Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been pretty decent without being outstanding, he could stand to be a little less defensively naive. And I'm confident I'll still be saying that in two years time when he's still playing the same way but the shiny new player smell has worn off (see also: Sholl).

He's been pretty decent without being outstanding, he could stand to be a little less defensively naive. And I'm confident I'll still be saying that in two years time when he's still playing the same way but the shiny new player smell has worn off (see also: Sholl).

Signficantly taller and has more athletic attributes than Sholl.

If his development stalls like Sholl did then sure but at least we know there's a player with AFL attribute to get excited about. Very clean below his knee and in tight and can fly for a mark and more importantly doesn't mind sticking a tackle, he even did this against Dixon.

Agree with this. I was a bit surprised people rated his second game tonight that highly in the post-game thread. Think he was okay, obviously has some real skills, but definitely didn't look like a defender and if this was his first game you wouldn't be that excited.

Loved the first half of the Melbourne game though and he's worth a run to see how he stacks up over the next few weeks. Possible that his best role is just somewhere else, and he is being asked to defend more than he ideally will be.

Agree with this. I was a bit surprised people rated his second game tonight that highly in the post-game thread. Think he was okay, obviously has some real skills, but definitely didn't look like a defender and if this was his first game you wouldn't be that excited.

Loved the first half of the Melbourne game though and he's worth a run to see how he stacks up over the next few weeks. Possible that his best role is just somewhere else, and he is being asked to defend more than he ideally will be.
He isn't a defender. He 's a wingman that can go into the centre and push forward. Similar to Dawson's best spot on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isn't a defender. He 's a wingman that can go into the centre and push forward. Similar to Dawson.
Maybe. Problem is that Smith and Milera are already relatively unaccountable guys who play behind the ball, and justify that role with their speed/leg. Based on today it looks like the plan is that Smith moves up the ground and Nankervis plays a more accountable role behind the ball, like Hinge does. Can only have so many people playing that rebounding HBF/wing role. I think, like Hinge, he will need to defend.

Maybe. Problem is that Smith and Milera are already relatively unaccountable guys who play behind the ball, and justify that role with their speed/leg. Based on today it looks like the plan is that Smith moves up the ground and Nankervis plays a more accountable role behind the ball, like Hinge does. Can only have so many people playing that rebounding HBF/wing role. I think, like Hinge, he will need to defend.
Thats why they were going after Redman I believe. I'm not sure how long smith has in the game. Maybe another year. We should target another lockdown defender in the offseason. We will have Muzz back mid season next year as well. Not sure what's happening with Doedee. It looks like he is off. Nank is too creative to be playing deep back. He is a goal kicker as well.

Looks elite when he has the ball and has the extra second pendlebury effect. Hard to see what’s happening off the ball when watching on tv.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Love this kid, has the skills and courage where you can see he’s going to be a regular AFL player. Looks very much like a Soligo-type, can see him being tried in various positions.

His clean hands/one touch is really good. Laird is the best in the league. This really stands out with Nankervis.

He looks composed and has sufficient skills by hand and foot - tick.

Doesn't really stand out with pace (not slow by any means) or athleticism and very slim at this stage although a decent height.

Another pre-season or two to build up the body.

I think there is definitely AFL qualities and whatever AFL footy we can give him this season will hold him in good stead.

Has he been played on ball at all in the SANFL? Wouldn't mind seeing him play there in the SANFL finals (make sure he qualifies if not already) and see how he goes in close with the bigger bodies as with those clean hands he looks like he could create.

His clean hands/one touch is really good. Laird is the best in the league. This really stands out with Nankervis.

He looks composed and has sufficient skills by hand and foot - tick.

Doesn't really stand out with pace (not slow by any means) or athleticism and very slim at this stage although a decent height.

Another pre-season or two to build up the body.

I think there is definitely AFL qualities and whatever AFL footy we can give him this season will hold him in good stead.

Has he been played on ball at all in the SANFL? Wouldn't mind seeing him play there in the SANFL finals (make sure he qualifies if not already) and see how he goes in close with the bigger bodies as with those clean hands he looks like he could create.
Mutineer .....did Nankervis play MID / FWD in the U18's ??

Back