Toast Lin Jong retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad that Lin's body never quite gave him a fair crack at it, but we Dog fans will remember fondly his courage and whole hearted style of play.

10 years in the AFL is still a great achievement and he was obviously well respected and loved at the club.

Glad he got to leave on his own terms

Well done Lin. You will be missed

I wish him only the best and a big thank you for his service to the club. I'd willingly offer my body as a transplant for him to continue playing, but...well, you know...

On GT-I9505 using BigFooty.com mobile app

As others have said it's a sad day because he embodied so much of what we love about sport - the underdog, the outsider, the adversity and hard luck stories, the passion and the tears. All it lacked was the happy ending. A flag, even a hundred games would have been something to salute. We and Lin will just have to be content with the fact that he managed 65 games over 10 years - still a very commendable effort.

In some ways he was the prototype modern midfielder, being on our list before we recruited Macrae, Bont or Dunkley. He is tall (188cm), bulky (88kg), quick, courageous, has a good leap, is a good mark and not a bad kick for goal. Before the third man up was outlawed he was also a good option for hitouts at the stoppages. As others have pointed out his footy instincts were sometimes astray but there was no more determined player during his time on the list.

His most productive year was 2016 when he could easily have become an immortal Bullgod. He played 16 games that year in a side that was definitely going places. His tears on the bench in the EF are unforgettable.

Hail and farewell Jongy! I hope you can stick around the club in some capacity - perhaps as a player mentor? I reckon you could impart some true Bulldog values to the next generation.

Go well Jongy.

When you list his injuries down a timeline it's incredible how often he kept coming back and forcing his way back into this team this year proves despite all that he was still good enough to be best 22 in a premiership contending team.

He tore his ACL in 2017, tore his hamstring significantly last year through lockdown only to come back and injure his ankle, and had to come back before another hamstring injury this year. The broken collarbone and countless other injuries.

So many in fact, that he's come back from a broken leg in 2013 yet people don't remember that - proof that he's had so many other serious injuries that an early serious one has been forgotten!

At his best through 2015-6 he was a unique point of difference, with very few AFL players - even the elite ones - matching his ability to overhead mark, have a knack for the goals, win a contested possession but also pressure and lay tackles. He was never going to average 20 touches a game, but many players who did didn't have his impact in goals, tackles, metres gained and contested possessions and marks.

He was the best midfielder for us in R1 of the VFL and was into the team ahead of Hannan, Weightman, Wallis, and could have arguably continued to get a game ahead of them, Lipinski etc. for the whole season given how quickly we picked him following that one VFL game.

Turned down other better deals at other clubs, his family are all passionate Dogs fans and has served the community well as a Multicultural ambassador and being a key figure for representation for the Asian-Australian population who are still under represented in playing and following footy.

With 10 years on the list he's entitled to life membership that's fully deserved, and it would have been a shame if the lack of premiership meant he didn't get it.

All the best Jongy!

What a shame never got a clear run at playing AFL Footy wish Lin Jong nothing but the best in the future

Really nice dude, who was a great club man.
His effort was never in doubt when he played for us, not much more you can ask for.
Thanks for playing for the :bulldogs: Lin Jong 🤘🤘

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it feels like 2016 was some kind of deal with the footy devil.

Jongy now, Picko, Clay, T.Boyd, Moz...Some heart-breaking, rotten circumstances for some tough individuals.

Jong deserved a run at it. Unfortunately it didn't happen. I would hope that his character rubbed off on the group, give some of these talented players Jong levels of heart and we'll be right.

Deserved a lot more luck than he got.

Seriously hard player at the footy and was sneaky good in the air.

Could have been anything but his body just didn't let him.

Such a shame, he probably would have had a pretty decent career if he wasn’t constantly cut down by injuries, a more than handy footballer who was tough, my of my favourites over the years and I think a lot of other supporters too, good luck in your next chapter of life jongy, it’s been real.

In my football dreams I had both Jongy and Wallis playing in our next flag. Unfortunately dreams don't often come true in AFL.

We can only guess at the pain Jongy went through to get back on the park, but what I'm certain of is the legacy Jongy has left within the club, and that the Bulldogs are better for having him on the list.

All the best Lin

😢

Wasn't always my favourite player but gee he gave it everything.
Disappointing that this is how it ended.
One of the bravest blokes ever in our colours especially with the way he handled his mental health.
He'll be missed by us fans but honestly it seems he will be missed far more by the players. Seems an awesome bloke.

In my football dreams I had both Jongy and Wallis playing in our next flag. Unfortunately dreams don't often come true in AFL.

We can only guess at the pain Jongy went through to get back on the park, but what I'm certain of is the legacy Jongy has left within the club, and that the Bulldogs are better for having him on the list.

All the best Lin

😢
Me too, I really like footballers like Jongy

Hard as a cats head is Lin Jong and although not the most talented, he always gave it everything.

If injuries didn’t curse him, I always thought he would’ve made a strong run with/tagger in a different set up. Good size and a very decent athlete, that would’ve been tailor-made for him.

All the best.

Well done young man! Shame he never got a clear run at it! 10 years of service has at least given you a good start financially in your young life. You deserve it based on the amount of injuries you had to over come.

All the best Jongy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back