Retired Leigh Montagna

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, a crack in his leg!. Those who thought he was not interested in playing for the club should hang their head in shame. :)
Bit hard to hang our heads when their was no indication at the time he had an injury, everyone was just calling what they saw

Bit hard to hang our heads when their was no indication at the time he had an injury, everyone was just calling what they saw
It was said on here plenty of times he was playing injured but some ignored the posts and just assumed he was giving in..

But at least we know for sure now.

It was said on here plenty of times he was playing injured but some ignored the posts and just assumed he was giving in..

But at least we know for sure now.
My bad play on.

I can put my hand up in saying I wanted him traded last year since we were already selling our currency players.

Gives a different perspective but still, get it done peltch ;)

The club is also confident veteran Leigh Montagna will bounce back after he played with a raft of serious injuries this season.

They included playing with a crack in his leg for a period of the season, with Montagna labelling it his only poor year out of the previous eight years this week.

Cheers to all the fans that gave him sh1t every week. :mad:

Would love to see them play with a crack in their leg along with groin injury problems.

To be fair, if you pull on the jumper and go on the ground you are fit to play. If you are injured and it is such that affects your game badly, then you shouldn't be out there. Can appreciate that he was carrying something, as do many players and even Joey himself at different times over his career, but if he plays he is judged on his performance.

The frustration I had wasn't his form, or lack of, but rather that he looked disinterested and like he didn't want to be out there. He gave the appearance that he was just going through the motions, either because we weren't competitive, or that his heart was no longer at the Saints.

4th in the B&F

His numbers were down on his elite stuff from the last 8 years.... But at 23ppg with the main tag

Not terrible?

I don't buy into the injury thing much.... It's no surprise he appeared more like 2013 Dal or BJ/Lenny when tagged... It's not easy to beat
Crowley, Cornes, Weller, McCaffer etc.

Said it many times...

without Dal, he was the best player we have that can carve up a game. So yeah he copped the main tag. sadly, didn't have the support he needed.

steven / armo injured... the rest not up to it yet.

Why the hell are we playing someone who has a fractured leg???
And that wasn't even his only injury either by the sounds of it.

" after he played with a raft of serious injuries this season"

Going by that he did well to average 24 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles a game. His start to the season was brilliant.

I would almost give Clint permission to set something on fire.

The club no doubt would have managed the injuries and known they wouldn't be worse (it's probably a low grade fracture) as you simply don't risk leg injuries without knowing full well what can happen in a contact sport, if the club were worried about a dearth of experience ala a Melbourne, GC or GWS experience of simply playing kids emulating headless chooks, there were other options a reshuffle could have alleviated, so it is a strange decision to play him, but it's also a slight on guys like Clint or anyone who could have rotated in to fill that role that frankly a wounded Joey is superior to your current or expected output.

I'm sorry but I'm not changing my view. When ANY player walks out onto the field then they are declaring themselves 100% fit and ready to perform to their absolute best. If he was injured then he shouldn't have played. But he did play and has to cop it for his piss poor performances all year.

Hang on...

If he walks on the park then he is 100%. Agree. Obviously it was managed to a point that he could play.

However...

He had an off year. And he is entitled to it like any other player. Not bad though, 1 bad year in 8.

Point is...

Fans(?) lose faith too quickly and are happy to lay the boots into players. Most of the reasons purely speculative.

Everyone - including Joey - know he had a poor year.

Some of the comments were unwarranted and just rude... given he is a club champion.

Pretty sure he never blamed his injuries. pretty sure he knows he had a bad season.

When people hold themselves to the high standards and values they demand from players, then I'll change my opinion of them.

IMO.

Yep bit hard to 'look interested' wtih a broken bloody leg lol.

More to the point though, article says 'Saints confident he will bounce back', it might just be the journo taking liberties but does that imply we intend to keep Joey around next year? I would be happy to see him stay a Saint for life and I think he has a lot to give still.

Last edited:
I'm sure they had their reasons. For one he finished top 4 in B+F, as poor as we were this year and as underwhelming as his performances may have looked I'm sure we would have been even shitter without him out there. Don't think the club saw the need to go into tank mode which I for one am happy about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that was most of us on here including a lot of people who clicked like for the post above

Pretty DUMB decision by the medical staff and club if true, they need a kick up the ass

Players association should be asking for a please explain

Sorry to go on about this but if I did that with one of my employees, work cover would shut me down cant believe the club did this

Surely people need to relax. Club doctors and physics are payed what they are because of their professionalism, qualifications and experience. If they thought Montagna could play with it, then he could play with it.

People who are insisting he shouldn't have played and to hang it on the doctors, you don't know anything about the injury! You don't know what extent it was hampering him if at all! You don't even know if it was even that serious?!

People need to take a chill pill. It would have been a strenuous, exhaustive process deciding on whether he could continue playing with it and I'm sure the club and medicos made the right decision.

Sheeeeesh

Surely people need to relax. Club doctors and physics are payed what they are because of their professionalism, qualifications and experience. If they thought Montagna could play with it, then he could play with it.

People who are insisting he shouldn't have played and to hang it on the doctors, you don't know anything about the injury! You don't know what extent it was hampering him if at all! You don't even know if it was even that serious?!

People need to take a chill pill. It would have been a strenuous, exhaustive process deciding on whether he could continue playing with it and I'm sure the club and medicos made the right decision.

Sheeeeesh
Sorry couldn't disagree more bottom of the ladder 4 wins no need to play him its just Stupid

Sheeeeesh
This, plus they would have worked with Montagna to come to a decision, not sent him out with a gun to his head.

Sorry couldn't disagree more bottom of the ladder 4 wins no need to play him its just Stupid
Much more intangible reasons for having him out there. To say we are bottom four put him out to pasture is ridiculous if he could still be playing which he did.

Contrary to how people see him I don't think Montagna would have wanted to be sent in for surgery early, if in fact he needs it? Just judging by how harsh he was in his own critique.

I'm glad we kept him out there playing. Shows how much importance we place on solid game day development and the esteem we hold him in.

Injured or not injured. I think he has been a very good and loyal player for a long time.
He had one average season and a lot of supporters wanted to trade him cos they thought he lost interest.
Bit bloody harsh I thought. Not many players go through their whole career without one or two flat seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back