Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...admits-baby-rape-attempts-20131127-2y8q3.html

Article said:
British rock singer Ian Watkins, the former frontman of the band Lostprophets, has pleaded guilty to the attempted rape of a baby and a string of other child sex offences.

Watkins, 36, whose band sold millions of albums around the world, sexually abused the one-year-old and encouraged a fan to abuse her own child during a webcam chat.

I'm a bit of a fan of this band, but this is pretty crap to read about.

Can something like this be enough to turn you off listening to a band?

Heard of the band but only very briefly listened to them, seemed pretty cool.

This is pretty ******* horrific. It's right up the top of the tree of s**t things you can do.

I tend to separate the personality and/or actions of musicians from the music they make, but this one would be pretty hard to ever pick up one of their album to have a listen to now.

Hadn't read some of that either. Absolute filth.

Wtf goes through a persons head when they do something as sick as that?

ian-watkins.jpg

Makes this pic even creepier.

Never listened to these guys and you have to feel sorry for the other guys who've been tainted through association with this a-hole. Depressing motives but the way he went about it was pretty heinous. The intent, the conniving, the calculation of the whole thing is what's most off-putting.

Some of the vernacular he was using in those texts. Bafflingly sick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved their first two albums. In fact I listened to Fake Sound Of Progress today on the way home from work. Then I saw this. Makes it hard to listen to again to be honest.

I don't like the band but in my mind their music isn't tainted because of this. In saying that even if I was a fan I wouldn't want to buy any of their music or financially support them in any way. Assuming the rest of the band are OK guys who didn't know about the lead singers actions its a bit of a shame that they have to deal with the collateral but thems the breaks.

Wtf goes through a persons head when they do something as sick as that?

ian-watkins.jpg

Makes this pic even creepier.

Try to imagine having the brain of a baby raper? I don't think a rational individual can properly imagine the thoughts that must arise in such a brain. People who do things as extreme as this simply don't have rational thought processes, the underlying neurochemistry of their brain wouldn't allow for it. No punishment or treatment currently available will change that. If people like this are viewed as hostages to the contents of their truly ****ed up minds then death is probably the most 'humane' option available for themselves and of course the rest of society.

I don't like the band but in my mind their music isn't tainted because of this. In saying that even if I was a fan I wouldn't want to buy any of their music or financially support them in any way. Assuming the rest of the band are OK guys who didn't know about the lead singers actions its a bit of a shame that they have to deal with the collateral but thems the breaks.
I have never heard a Lostprophets song but I'd be thinking "baby raper baby raper this man rapes children." I don't think I could separate it. I don't like the Beatles, but plenty of people know John Lennon hit Yoko and they can put it aside – because the music is, to them, really very good. Lostprophets are not good enough to sidestep this. And as evil as comparing heinous acts might be, baby rape is worse than domestic abuse.

I can't even believe I'm typing "baby rape" relatively distanced. It's absurd. It's surreal. It's completely insane.

I have never heard a Lostprophets song but I'd be thinking "baby raper baby raper this man rapes children." I don't think I could separate it. I don't like the Beatles, but plenty of people know John Lennon hit Yoko and they can put it aside – because the music is, to them, really very good. Lostprophets are not good enough to sidestep this. And as evil as comparing heinous acts might be, baby rape is worse than domestic abuse.

Fair point, I'm in the same position as you in that I most likely won't ever listen to them again simply since I'm not a fan but if I was a diehard fan I'm not entirely sure what my response would be. I'm desperately trying to think of examples where I still listen to bands after one or more of their members have done something horrible but none of the examples I can think of offer anything close to a fair basis for comparison.

With that said I think the main point of my previous post was that by merely listening to their music one isn't supporting the band in any material sense (something which I think is a very poor decision given what we now know) and therefore if one can still enjoy the music I don't think they should feel guilty for doing so. Whether they are still able to enjoy the music or not is a slightly different matter.

I can't even believe I'm typing "baby rape" relatively distanced. It's absurd. It's surreal. It's completely insane.

Very well said

Lostprophets were better then the beatles BTW.

Eh, Had a few good songs...about 7-8 years ago, Did not mind The fake sounds of progress album and start something was bearable. Everything else was pretty shitty, Probably when he decided to write crappy emo and rape babies IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back