Retired Matthew Boyd (#904)

Remove this Banner Ad

So where do we put him JTG? If he's our leading possession getter in most games then we're in shite because he's going to turn a significant number of those over. I think he should revert to a run with role rather than a distribution role that the captaincy seems to have thrust upon him. No-ones winning there. Eventually these turnovers grind the team down. You get 12 point swings all over the place and the confidence of the team is either diminished or never established. He's not the lone ranger in that department but he's certainly riding at the front. I think it's necessary for the teams progression that he's transitioned out of a distribution role very, very, very soon. He has plenty within to offer within the club/team as an example of dedication to training, effort etc but in the end his contribution on the field should be net positive and by some margin and his best chance of achieving that is run with in my view.

Agree - his disposal is poor

How about we have a look at Higgins while we are at it.. Zero Influence on the game is unacceptable :(

Lets also have a look at Liam Jones softness, Dylan Addisons undisciplined play, Gia's lack of accountability when the pill is in his opponents hands, Christian Howard, Ayce Cordy's Softness and Zero impact on the game etc

Long way to go yet, but these above blokes need to improve heaps , although Gia is on his way out anyway....

:

You need to look at the positives, 4 out 10 possessions hit the target normally he's running at 2or3 out of 10

You are not allowed to have a negative opinion on this site

You need to look at the positives, 4 out 10 possessions hit the target normally he's running at 2or3 out of 10

Sure you are, I'm just waiting for the threads on Griffen, Dahlhaus and Picken who butchered the ball even more tonight, oh wait they are favourites so that won't happen

Does not matter if he hands the ball over on a regular basis. 'He is a quality person'

Ha, couldn't agree more messrs Interloper, Wian and Staphy.

Funnily enough, the bright lights are all our absolute kids - i.e. none of the rot we drafted in 2009 or prior. Very disappointed in Higgins, Cordy, and co.

Jones I can actually see a forward in - if we could actually kick the ball to his advantage. You have to admit his kicking action has improved - more than you can say for:
  • Jarrod Grant's body size
  • Higgins' general ability (gone backwards)
  • Cordy's overhead marking - scratch that, ability to do anything
  • Boyd's disposal (obviously)
  • Howard's ability to do anything required from a first round pick (aside from gelling his hair of course).

Maybe, but Boyd got more of the footy than all of them in the first game, and turned it over at a higher rate.

Plus he's the Captain!

Griffen had 8 touches 6 clangers, Dahlhaus 5 touches 2 clangersPickens 2 touches 2 clangers......Boyd didn't turn over half his touches like these guys did, the untouchable squad who supporters see with rosé coloured glasses as they are nice players to watch

How about we have a look at Higgins while we are at it.. Not Captain

Lets also have a look at Liam Jones softness,
Dylan Addisons undisciplined play,Not Captain
Gia's lack of accountability when the pill is in his opponent Not Captain
Christian Howard, Not Captain
Ayce Cordy's Softness and Zero impact on the game etc Not Captain

We will not be a great team whilst Matthew Boy is Captain END OF STORY

Griffen had 8 touches 6 clangers, Dahlhaus 5 touches 2 clangersPickens 2 touches 2 clangers......Boyd didn't turn over half his touches like these guys did, the untouchable squad who supporters see with rosé coloured glasses as they are nice players to watch
I agree about Griffin - Absolutely Zero Influence on the game - If you compare him to Say Dane Swan who stepped up when the game was on the line , Griffen was nowhere to be seen sadly. I dont blaim Boyd entirely for his poor disposal - Sometimes when you have woeful players around you , it makes your own possession look worse sadly..... Boyd looked ok with say Barrl Hall and Akka and Johnno etc on the end of his kicks, but when you have the likes of Cordy and Jones and Grant on the end of it, your disposal will look even worse...

Agree, they are not captain, but it takes more than 1 player to win a game Fred :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about the guy that is supposed to and does set the standard for training and expectation at the club.

When he gets to the game the DIRECT goals that result from his poor disposal costs us dearly. The entire team hangs their heads after his stuff ups. Opposition teams do not even bother to tag him because he does not hurt them with his disposal.

Agree. Just has not improved at all in the area he needs to most of all. Overall skill level was not much greater than Boyd's though which is the biggest concern.

It was Griff's worst game in a long time. Played in the backline a lot, which I thought was odd. Maybe just giving others midfield time.
He had a crap game as did a few high profile players. Thing with Griff is he has a lot of credit in the bank in as much as we know he can and will rise in big games and will perform under pressure on a big stage (so if he's not tearing it up in the first NAB cup game of 2013 there's some latitude there). Didn't seem particularly switched on but has a higher ceiling. Did seem that he was "out of the middle" for the purpose of testing the mettle of a few others in there as you suggest.
Boydy, on the other hand, would appear to be as deficient in disposal by foot as he's ever been. I'm resigned to a "that's as good as it gets and will ever be" view of that part of his game. The trick is to find a role for him where it won't kill us and his other qualities can be maximised.

I must be the only one whose not really worried about tonight. I thought the skills overall were very average with all three teams but the other two were a little cleaner and more exprienced. Two half games after each other is nothing more than a hit out. I will be waiting till after Rd 3 of the pre season before judging if players are soft or if there going to have an impact on the upcoming year.

Have you people only just discovered that Boyd cant kick and actually costs our team with his "junior football" turnovers?

Where have you been for the past few seasons!!!

Have you people only just discovered that Boyd cant kick and actually costs our team with his "junior football" turnovers?

Where have you been for the past few seasons!!!

I don't get to see the Dogs live many times. Last time was 2011 and I watched Boyd closely. Utterly butchered the ball when under no pressure.

No. Does not have it in him. Too proud a footballer to sacrifice his own game to support better footballers to have an impact.
Just quietly from what I've gathered about Boyd, this is the complete opposite.

But on topic: lets burn down Whitten Oval. It's clearly the only answer to poor disposal in the first match of the season. Lets see if he gets to an acceptable level when they are actually playing proper games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back