LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shits me.
Dave Warner just gets a ton, and Mark Nicholas gives reasons why he is a changed man.
Goes through everything and at the end said he was influenced by the team doctors diet.

Huh? List twenty things and bypass his LCHF. FFS

In solo events where the performance conditions hardly change (if it all) and where opposition either doesn't exist or doesn't necessarily impact on your performance i'd agree that you could nominate lchf (or any other diet) as having a large influence on performance. E.g. distance running, swimming, weights, etc are events/activities where you could make changes to diet and accurately assess their impact on performance. But surely cricket performance is far more dependent on other factors, especially the performance/strength of the opposition. Same goes for AFL.

I thought you were of the belief that total calories is irrelevant and that it's in fact the particular cals that is more likely to equate to weight changes?
calories matter when you have insulin spikes from carbs which are found in bananas

In solo events where the performance conditions hardly change (if it all) and where opposition either doesn't exist or doesn't necessarily impact on your performance i'd agree that you could nominate lchf (or any other diet) as having a large influence on performance. E.g. distance running, swimming, weights, etc are events/activities where you could make changes to diet and accurately assess their impact on performance. But surely cricket performance is far more dependent on other factors, especially the performance/strength of the opposition. Same goes for AFL.

So why do the players in question say that lchf has had a big impact both physically and mentally. Gary Ablett has also said the same thing. And look how Sidell has changed (for the worse) since going Vegan.

So why do the players in question say that lchf has had a big impact both physically and mentally. Gary Ablett has also said the same thing. And look how Sidell has changed (for the worse) since going Vegan.
If you ask Gary Ablett, I'm sure he'd say God has had a bigger influence...

They are cricketers, not scientists.
Some of them believe the brand of jocks they wear help them play better.

Who is to say that any other diet with responsible eating habits at its core wouldn't have had the same outcome?

Explain Khawaja then.
Ignoring the improvements in his joints, he went from being on an Ashes tour to not being in the squad at all, because that is what your argument is, yes?

Explain Khawaja then.

I'm not sure the burden of proof is on me, it is you that is trying to claim that a certain diet is responsible for a cricketers form.

Is it possible that through hard work and focus he found form? He is a talented cricketer, explain how a diet is responsible for resurrecting his career?

How come Johnson is our best bowler and is not on this particular diet? Shouldn't all the cricketers follow his eating habits? Or is it the fact that form has very little to do with a particular diet and is instead a combination of many many factors?

Explain Khawaja then.
I'm not understanding your Khawaja reference? He was going to quit but then didn't? If anything, Khawaja should be used on the other side of the argument - an average cricketer who remained average when he changed to a LCHF diet.

I'm not sure the burden of proof is on me, it is you that is trying to claim that a certain diet is responsible for a cricketers form.

Is it possible that through hard work and focus he found form? He is a talented cricketer, explain how a diet is responsible for resurrecting his career?

How come Johnson is our best bowler and is not on this particular diet? Shouldn't all the cricketers follow his eating habits? Or is it the fact that form has very little to do with a particular diet and is instead a combination of many many factors?

Johnson is on a low but not as strict as the others, as is Harris and Clarke, those three carb load a little more match days.
I'm not understanding your Khawaja reference? He was going to quit but then didn't? If anything, Khawaja should be used on the other side of the argument - an average cricketer who remained average when he changed to a LCHF diet.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

khawaja had debilitating arthritis and was having cortisone every two weeks and his joints were shot. Sore and could barely walk. Since he started the diet he has not had one cortisone shot or arthritis related injury since. This shows that the inflammation from carbs caused the arthritis.

khawaja had debilitating arthritis and was having cortisone every two weeks and his joints were shot. Sore and could barely walk. Since he started the diet he has not had one cortisone shot or arthritis related injury since. This shows that the inflammation from carbs caused the arthritis.
Actually it wasnt cortisone, it was a powerful cancer drug that was costing 20k per year, and he was self injecting every 3rd week. That stopped 18 months ago when he started LCHF. He was like it from his mid/late teens and apart from struggling with cricket could hardly walk in his early 20`s.

I find it rich people bagging his ability when he has clearly showed talent over a disability. Shame he pinged his hammy in the second BB as he was looking great.

Actually it wasnt cortisone, it was a powerful cancer drug that was costing 20k per year, and he was self injecting every 3rd week. That stopped 18 months ago when he started LCHF. He was like it from his mid/late teens and apart from struggling with cricket could hardly walk in his early 20`s.

I find it rich people bagging his ability when he has clearly showed talent over a disability. Shame he pinged his hammy in the second BB as he was looking great.

That's right, I remember reading about those injections now.

Joe Rogan (a UFC commentator, BJJ black belt, has a popular podcast amongst other things) was having a lot of back issues due to injuries and rolling on the BJJ mat. If you've done BJJ then you will know.

Anyway, he was told to go on a LCHF diet to reduce the swelling around his joints/disks in his back. He didn't want to do it and was skeptical but he said that this diet helped him with his condition.

He no longer follows it closely, from what I can understand, but he did find that it helped him. Not that he is a doctor or medically trained but, Joe Rogan is happy to call something shit if he isn't impressed.

I don't know if there is a one diet fits all approach for athletes, most of us can't, but clearly some ways of eating can drastically help some people. If you put Donald Cerone (UFC fighter) on this diet he would want to quit sport because he would be miserable that he couldn't eat the foods that he loves and doesn't have any issues that he knows of that would force him to change like Khawja did.

I'm not questioning the health benefits of this particular diet. I am, however, questioning how somebody can claim that Player X is good because they follow a LCHF diet. That's bollocks.

I say this as someone who has actually cut the majority of carbs from his diet, and has upped his fat intake.

I'm not questioning the health benefits of this particular diet. I am, however, questioning how somebody can claim that Player X is good because they follow a LCHF diet. That's bollocks.

I say this as someone who has actually cut the majority of carbs from his diet, and has upped his fat intake.

I think that's a sore point for a few, which is understandable and I personally have no issue with that being discussed, just as long as it doesn't go for 5 pages :p

For me personally, I've found LCHF to one hell of a challenge. All my favourite foods are carbs! I have noticed the benefits though so I'm trying to find the balance, which has been difficult at times. My current goal is to LCHF during the week and have a few cheats on the weekends.

For me personally, I've found LCHF to one hell of a challenge. All my favourite foods are carbs! I have noticed the benefits though so I'm trying to find the balance, which has been difficult at times. My current goal is to LCHF during the week and have a few cheats on the weekends.
I was reading and nodding at every one of these words - that's exactly how I feel and what I do! It's fine for me to do similar to LCHF during the week because I'm in a routine with working out and work itself. The weekend, however, is another story altogether. I'm all over the place, and spend most of the weekend not even at home. For that reason it is just too hard to follow.

5 out of 7 ain't bad!

I was reading and nodding at every one of these words - that's exactly how I feel and what I do! It's fine for me to do similar to LCHF during the week because I'm in a routine with working out and work itself. The weekend, however, is another story altogether. I'm all over the place, and spend most of the weekend not even at home. For that reason it is just too hard to follow.

5 out of 7 ain't bad!

I glad that I'm not the only freak! So how do you manage it? What's an average eating day for you?

I'm just seeing how I go at the moment, really.

- Breakfast I'll have 3-4 eggs scrambled with red onion, capsicum, tomato and packed full of spinach.
- Lunch I make a chicken salad. Salad has all the usual suspects, but packed with avocado and plenty of olive oil. Either this, or I have a steak with salad.
- Dinner could be any number of things. I stray a little from LCHF and more into Paleo territory for this. It's also got to be something I can mostly pre-prepare because I work until 9pm every weeknight. Salmon and salad has become almost a staple here, but $$$.

I loosely follow LCHF and Paleo, and to be honest the two aren't too different from each other. It's difficult to make such a big change after being on a 'see food' diet, and pretty much eating anything for the best part of 23 years. What about you?

EDIT - Eating this way I have cut pretty much a whole meal from my diet, and I've also stopped taking creatine. I dropped a bit of weight in the first few days, but I'm now back to where I was weight wise, and looking much leaner. It has got to be muscle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back