Delisted Luke Ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
While the way he left us was disappointing but after all he did play 142 games for us along with captaining the club and winning a Trevor Barker Award in 2005.

All the best in retirement Bally.

Delete the threads if you wish mods but as a former saint and captain i thought it was worth a thread.

Seemed like a bloody sook when he left. But then again he also seems like a genuinely good bloke before and after that happend.
So i think it was just a case of him and Lyon just not seeing eye to eye. Grant Thomas couldnt rate him highly enough.
He played under duress a lot of his career with us. I dont think we managed his body ( or Kosi's ) well enough early in his career..
I dont love him or hate. Just feel a bit 'meh' nowdays.
But he was a brave player.

I guess like Lenny he didn't want it to be a year too long. He hasn't been amazing this year but he's been a valuable trooper for them up until now.

Sort of a strange thread as he is an opposition player, however I think well worth a debate

On the one hand how nice of him to play the 142 games or whatever for us.

On the other hand, he sooked an awful lot and left to g to another contender with nothing in return and made us look, rightly or wrongly, pretty bad in the whole deal. Further rubbed salt into our wounds by winning the flag against us the following year of course.

On a third hand, how would our history have looked if we had picked Judd with his bad shoulders in front of him.

To paraphrase Kevin Garnett: F*ck Luke Ball, imma kill that n*****

Seriously though, on field he was a courageous and put his body on the line in 142 games for us but, as mismanaged as he may have been by Ross, I still can't forgive him for leaving the way he did to another flag contender. Agree with krusden thoughts basically.

Wish Bally nothing but the Best watched him put his body on the line in every one of the 142 games

Firstly I want to congratulate him as a player because far too often we get drawn into club loyalties when really they're part of a very few who get to do what they love whilst entertaining others and getting paid to do it.

Secondly I want to say get @#$% media organisations, "Collingwood great" my left testical, if you're going to salute a guy who played at multiple clubs, and the majority of his time at not Collingwood, maybe highlight the consummate clubman he was at both clubs rather than headline grabbing you schmucks.

Thirdly, eat it Pies.

Fourthly, this is a friggen travesty and ball is a right flog for overshadowing the mecca that is campaigner, who, like Heracles before him, surpassed mere mortals and put GC where they are today;

Wishing that they had of chased Ablett sooner than they did.

May you go with honour back to rugby and celebrate your godhod by drinking your own piss. It's OK though, just have a ferrero rocher wrapper nearby and no one will know the difference thanks to advertising.

Absolutely loved him.

RU best and fairest at 20 in a top 4 team
B&F at 21 in a top 4 team and All Australian
Captain at 22

Averaged 5 tackles a game asa kid, genuinely tough as they come .... And was silky before he play an entire season with OP after being mismanaged a wrecked his body thereafter.

Imagine if we had a kid that good know... We'd be blowing our lids. Put it this way ... Jack has not achieved that level at 24 and we consider him our jet.

Possibly Lenny aside,my most admired player 2003-2009.

A black day when we ousted (and yes we did) and supposedly couldn't afford him... Bit could afford a Million over 3 years... For a woman bashing drunk ... Who was unfit, had had 1 top ten B&F finish in a crap team and was a well known prick. Plus we lost Luke for ZERO (stubbornness) and gave up Pick 16 for a 27yo overrated inconsistent outside down hill skier

Beginning of the end it was!

I sometimes forget that he played in a grand final for us, it feels like he left a lot earlier than that.

I don't begrudge him for leaving, he was just doing what was best for him. I do hate the fact that due to our inept recruiting team at the time, we got nothing for him. I also hate that he chose Collingwood.

Let's hope he lots of talented sons, who don't pick up his injury prone-ness.

I reckon he'll be the CEO of the AFL one day, fwiw.

Loved Luke at the Saints. He was crippled with injury and played through it, for the good of the team.

Hated how he was used in the 2009 Grand Final and managed by Lyin. Thought he lowered his colours in the manner that he left St Kilda.

But through it all he obviously has a love for the Saints and great friendship with his past team mates. Seems like a lovely guy and wish him every success in life after football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the players that left us Ball hurts the most.

It cost us a flag, simple as that.

For that I could never forgive him... He broke the pact & left his mates when they needed him most.

All the rubbish about leaving due to the time on the bench in the GF is utter rubbish. He was in cohoots with the filth mid year... He knew his 500k a year was going to be cut back & ran to the highest bidder.

Good bloke/sh1t bloke...who cares. He cost us dearly & as a result I have zero respect for the bloke. A true Collingfilth flog in my book.

Couldn't kick over a jam jar?

Didn't see him pre-2006?

He left us for damn good reason, the fact he didn't shove it in our face GF day 2010... Shows he was a bigger man

He was dumped by Ross and it was made clear to him, that he was on the outer... Don't make up history.

Btw
We were offered a trade.... Turned it down...

I wish him all the best.

But, I clearly remember him saying in a tv interview in 2004-06 that if a member of the core players left, he would have words with him.

Went back on his word.

I would still salute him him for the the 142 games, but with a grimace.

Have to respect him for his time at St Kilda, always gave his all despite struggling with injury for a lot of it.

His move to Collingwood left a bad taste in the mouth, especially the way it played out but with the way he was treated by Lyon you couldn't really blame him for leaving.

Like Goddard and Dal Santo it's a pity he couldn't finish his career at St Kilda but that's the way the AFL is going these days with free agency.

Luke Ball, while being a good solid player for us, in the end spooked it up a storm. His stats through 2009 show he struggled for form & arguably played his best game for the season in the Grand Final of that year because Ross Lyon had worked out that using him in bursts got the best out of him. He requested a trade to Collingwood, which was interesting, then we failed to take what was on offer from the Pies (they offered pick 31 - the pick they used in the ND to recruit him) - understandably due to the fact the club didn't really think Luke would have the disloyalty to just walk out & that the offer was a little unders, they thought he was a better person than that. Turns out he wasn't, then won a flag for our mortal enemy against us....

I'm sick of the Luke Ball was 'mistreated by StKilda rubbish'.... He walked out on us, plain & simple

Couldn't kick over a jam jar?

Didn't see him pre-2006?

He left us for damn good reason, the fact he didn't shove it in our face GF day 2010... Shows he was a bigger man

He was dumped by Ross and it was made clear to him, that he was on the outer... Don't make up history.

Btw
We were offered a trade.... Turned it down...

Yep, he was dropped ok. And for good reasons too. But he cracked the sooks rather than take it on the chin and come back better like Dal and Milney did.

His output at the time did not justify the coin he was getting paid.

His rotations on GF day were strictly managed as a result of his stamina.

Bottom line: Zero care factor to be honest.

Was Ball responsible for that?

Serious? he refused to talk to or get medicals from other clubs. It was Pies or bust. If the shoe was on the other foot, we would have been sanctioned for draft tampering. Why do you think that Collingwood was happy to risk his fitness so readily and offer him the coin that they did?

And that means no 100 games for Collingwood, so Saints retain exclusive access to father-son rights ...
Just waiting for the AFL to make the new cut-off be 80 games. Eddie will see to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back