LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ketogenic diet does not affect strength performance in elite artistic gymnasts.
Paoli A1, Grimaldi K, D'Agostino D, Cenci L, Moro T, Bianco A, Palma A.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Despite the increasing use of very low carbohydrate ketogenic diets (VLCKD) in weight control and management of the metabolic syndrome there is a paucity of research about effects of VLCKD on sport performance. Ketogenic diets may be useful in sports that include weight class divisions and the aim of our study was to investigate the influence of VLCKD on explosive strength performance.
METHODS:
8 athletes, elite artistic gymnasts (age 20.9 ± 5.5 yrs) were recruited. We analyzed body composition and various performance aspects (hanging straight leg raise, ground push up, parallel bar dips, pull up, squat jump, countermovement jump, 30 sec continuous jumps) before and after 30 days of a modified ketogenic diet. The diet was based on green vegetables, olive oil, fish and meat plus dishes composed of high quality protein and virtually zero carbohydrates, but which mimicked their taste, with the addition of some herbal extracts. During the VLCKD the athletes performed the normal training program. After three months the same protocol, tests were performed before and after 30 days of the athletes' usual diet (a typically western diet, WD). A one-way Anova for repeated measurements was used.

RESULTS:
No significant differences were detected between VLCKD and WD in all strength tests. Significant differences were found in body weight and body composition: after VLCKD there was a decrease in body weight (from 69.6 ± 7.3 Kg to 68.0 ± 7.5 Kg) and fat mass (from 5.3 ± 1.3 Kg to 3.4 ± 0.8 Kg p < 0.001) with a non-significant increase in muscle mass.

CONCLUSIONS:
Despite concerns of coaches and doctors about the possible detrimental effects of low carbohydrate diets on athletic performance and the well known importance of carbohydrates there are no data about VLCKD and strength performance. The undeniable and sudden effect of VLCKD on fat loss may be useful for those athletes who compete in sports based on weight class. We have demonstrated that using VLCKD for a relatively short time period (i.e. 30 days) can decrease body weight and body fat without negative effects on strength performance in high level athletes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22835211

I'd be very interested to hear more about what role the ketogenic diet plays in high intensity cardiovascular performance - as opposed to strength performance? If there is such information?
Right here. This is still my all time favorite vid on LCHF/Keto from the great man himself.

I have feta, cream and cream cheese but no other kind of dairy.

Did you see the hatchet job on tonights ACA? The DAA and HF are shitting bricks, this was an appalling bit of journalism. People might think this is all a bit trivial but i have never known a time when the countries nutrition has been called into question by so many. Its also great Pete Evans is now combining the terms paleo/Primal AND LCHF.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8915787/the-celebrity-chef-with-the-controversial-theory

No I missed it, don't watch ACA shows as a rule cos they're normally all bull dust , I know many a businessman whom has paid the fee to promote his product on these types of shows & the make the segment look like its a an alarming report to smokescreen the product promotion.
The public hold more credit to a product if it's passed the supposedly scrutiny of an ACA show!
Not a gullible bunch are we!

why is dairy bad?
i eat lots cheese and a bit of cream as an easy and tasty way to up my fat intake. is this wrong?

not even going to waste my time watching that ACA bullshit.

Dairy is acidic, anything that is higher in protein n phosphorus than mag-potassium-sodium is acidic, hence why fruit n vege is akaline.
The key for better health is be in an akaline state as much as possible, hence more fat n vege, moderate protein.

Also the casein protein in milk raises inflammation markers , casein found in A2 milk protein doesn't raise them.
Jersey cows n goats are two milk producing sources that I know off that produce A2 milk proteins only.

Google side effects of being too acidic.

Last edited:
So, the woman who said there are big issues when cutting out whole food groups "including dairy", was that the same woman who was in the advertisement immediately after the video promoting A2 milk? Upon further inspection, yes it was.
This is the exact thing that Pete Evans has been on about, the sponsorships for all these 'health' information organisations comes from the exact foods their promoting. She says 'we shouldn't cut out dairy because then who would pay me to go on ads for TV?' There is no one size fits all approach to nutrition, some people can tolerate dairy just fine but the majority of the population is to some degree intolerant to lactose so telling everyone to get all their daily calcium from dairy is completely unnecessary. I don't drink milk, or eat yoghurt or any other dairy products, but easily meet or exceed the RDI for calcium through vegetables and nuts.
As for her saying it was expensive, all the stuff she said cost over $70 or whatever, it was all the extra foods used to make the paleo versions of dessert foods. I personally have found eating meat, vegies and nuts predominantly has been cheaper than when I was eating the recommended servings of cereals etc. I could go on for hours about how much this grinds my gears, medical and scientific research is always changing so why are we still sticking with basically the same guidelines for 30+ years? Really interested to see how that study Evans funded on the PCOS and LCHF because I know a lot of girls with this issue, and they all have really poor diets and find it really hard to lose weight based on the government recommendations, if that is found to help reduce the incidence of PCOS, which I have no doubt that it will, then surely someone will have to take notice.

Cows don't drink milk for their calcium , they eat grass, calcium dependence on drinking milk is just a good marketing ploy by the Dairy industry.
How coincident to get a daily requirement of calcium when need a glass of milk, slices of cheese & a tub of yogurt, wander who benefits from this!

Alsojust because someone can tolerate Dairy , or other foods more than others for thiat matter, doesn't mean it's good for them.
A2 milk advertising is fraudulent , she clearly says on the add the other milks are contain A1& A2 protein yet A2 milk contains on A2 protein but if you look on the label on back of bottle it states a certain percentage of the milk is Beta-caseins(A2) not all of the protein is.
I questioned the company via email about this and as expected no reply.
Jersey cows produce A2 milk protien whom are more expensive to milk than other breeds hence why A2 milk was never produced, this A2 milk company sneak some real A2 protein in the product so the call it A2 milk, scam!!!!

Last edited:
No Butter, man your missing out!

I was having a bulletproof coffee every morning but ran out of upgraded coffee and have been too stingy to order some more so I have just been having a vienna coffee in the mornings.

I was having a bulletproof coffee every morning but ran out of upgraded coffee and have been too stingy to order some more so I have just been having a vienna coffee in the mornings.

Just find some good organic beans from you local Heath store or coffee shop.
Go by smell, bad smell bad quality.
I've been using beens grown in the Whitsundays, $22.00 for 500g ground dark roast.

Had a very high intensity weekend of waterskiing :) body was in a pretty poor state of repair yesterday so I took it easy at the gym. Here's a post I put up on my workout log on bb.com

So I underestimated how worn out my body was from my weekend of water skiing. Started off with 80kg bench press (a weight I should be able to get 10 reps out on my first set) and was only able to push out 5 reps due to general soreness but also some pain in my left bicep tendon. I would probably put that down to the use of mixed grip when slalom waterskiing, I wouldn't have used mixed grip for any sort of exercise since last waterskiing about 8 months ago.

I kept the rest of my workout very low weight in order to not aggravate the injury further.

So here it is

07/10 Waterskiing Recovery Session 83.2kg
Bench 80kg 5,3,3
Deadlift (mixed grip) 60kg 10,10,10
Tricep Pushdown 20kg 10,10,10
Barbell shoulder press 20kg 10,10,10
Barbell bicep curl 10kg 10,10,10
Seated cable row (mixed grip) 30kg 10,10,10
Incline bench press 40kg 8,8,8

Going for a run this morning, probably take a rest day tomorrow.

I'm also going to be upping my carb intake for the next week or so depending on how my recovery goes. After the city to bay I felt like it took my leg muscles longer than normal to recover, a fact I could only attribute to very low carb intake.

Forgot to mention that I'll be continuing to train (in the morning) through my recovery, either light weight resistance training, swimming or jogging and not consuming carbs until dinner time in order to keep my body in a state of intermittent ketosis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go with decreased mental functioning on low-carb diets?

Have quit smoking, started exercising more and been watching what I eat. Still unsure about the low carb thing...what about the food pyramid? I'm thinking of just giving it a go.

Have quit smoking, started exercising more and been watching what I eat. Still unsure about the low carb thing...what about the food pyramid? I'm thinking of just giving it a go.
Who said their is decreased mental function? That's a new one on me.

giving up smoking decreases mental function substantially in the short term.

giving up smoking decreases mental function substantially in the short term.

Yeah I think the exercise and eating better is helping me not to feel this.

Main concerns with low carb are lack of energy and any negative long term health risks (bit rich coming from a recent smoker I know)

Do governments and health departments stay away from recommending low carb because there's just a lack of research? I'm thinking that's probably the go. Anecdotal stuff seems to be pretty positive.

Will plan to do a trial of a low carb diet soon. Need to read up on it some more but will post back here with progress. Any tips or particular methods I should follow? How hardcore do you guys get about eliminating all carbs? Aren't vegetables carbs?

Also want to do some weights to grow my skinny girl arms but I suspect there's another thread for that.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegetable are carbs, but they come with fibre as well - fibre isnt digested so although it adds to the bulk it doesnt add to the calorie count. If you look at the actual carbs in a carrot, broccoli or head of lettuce you will be surprised how low the carb amount is for the size - its all water and fibre.

Eating low carb is really cutting down on the calorie dense carbs - sugar obviously, and things made from grains: bread, pasta etc.

Try 3grams of pink himalayan or sea salt spaced out thru the day

Serious?

Sea salt is just sodium cloride with some trace elements afaik.

I suppose I might not be getting as much salt with the change of diet...is that the idea? I thought limiting it would be good since I've heard salt being linked to heart attacks and stroke.

Then what you've heard is wrong.
I guarantee if you did an autopsy on heart attack victims, none of them died from sea salt or saturated fat consumption.
All the correct info is out there , just depends how determined you are to seek it.

Half the people who have a heart attack or die from CVD have normal or low cholesterol, and that's a fact, and high "good" saturated fat eaters have high LDL but the ratio heavily favours apoA-I the large good fluffy type. And its interesting that high transfat eaters "junk foodies" have similar LDL levels, but the ratio is reversed and they have high levels of apoB the small hard dense dangerous type. And furthermore those on a so called "balanced" diet like the mythical Mediterranean diet and most Vegan/vegetarians have low LDL (that doctors love) but their ratios are usually balanced or 50/50 (probably due to the high carb intake) and have slightly more apoB than saturated fat eaters. Thats why cholesterol is crazy s**t.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back