LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Find a good butcher or green grocer (both generally stock farm eggs, some grass fed butter and milk) and you hardly go to the supermarket again. Once you get to know the owners they will normally look after you or let you know costs on getting a side of meat that you can freeze.

It is so simple.

De Iulio2Wiggins - great post...all good and helpful points to anyone on LCHF - but I was referencing the future rather than now, in a hypothetical of the pyramid being reversed and fats/fatty meats being in high demand. :)

Haha, yeah reading back over what I wrote, I'd spent Saturday night marking essays and going slightly bonkers, I kinda slipped into stern teacher tone without even realising it.

You're right of course. Prices will shift with demand, while our buying power will erode as working conditions improve in other countries. We can only buy so much s**t so cheaply right now because people are still willing to work in China, India and Vietnam for $10 a day.

When I was a kid in the 80s, cuts of meat like lamb shanks, ox tail and rabbit carcasses were almost given away. We still had a rabbitoh in our country town who sold fat wild bunnies for a dollar or two. A few years back I was walking through the South Melbourne market (yep, straight to the dim sim shop) and 1.5kg rabbit carcasses were going for $20. Shanks cost more than leg roasts. And that all happened because 'peasant food' got incredibly popular with chefs and their diners.

Aside from a freezer, the best $150 I spent in the kitchen was for a Breville Fast Slow Pressure Cooker

Now Bazzar's told me ^^^, I feel even better about the frankly bloody awesome stews, casseroles and sauces that come out of it. I'm a pretty average cook, but it's nearly impossible to stuff up a recipe with a pressure cooker. With a separate cooker like this, you can't even fall asleep on the couch and turn your kitchen into a stew grenade. It even beeps to wake you up.

Symons, I think there is going to be a massive shift, a lot quicker than you think.

Look at the explosion of organic, juicing and now paleo; its ~5 years for juicing, ~3 years for the real shift to organic, and the recognition of paleo has blown up in the last two years - and even the last six months with the inclusion of Pete Evans types, and the snowballing information on the Internet which is gathering steam at a crazy rate.

Give it a couple of years, and I think things will hage changed massively, in the mainstream.

And great post DL2Wiggins; makes me actually feel excited about learning to cook more lchf/paleo type meals, and how to get the best out of them.

The main global change will be LCHF, but here in Australia with Pete Evans popularity and now him being the unofficial spokesman for change its Paleo (and good to see he now includes LCHF in his posts)

In some ways its a shame being labeled Paleo because if you want to eliminate grain and dairy that should be your choice and it shouldnt be the mandatory change that Paleo promotes. Eliminating sugar, reducing carb and increasing healthy fat is where it is, and then its up to the individual if they want to do it the Paleo/primal, vegan, or mediterranean way.

For me its the Mark Sisson Primal Blueprint that im interested in.

I've been seeing a huge shift in recognition of intestinal health and the role it plays in causing/preventing illness. This article, positing that eating disorders may be affected by intestinal health, popped up yesterday on r/science, and there has been plenty more written about gut health by accredited scientists, who admit that they're just starting to explore the links.

When this goes mainstream, all bets are off.

The fact they think the sun shines out of their arses, they also bang on about how their diet is the one and only. Look at those two nut cases Freelee and Dr Ornish.
Something i've noticed that is starting to bother me is Nutritionfacts.org - frequently pandering to the vegos/vegans of the world with article headlines that are ALWAYS either anti animal products, or pro-veg in a manner that validates all the delusions of the vegos who wouldn't read a study that doesn't agree with their ideology. It strikes me as odd because you get the impression of science > all but every headline comes off as a loaded post to me these days, posts such as

• saturated fat associated with lower sperm count
  • Vegos have a significantly lower heart disease mortality rate than "healthy" omnivores
  • New study on the prevalence of celiac disease finds 1 in 141 Americans need to avoid gluten. For the vast majority, though, eating whole grains, including those with gluten (wheat, barley and rye), has beneficial effects
Each met with the usual ignorant rubbish that I used to spout off and believe myself when I was a vego a year ago.

• New study on the prevalence of celiac disease finds 1 in 141 Americans need to avoid gluten. For the vast majority, though, eating whole grains, including those with gluten (wheat, barley and rye), has beneficial effects

My favorite microbiologist blogger Dr Art Ayers from Cooling Inflammation just posted this about Celiac, gluten and trypsin, its a terrific read.
"Summary- Forget the gluten. Celiac is caused by trypsin inhibitors (ATI) that were increased in wheat fifty years ago to combat pests. Immune response to ATI spreads to include gluten and transglutaminase that perpetuates the disease. Celiac is an unexpected consequence of traditional plant breeding that could be fixed with GMO approaches.
Plants Protect Themselves with Antibiotics, Pesticides and Trypsin Inhibitors.
Plants respond to pathogens and pests by making themselves toxic. Thus, plants produce natural antibiotics, phytoalexins, a.k.a. phytochemicals, polyphenolics or antioxidants, to kill bacteria and fungi. They also produce chemical pesticides and proteins, e.g. trypsin inhibitor, that block the digestion and utilization of plant proteins by insects. One of these trypsin inhibitors makes ground soybeans inedible until it is removed in water rinses during the production of tofu. Another of these trypsin inhibitors, in wheat, is the cause of celiac."
http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/celiac-gluten-and-trypsin-inhibitor.html

Also this is a must for Paleo eaters on the hidden dangers and how to correct gut flora.
http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/paleo-gut-flora-repair.html

King Elvis - whilst I think you're right, and the movement is definitely gathering momentum, I think the UK is quite a way behind, which is probably colouring my view of things.

I think Pete Evans has done wonders for bringing the discussion of Paleo to the table in Australia - he's definitely a man with a mission, and again, it's one of those things that's just so obvious when you think about it for half a second...and that's what he's pushing, particularly with the tick campaign. It's making people re-evaluate what they're actually buying; just because something has less fat, or less sugar, or fewer calories than its sibling product (i.e. low fat ice-cream against regular ice-cream), it doesn't make it an automatically healthy choice.

So far, we haven't really got anyone like that in the UK. All of the celebrities and athletes who are advocates of LCHF or Paleo seem to be American, so they're not as big in our press. Whilst basketball seems fairly big in Australia as a spectator sport, you never see it in the UK. I reckon 80% of the people I know wouldn't have a clue who LeBron is, for instance.

But I think it will come. The question is whether or not people manage to get the food pyramid changed; that would be the major turning point. Otherwise, it might just be adopted and rejected as another diet fad, a la Atkins in the early 2000s, GI in the late 2000s, Dukan 3 or so years ago, or the ditch sugar movement of 2014.

De Iulio2Wiggins - no worries, mate. :D It was a great post though! I can totally empathise on the popularity of foods... Pork belly slices used to be super cheap here, as nobody ever wanted to eat such fatty "poor" slices, so my parents always got a great bargain on them. I remember my mum calling me up and sighing that Jamie Oliver had popularised them, and they'd tripled in price!

The pressure cooker you linked looks brilliant; I should invest in one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have to make it a sunday arvo staple methinks. Will def. have to play with some marinading combinations though, any suggestions?

i do a lot of Asian flavours on the meat side. Soy, very small amounts of black vinegar, five spice. I also smoke with a touch of apple wood.

On the skin side mainly just salt, but I sometimes put salt, white peppercorns and fennel seed in the mortar and pestle and rub that on the skin. Works really well

Looks like the DAA are running scared and are hoping if they ignore the problem it will just go away. Here is their just released internal presser to their members

"ATTENTION MEMBERS
DAA members will be aware of criticism of the Association and our members through social media by high-profile advocates of the Paleo Diet. We have developed a clear Position Statement in response. While we will continue to monitor this issue, we do not wish to add more ‘oxygen’ to this by continuing to respond. With this in mind, DAA cautions members against further engaging in this issue through social media. Please consider that posting or commenting through social media may actually be creating more ‘noise’ and credibility around our critic’s cause. And as with all interactions, as professionals, DAA members must be conscious of the DAA Code of Professional Conduct and Statement of Ethical Practice."

Looks like the DAA are running scared and are hoping if they ignore the problem it will just go away. Here is their just released internal presser to their members

"ATTENTION MEMBERS
DAA members will be aware of criticism of the Association and our members through social media by high-profile advocates of the Paleo Diet. We have developed a clear Position Statement in response. While we will continue to monitor this issue, we do not wish to add more ‘oxygen’ to this by continuing to respond. With this in mind, DAA cautions members against further engaging in this issue through social media. Please consider that posting or commenting through social media may actually be creating more ‘noise’ and credibility around our critic’s cause. And as with all interactions, as professionals, DAA members must be conscious of the DAA Code of Professional Conduct and Statement of Ethical Practice."
lol

melaniej it's gonna be interesting trying to continue a LCHF mantra in this field

"ATTENTION MEMBERS

So they've squibbed it.

Boring as bat s**t, boo hoo it's all the advertising.
It was a shocker and a waste of 40 minutes. Funny how they gave a kicking to Maccas and Coke for sponsoring junior sport but the Dude from WHO at Deakin and his buddies from the DAA do not complain about Coke and Nestle sponsoring them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back