest grade of lard because it has little pork flavor. This is why it’s prized in baking, where it’s used to make flaky, moist pie crusts, croissants and other non-Paleo delights. Lard is an incredibly versatile fat. I use mostly to roast vegetables. Unlike olive oil, vegetables roasted in lard do not get soggy or greasy. They stay crisp and almost dry, with a wonderful flavor. This surprises people because they think of lard as “greasy”. Not so. A tablespoon of lard has about 6g MFA, 5g SFA and 1.6g PUFA.

Duck fat
Let me just say this, if you’ve never had potatoes roasted or fried in duck fat, you haven’t had French fries. I mean that literally. Duck fat was what folks in Europe used to make the original French fries before industrial seed oils came along. Once you taste potatoes – or any vegetables – roasted or fried in duck fat, you’ll know why. A tablespoon of duck fat has 6 g MFA, 4 g LCSFA and 1.6 g PUFA.

Butter
Butter has a lower smoke point than the fats listed above, which makes it less suitable for high temperature cooking. However, it’s a great fat to use on top of fish or meat in the oven, or in stews or slow-cooked meals at lower temperatures. “Butter makes everything better” is exactly right. A tablespoon of butter contains 7.2g of SFA, 2.9g of MFA and 0.4g of PUFA.

http://chriskresser.com/5-fats-you-should-be-cooking-with-but-may-not-be

That's the good thing about fasting, if certain days you are out n about or strayed from your normal foods you eat you just don't eat!
No thanks, I will continue to eat.

No thanks, I will continue to eat.
I think you have missed his point. When you fast your mind and body is so used to long periods without food, so if a situation arises where eating is going to be difficult well its so simple, just go without as your mind and body couldnt care less. You just wont be hungry.

I think you have missed his point. When you fast your mind and body is so used to long periods without food, so if a situation arises where eating is going to be difficult well its so simple, just go without as your mind and body couldnt care less. You just wont be hungry.
Yeah I understood. I've tried IF before - not for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back