News Leppitsch's contract extended until 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It works the other way as well though.

If you sign the wrong guy and the club shows no progress in the next 2 seasons then when you sack him the damage is compounded because you've just wasted another two seasons. As a frontier club, if Brisbane are in the same position in two years as they are now it's a catastrophe. A hell of a risk to take on a coach who was so far done little to justify his appointment (it was a strange appointment in the first place given his limited experience imo).

What they should of done is given a commitment to him that they will re-sign him at the end of the season providing the team has shown signs of improvement. This isn't an overly difficult objective given it's highly unlikely that they have the same run of injuries as 2015 and that there is still a decent level of talent on the list.

If Leppisch can't get improvements in 2016 with this list then by the end of the season there is a pretty compelling case that can be made to sponsors/supporter base for moving him on which would mitigate the instability that would normally accompany the removal of a coach. It would also be the least damaging way of moving on a club legend as coach - firing them mid contract is never fun and polarizes the supporter base.

Yeah because signing a coach with 7 years assistant coaching experience at two different clubs is much worse than signing a coach with 2 years experience at one single club (where he played almost his whole career). Lets not even mention that that particular coach has shown that he has no concept of how the game of snakes and ladders works, let alone coaching.

Yeah because signing a coach with 7 years assistant coaching experience at two different clubs is much worse than signing a coach with 2 years experience at one single club (where he played almost his whole career). Lets not even mention that that particular coach has shown that he has no concept of how the game of snakes and ladders works, let alone coaching.

Boom. Killshot.

Schraderbrau will sue you for restraint of troll now.

Boom. Killshot.

Assistant coach at two struggling bottom 8 clubs is not good coaching experience. Anyway that was like 1/8th of my post. The rest of it makes a bit of sense imo (and is hardly unfair to Leppitsch).

Anyway that was like 1/8th of my post.
Yes but that was the part where you were trolling. Hence the responses you received. See, your modus operandi is fairly obvious. It is the source of great amusement that you think you're getting away with it unnoticed.

Yes but that was the part where you were trolling. Hence the responses you received. See, your modus operandi is fairly obvious. It is the source of great amusement that you think you're getting away with it unnoticed.
I deleted it, and fwiw I'll be pissed if we re-sign Buckley before the end of the season (unless it's clear we make the 8). Even though the clubs have different list profiles, similar thinking ought to apply to both of them imo. Re-signing early makes no sense.

Assistant coach at two struggling bottom 8 clubs is not good coaching experience. Anyway that was like 1/8th of my post. The rest of it makes a bit of sense imo (and is hardly unfair to Leppitsch).
Lions played finals when Leppa was assistant, and Richmond has been 9th, in an 18 team comp, for years. Your maths is s**t.

It works the other way as well though.

If you sign the wrong guy and the club shows no progress in the next 2 seasons then when you sack him the damage is compounded because you've just wasted another two seasons. As a frontier club, if Brisbane are in the same position in two years as they are now it's a catastrophe. A hell of a risk to take on a coach who was so far done little to justify his appointment.

What do you expect in two years, after a slew of retirements, injuries and players going home? In the two years since he was appointed as coach, he and his team have rebuilt the list with 34 changes to the playing list he inherited from Michael Voss. The GH5 were leaving as Leppitsch arrived, while he has overseen the retirement of fellow premiership players Jonathan Brown, Simon Black and Ash McGrath, as well as retiring Brent Staker, Matt Maguire and Luke McGuane. Not to mention other players that didn't make the grade which is common to all clubs. In Leppitsch's time as coach, its' possibly only Redden and Aish that the Lions would have liked to retain. in 2016, 15 players remain from 2013, the year before Leppitsch took over.

A hell of a risk to take on a coach who was so far done little to justify his appointment (it was a strange appointment in the first place given his limited experience imo).

Please. Limited experience?

Justin Leppitsch's experience as an assistant coach

2007 Brisbane - 10th - 9 wins
2008 Brisbane - 10th - 10 wins
2009 Brisbane - 6th - 14 wins (2 finals)
2010 Richmond - 15th - 6 wins
2011 Richmond - 12th - 8 wins
2012 Richmond - 12th - 10 wins
2013 Richmond - 7th - 15 wins (1 final)

How long should he serve a coaching apprenticeship? Seven years not enough?

What they should of done is given a commitment to him that they will re-sign him at the end of the season providing the team has shown signs of improvement. This isn't an overly difficult objective given it's highly unlikely that they have the same run of injuries as 2015 and that there is still a decent level of talent on the list.

Disagree completely. Leppitsch deserves a bit of security after taking the needed steps to rebuild the list from what he inherited. There was no way he was going to win too many games in 2014. Last years over the top injury list made the situation even worse and gave the impression that no progress has been made in the careers of many players. Whether forced or not, the games that have been invested in the Lions' younger players will stand the club in good stead in the coming years.

If Leppisch can't get improvements in 2016 with this list then by the end of the season there is a pretty compelling case that can be made to sponsors/supporter base for moving him on which would mitigate the instability that would normally accompany the removal of a coach. It would also be the least damaging way of moving on a club legend as coach - firing them mid contract is never fun and polarizes the supporter base.

A one year coaching appointment where Leppitsch can finally look to improve the youngest list in the AFL, that he and his recruiting team has put together is not long enough. Lists capable of playing finals often take years to build. Bottom line is that Leppitsch deserves another two years to advance the list he has built. He needs it. The players need it, the club needs it. I personally would have given him to the end of 2018, but the club in its wisdom has decided to the end of 2017.

Last edited:
What do you expect in two years, after a slew of retirements, injuries and players going home? In the two years since he was appointed as coach, he and his team have rebuilt the list with 34 changes to the playing list he inherited from Michael Voss. The GH5 were leaving as Leppitsch arrived, while he has overseen the retirement of fellow premiership players Jonathan Brown, Simon Black and Ash McGrath, as well as retiring Brent Staker, Matt Maguire and Luke McGuane. Not to mention other players that didn't make the grade which is common to all clubs. In Leppitsch's time as coach, its' possibly only Redden and Aish that the Lions would have liked to retain. in 2016, 15 players remain from 2013, the year before Leppitsch took over.

Please. Limited experience?

Justin Leppitsch's experience as an assistant coach

2007 Brisbane - 10th - 9 wins
2008 Brisbane - 10th - 10 wins
2009 Brisbane - 6th - 14 wins (2 finals)
2010 Richmond - 15th - 6 wins
2011 Richmond - 12th - 8 wins
2012 Richmond - 12th - 10 wins
2013 Richmond - 7th - 15 wins (1 final)

How long should he serve a coaching apprenticeship? Seven years not enough?

Disagree completely. Leppitsch deserves a bit of security after taking the needed steps to rebuild the list from what he inherited. There was no way he was going to win too many games in 2014. Last years over the top injury list made the situation even worse and gave the impression that no progress has been made in the careers of many players. Whether forced or not, the games that have been invested in the Lions' younger players will stand the club in good stead in the coming years.

A one year coaching appointment where Leppitsch can finally look to improve the youngest list in the AFL, that he and his recruiting team has put together is not long enough. Lists capable of playing finals often take years to build. Bottom line is that Leppitsch deserves another two years to advance the list he has built. He needs it. The players need it, the club needs it. I personally would have given him to the end of 2018, but the club in its wisdom has decided to the end of 2017.
Yeah the limited experience was my mistake in wording. I was more referring to experience at top clubs. Imo it should be one of the key criteria when appointing a first timer coach and I can't think of too many current coaches who haven't had that experience. Anyway it's now irrelevant, I don't know why I brought it up and I've already copped a pasting for it.

I think I view your playing list more positively than you do. With all players on the park you've got a top 8 midfield that's got scope for improvement given the age of most of them. That's a terrific core to build around and on it's own gives you a significant head start on your rebuild compared to clubs like Carlton and St Kilda who both have bottomed out badly. You also did very well in last years draft - at worst Schache is a very useful goalkicker, Keays is ready made and I think Hipwood is going to be a gun. In that context, asking for improvement on the 2015 season (where you were decimated by injury) is a very modest goal imo. You make a decent point about giving him and the players confidence but I think ultimately when you weight it all up, giving him a one year contract with some really modest goals is greater than a 2 year contract with no conditions.

Leppitsch did an apprenticeship under three coaches. One of them being one of the greatest of all time.

Buckley served a small apprenticeship under one admittedly great coach but probably should have spent more time learning from him instead of playing the role of Brutus in the Collingwood production of Julius Caesar.

Last edited:
Why do we have a Collingwood fan telling us about how much of a risk Leppa is when he has Buckley as the coach of his club and he has done nothing but take the richest club in the AFL backwards?

Buckley's coaching record 2011-2015

2012 - 4th (17 wins) (after taking over the 2011 runner-up team following a premiership in 2010) 3 finals for one win and 2 losses
2013 - 8th (14 wins) 1 final for one loss
2014 - 11th (11 wins)
2015 - 12th (10 wins)

Yet it's supposedly Leppitsch that can't coach, despite Leppitsch starting from a far lower base in the team that he inherited (12th in 2013 and 13th in 2012), compared to Buckley's inherited team which was 2nd in 2011 and 1st in 2010.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boom. Killshot.

Ricky-Gervais-Holding-in-Laughter-Arms-Crossed.gif

I think I view your playing list more positively than you do. With all players on the park you've got a top 8 midfield that's got scope for improvement given the age of most of them. That's a terrific core to build around and on it's own gives you a significant head start on your rebuild compared to clubs like Carlton and St Kilda who both have bottomed out badly.

So in that case, give Leppitsch two years to see what he can do with the youngest list in the AFL.

You also did very well in last years draft - at worst Schache is a very useful goalkicker, Keays is ready made and I think Hipwood is going to be a gun. In that context, asking for improvement on the 2015 season (where you were decimated by injury) is a very modest goal imo.

Improve the win loss ratio with a younger overall list. Yes, that is possible with a decent run with injury. The early draw isn't kind, but the whole point of extending Leppitsch's contract is for the club (or more pointedly the media) don't go into panic-mode and over-reaction. The list needs time and by extension so does Leppitsch. An extension takes the heat off and both he, the players and the club will benefit more if there isn't over-cooked stories about Leppitsch's immediate coaching future from a media desperate to generate column inches and internet hits.

You make a decent point about giving him and the players confidence but I think ultimately when you weight it all up, giving him a one year contract with some really modest goals is greater than a 2 year contract with no conditions.

Conditions? Are you suggesting that without specific conditions in his contract, Leppitsch won't be trying his hardest to improve the win-loss ratio in 2016 and 2017? Leppitsch understands completely what will happen if he can't generate on-field improvement.

I have said before i think Leppa needs time and he has made the tough decisions in removing dead wood and giving the kids games, many before they were ready. Thats the chosen path and we hope to reap the rewards in the coming years. For that reason alone he has to be given time.

I think we all can agree our list currently looks the most promising it has in a decade - taking into account that it is the youngest list in the AFL. We will go through tough times this year as all young sides do and the fixtures certainly didn't help our cause but i think the test for me will be seeing the improvement in each player and a defined game plan/structure.

For me last year injuries aside to often we were negative and there was little idea or lack of confidence in our game plan. I like what i am reading that in pre season training and games the players have been instructed to move the ball quicker and be more attacking. That was a given if we are to move up the ladder.

A few points worth noting which caught my attention. Reading in the Herald Sun today and the Ross Lyon interview is very interesting. Fremantle have attained David Hale and Brent Guerra from the Hawks to be assistant coaches. Lyon is no idiot. Get guys in from the club who has been the most successful in last 4 years. Learn what you can from two ex players who were in the system. The knowledge they bring might be worth an extra couple goals a game and that might be all the difference. My question is as a club would we be even be thinking along these lines? Lyon even talks about how he speaks with people in prominent positions in their industry. Just shows what goes into being a coach these days. Leppa has to fight nail and tooth to retain players at seasons end - he probably wouldn't even have time to entertain such ideas. I do think we need better assistant coaches.

I think as a club we are on the right path but we are coming from a long way back and we will have constant obstructions on that path but we need stability.

As Sir Alex Ferguson once said when asked why other clubs in the Premier League couldn't reach the dizzy heights United had - well they change manager every year! No one in the organisations knows if their job is safe from year to year.

A valid point.

Royboys4eva I agree with your analysis. I would like to comment on one point in particular the overall strength of our coaching panel. I commented on the weakness of our coaching group in another thread and some posters took it to mean our coaching group lacked mental strength. This is not what I meant.

We need additional assistant coaches with skills and proven experience in developing young players. I have no problems with the individual assistants, but as a group I don't think it has the same depth as other clubs. As in the example above we should be trying to pick up assistants from successful clubs. While things have improved from when it appeared Vossy was doing everything himself, it is another area where I think we lack resources.

Royboys4eva I agree with your analysis. I would like to comment on one point in particular the overall strength of our coaching panel. I commented on the weakness of our coaching group in another thread and some posters took it to mean our coaching group lacked mental strength. This is not what I meant.

We need additional assistant coaches with skills and proven experience in developing young players. I have no problems with the individual assistants, but as a group I don't think it has the same depth as other clubs. As in the example above we should be trying to pick up assistants from successful clubs. While things have improved from when it appeared Vossy was doing everything himself, it is another area where I think we lack resources.

Totally agree mate. I think our football department costs have increased last few years but would still be well behind other clubs and thats why we probably cant get the assistant coaches that other clubs seem to attain. The one standout assistant the club has managed to get over in the last 5 years was Mark Harvey and i thought Vossy coached a lot better that season with decent help - even though he was moved on which shocked everyone.

While i understand the head coach always likes to get in his own guys sometimes it pays dividends to go outside the square. We should have looked at Barker. He had a stint at Carlton and did reasonable job all things considered. Being a full time coach for half a season means he knows how to operate under pressure. He seemed well liked by the players. He has of course a big connection to the club. I think he would have been a great assistant to Leppa.

Just read that Collingwood are about to give Buckley a 1 year extension.

That's awkward for a certain poster.

Schraderbrau said:

What they should have done us give a commitment to Buckley that they will re-sign him at the end of the season providing the team has shown signs of improvement. This isn't an overly difficult objective given the statistical improbability that Buckley could possibly take the team further down the ladder 5 years straight given there is still a decent level of talent on the list.

If Buckley can't get improvements in 2016 with this list then by the end of the season there is a pretty compelling case that can be made to sponsors/supporter base for moving him on which would mitigate the instability that would normally accompany the removal of a coach. It would also be the least damaging way of moving on a club legend as coach - firing them mid contract is never fun and polarizes the supporter base.

What they should have done us give a commitment to Buckley that they will re-sign him at the end of the season providing the team has shown signs of improvement. This isn't an overly difficult objective given the statistical improbability that Buckley could possibly take the team further down the ladder 5 years straight given there is still a decent level of talent on the list.

If Buckley can't get improvements in 2016 with this list then by the end of the season there is a pretty compelling case that can be made to sponsors/supporter base for moving him on which would mitigate the instability that would normally accompany the removal of a coach. It would also be the least damaging way of moving on a club legend as coach - firing them mid contract is never fun and polarizes the supporter base.
jeez you set yourself up for a fail going to another teams board and lecturing them about their coaching position if you own teams coach is also out of contract...

bruce-delish-628.gif

Completely agree with this, it's funny how similar they are. The crazy thing is that apparently we wanted to give him two years and he knocked it back. My take on Buckley's position as coach is very similar to that of Leppitsch - you get a new contract if you demonstrate improvement on the last season. For Buckley that is making the 8 imo.

Leppo's been given a year to fix the clubs kulcha whereas bucks has been selflessly taken only a year on his deal!!!

(Ive been off bigfooty for a couple of months - is arguing with random pies fans or 'Basil Zemplas' really still a thing????)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back