State: Victoria
Club: Werribee Districts

Strengths

Aerial Threat
Marking
Strength
Scoreboard Impact

Expert comments
"A strong-marking forward, Morris forced his way into the Vic Metro under-18 team for a taste of national championship football in his bottom-age year in 2022. Morris has continued to build on his ability to keep presenting as a mobile marking target, while clean hands at ground level are another key part of his skill set." - Kevin Sheehan

Western Jets key forward Logan Morris is a strong and high-leaping attacker who can play much taller than his 191cm frame suggests.

The Werribee Districts junior booted 30 goals for the Jets this year from 10 games to finish equal third on the Talent League leaderboard, backing up his 31-goal campaign from last year to impress over the last 18 months and earn National Championships experience in both seasons.

Morris would earn a call-up to Vic Metro in 2023 alongside the likes of Nate Caddy, Nick Watsonand Jordan Croft to form a lethal front third, with the centre-half-forward's best outing coming against Western Australia where he booted four goals.

While the tape stops to see Morris measured as a medium-sized forward, his vertical and aerial capacity allows him to have a high level of impact in marking contests, where he can also rely on his strong hands to bring the ball down.

His strength and long kicking also combine to give Morris a great chance of winning possession as a forward target and the confidence to strike a shot on goal from distance.

Morris is one of the many players in this year’s draft whose range is relatively wide, meaning he may split recruiters from club to club. Regardless, he should have enough fans to earn a shot at the next level given his exploits over the last two years, where he dominated junior opposition at his best. He knows what his strengths lie, where he needs to improve, and where he may fit into an AFL system – likely as a second or third tall forward. The second or third round sounds about right for him.

Last edited:
With the AFL draft scheduled for November 20, it’s an interesting time in the life of the Western Jets’ Logan Morris, as each day passes, nerves and excitement builds.

“I’m feeling pretty confident,” Morris said.

“Getting a bit nervous now that it’s getting a bit closer but I’m trying to take it week by week and trying to do other things to distract me and not think about the draft too much.”

The Werribee District’s product is a 191 centimetre hybrid player who has proved himself at both ends of the ground, showcasing his range of talents and work ethic.

Morris enjoyed a dominant year for the Jets booting 30 goals from his 10 outings for the club.

The 18-year-old also applied his craft for Vic Metro, including a four goal haul against Western Australia, and slotted two in his Victorian Football League debut for Werribee.

“I feel like I’ve had a pretty good year, off the back of a massive preseason,” he said.

“Trying to set myself up to have a big year and try to play consistent footy.

“Setting myself up and going out week by week and just focusing on training, having a big week on the track and then trying to back that up on the weekend.”

Playing across a variety of teams throughout the season has helped Morris enhance his football by picking up bits and pieces from across the board.

“Training at the highest level and being surrounded with elite players and players that I look up to and try and base my game off, you learn so much,” he said.

“And get better as an athlete and as a person, being around an elite environment.”

An AFL player that Morris looks up to and said he bases his game around is Collingwood’s premiership key forward, Brody Mihocek.

“We’re similar heights and his ability to get up the ground and his work rate, ability to hit the scoreboard and take contested marks,” Morris said.

“[Contested marking] is definitely one of my strengths and I try to use that the best I can in games and ability to hit the scoreboard is probably my other strength.”

To further encompass all of what Mihocek does, Morris said he is still working on his fitness, although it’s an area he has seen improvements in.

“Definitely trying to build my tank,” he said.

“Especially if I do get onto an [AFL] list, that’s probably the main thing that I need to get better at, just to cover the ground a bit more, get to more contests.

“That’s the one thing I’m working on this pre-season, just to get as fit as I can leading into next year.”

It truly would be a dream come true for Morris if he were to find his way into an AFL club next month.

“It would mean everything,” he said.

“I’ve been working to this for my whole life, and it’s something I’ve dreamt of since I was a young kid.

“To make my family proud and myself as well, just for the hard work I’ve put in and to get the reward for it, I’d be grateful for that and I can’t wait to see what my future holds.”

Morris is heading north | Brimbank & North West

Morris is heading north​

23/11/2023

Logan Morris (Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos)
Harper Sercombe
Brisbane has added to its forward stocks securing the Western Jets’ Logan Morris at the AFL draft.

The Lions picked up the dynamic forward with pick 31 of the draft on Tuesday night.
“It’s pretty surreal to be finally on an AFL list, that’s something I’ve dreamt of my whole life and to finally be on one doesn’t feel real but it’s unbelievable,” he said.
With the first round of the draft wrapping up on Monday night and Morris’ not selected after the 29 picks, it was a long wait in between rounds. Although he did have an inkling the Lions would pounce on him early.
“Not going on the first night and then having to wait another 24 hours, it was the longest 24 hours of my life,” Morris said.
“I didn’t get much sleep that night, but for it now to be finally over, it’s a big relief.
“Going into the draft I knew the Lions were interested, with their first pick being early in the second round, it was on the table that they might pick me.
“I didn’t really think anything of it until they actually read my name and then it kind of felt real.”
The Werribee Districts product is a 191 centimetre hybrid player who has proved himself at both ends of the ground, showcasing his range of talents and work ethic.
Morris displayed a dominant year for the Jets booting 30 goals from his 10 outings for the club. The 18-year-old also applied his craft for Vic Metro, including a four goal haul against Western Australia, and slotted two in his Victorian Football League debut for Werribee.
Now with a move up north imminent he couldn’t be happier.
“I’m super excited to be up there, I’ve already got my living sorted and all the boys have been getting around me and making me feel welcome, so I can’t wait,” he said.
“We’re flying up on Tuesday and then we come back over the Christmas holidays, but we go up for a couple of weeks and get stuck into pre-season.”
Morris will be moving in with fellow draftee and hybrid forward Luke Lloyd from the Sandringham Dragons.
The Lions have been the attacking powerhouse of the competition over the last few seasons, with superstar forwards such as Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood and former Western Jet Cameron Rayner.
“To learn off the likes of Hipwood and Daniher, I’ll definitely learn a lot and it’s great to have such experienced forwards to learn off,” Morris said.
“Cam Rayner sent me a text the other day, he was a Jets’ boy and he’s pretty keen that he’s got another Jets’ boy coming up, so I can’t wait to meet him and train with him.
“I’ll be leaning on him for a bit of advice or if I’ve got any questions or anything, it’s good to have people like that at the club.”
Brisbane national recruiting manager Stephen Conole said the club was pleased with securing Morris early in the second round.
“Logan is a competitive young man who adds some versatility to our forward group,” Conole said.
“He is a terrific contested player, strong mark, presents well and reads the drop of the ball well, and is a forward who can play high or deep.”
Former Taylors Lakes junior Hugo Garcia was picked up by St Kilda.

Draft 'means everything' for Morris | Wyndham

Draft ‘means everything’ for Morris​

18/10/2023

Five weeks is a long time in football but for one young gun the next 30 days couldn’t move quicker.

With the AFL draft scheduled for November 20, it’s an interesting time in the life of the Western Jets’ Logan Morris, as each day passes, nerves and excitement builds.
“I’m feeling pretty confident,” Morris said.
“Getting a bit nervous now that it’s getting a bit closer but I’m trying to take it week by week and trying to do other things to distract me and not think about the draft too much.”
The Werribee District’s product is a 191 centimetre hybrid player who has proved himself at both ends of the ground, showcasing his range of talents and work ethic.
Morris enjoyed a dominant year for the Jets booting 30 goals from his 10 outings for the club.
The 18-year-old also applied his craft for Vic Metro, including a four goal haul against Western Australia, and slotted two in his Victorian Football League debut for Werribee.
“I feel like I’ve had a pretty good year, off the back of a massive preseason,” he said.
“Trying to set myself up to have a big year and try to play consistent footy.
“Setting myself up and going out week by week and just focusing on training, having a big week on the track and then trying to back that up on the weekend.”
Playing across a variety of teams throughout the season has helped Morris enhance his football by picking up bits and pieces from across the board.
“Training at the highest level and being surrounded with elite players and players that I look up to and try and base my game off, you learn so much,” he said.
“And get better as an athlete and as a person, being around an elite environment.”
An AFL player that Morris looks up to and said he bases his game around is Collingwood’s premiership key forward, Brody Mihocek.
“We’re similar heights and his ability to get up the ground and his work rate, ability to hit the scoreboard and take contested marks,” Morris said.
“[Contested marking] is definitely one of my strengths and I try to use that the best I can in games and ability to hit the scoreboard is probably my other strength.”
To further encompass all of what Mihocek does, Morris said he is still working on his fitness, although it’s an area he has seen improvements in.
“Definitely trying to build my tank,” he said.
“Especially if I do get onto an [AFL] list, that’s probably the main thing that I need to get better at, just to cover the ground a bit more, get to more contests.
“That’s the one thing I’m working on this pre-season, just to get as fit as I can leading into next year.”
It truly would be a dream come true for Morris if he were to find his way into an AFL club next month.
“It would mean everything,” he said.
“I’ve been working to this for my whole life, and it’s something I’ve dreamt of since I was a young kid.
“To make my family proud and myself as well, just for the hard work I’ve put in and to get the reward for it, I’d be grateful for that and I can’t wait to see what my future holds.”

Collingwood finally entered the fray after that, with the Pies making the bid on Cleary and then choosing Harry DeMattia. They had looked at tall pair Logan Morris and Archer Reid but DeMattia, who was ranked in the teens, had become available.

Logan Morris is a goal kicking forward. Logan is a great mark and brilliant below his knees and a lovely kick for goal.
He complements the current Brisbane forward line set up which has struggled to kick goals at the MCG. Logan is a difference maker and along with Luke Lloyd could provide Brisbane with the best half forward line in the AFL competiion.

Logan Morris is a goal kicking forward. Logan is a great mark and brilliant below his knees and a lovely kick for goal.
He complements the current Brisbane forward line set up which has struggled to kick goals at the MCG. Logan is a difference maker and along with Luke Lloyd could provide Brisbane with the best half forward line in the AFL competiion.
Thanks for the update on Logan Mrs Morris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logan Morris - Coates League Rnd 11

Two things I took out of this game review:
  • I now understand why GWS went to the lengths that they did to ensure getting Phoenix Gothard
  • My opinion of Connor O'Sullivan went up a notch or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back