Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with Fletcher's comments, he did seem to really settle in this season, started to really believe he is the dominate ruckman that we all know he is. Finished the year very strongly, and also started to add other parts to his game, playing some time up forward and being able to drift forward and kick a few goals. That's exactly what you want from your ruckman.

I think this year could be a really solid foundation year for Bergs going forward. He should be full of confidence knowing he was one of the inform ruckman in the comp by seasons end.

Re: Ben Hudson

Yeah it will be good idea to develop Leuey's forward game. We have a capable backup ruck now so now Leuey can also focus on his goal kicking capabilities.

Rob Kerr's Trade Week Objectives

We are comfortable that in Matthew Leuenberger, we have a player capable of being bracketed in the Top 3 in the competition. Therefore we wanted a support act rather than a competitor.

leuenberger79.jpg

Jamie Charman's twitter:

Link

Back to work tomorrow!!!! Looking forward to my new role @brisbanelions @AFLBrisbaneFC as the new Business Development Exec/ Ruck Coach..

Link

Really pumped to be back!!! Thanks guys, looking forward to working with @leuey23 @brisbanelions next season..

This will be Leuenberger's 4th ruck coach:

Shaun Rehn: 2007
Clark Keating: 2008
Beau McDonald: 2009 - 2011
Jamie Charman: 2012*

This will be Leuenberger's 4th ruck coach:

Shaun Rehn: 2007
Clark Keating: 2008
Beau McDonald: 2009 - 2011
Jamie Charman: 2012*

Leuy is obviously a jinx...

Expert help for big Lion
By Michael Whiting
1:22 PM Mon 21 Nov, 2011

Although Charman has been at the club in a playing capacity since Leuenberger was taken with the no.4 pick in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, the Western Australian said he was excited about their new working relationship.

"He's a really good mate of mine," he said.

"I caught up with him on the weekend and spent most of Saturday with him and he went through a few ideas that he's got and I'm pretty excited.

"I worked with him for a bit last year and really valued what he had to say and I thought he coached really well in the couple of weeks I had him, so I’m excited to have him on board."

"A few of my goals this year have been to drive my midfield area," he said. "I feel like I'm starting to establish myself in the role I play within the team, so there's a few things I want to incorporate, and work with the other mids and make sure our structures are in place.

"That's been my goal going into pre-season - to get a bit more leadership and direction going in my midfield group."

leuenberger89.jpg

Using the terminology "my midfield" is great to hear. Sounds as though he is ready to grab the game by the throat.

As long as he doesn't pick up Charmo's habit of being a bit too rough with his opponents and giving away every free kick under the sun.

(Love you Charmo!)

footytragic

Big Leuey will surely be one of the most selected players in 2012, in both Dream Team and SuperCoach. It has taken us a few years to see Leauy really establish himself, but in 2012 we saw what he is capable of doing. Whilst the coaching staff played around with him in various roles early in the year (mainly up forward), they gave in to the fact he is a ruckman first and foremost and gave him the first ruck position for the remainder of the year.

He averaged 103 DT and 121 SC points over the last nine games of the season, which goes to show what he is capable of on a consistent basis. Whilst he is priced at 92/101, I believe the former numbers are the ones we are much more likely to expect from him in 2012. It is interesting to note that whilst Leuey was often injured earlier in his career, he is now the 2nd most durable ruckman (behind Cox), having played 44 consecutive games.

The only concern I have over Leuenberger going into 2012 is the fact he may not be the sole ruckman in the team each week, with Ben Hudson being drafted to the club in the off-season. Personally I am of the belief that he was only brought in as insurance should Leuey go down, but still the concern is there that Hudson could play and take valuable game-time away from him. Anyway, this will be another important thing to monitor through the NAB cup.

6718107731_cd7fb71d45.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

dreamteam talk

Last year was a breakout for the RedRock Berger combo with Redden and Rockliff making significant improvements to their average and Leuenberger was no different, taking his average from 77 to 93. Last year it took the Berger a few rounds to get going, not managing to score 100 until round 7 but from that point he never looked back.

Over the last 17 games he managed 30 or more hit outs a total of 15 times. The Lions will make significant improvements of last years performance so that should assist the big man in making a natural progression toward a 100 point average. After early concerns about durability in his career, he has put together back to back seasons of 22 games which is impressive for the big guy who has been labeled the next Dean Cox.

Deck of DT Rating: King- Although there is a slight concern about Hudson taking some time from the Berger in the middle, he is such a good player that he will likely remain on the ground and rest as a secondary forward filling the role that Mitch Clark sucked at (he is much better than Clark so will dominate) last year. I think this bloke is a champion and he will not let you down.

leuenberger111.jpg

Link ....

With a decision yet to be made whether a replacement will be made for Clark in Brisbane's leadership group, Brown said a handful such as Daniel Rich, James Polkinghorne, Jack Redden and Matthew Leuenberger were all deserving.

"The more guys you can get displaying the right behaviours is important and that's what we're starting to get at the Brisbane Lions which I thought was pretty lean for a few years," he said.

6710865169_c532fbfef7.jpg

AFL Prospectus 2012

Leuenberger was the most improved player for Brisbane last season, averaging 34 more Champion Data ranking points per game than 2010 and finishing sixth in the B&F - the best result of his career. He took the step to becoming an elite ruckman in the second-half of the season, averaging the second-most Champion Data ranking points of any ruckman after Round 13. In the first half of the season, he was above average at winning the ruck contest, but had the lowest hitout-to-advantage rate of the 23 players with at least 100 hitouts in that time. But from round 13 onwards he was elite at winning the ruck contest and also improved his hitout-to-advantage rate to 26% - above average for an AFL ruckman. Leuenberger also used the ball much better in the second half of the year, with a disposal efficiency of 74% - up from 60% before Round 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Hudson

Hudson's primary role at the Lions is to help nurture and take pressure off Leuenberger and draftee Billy Longer.

Both rucks - nine and 14 years his junior respectively - have nothing but admiration for Hudson and the way he plays his footy.

"The Lions have obviously got a great young ruckman in Leuey. He's had some good years the last couple of years, and has got the potential to take it to the next level," Hudson said.

"He's got every attribute I don't have; height, pace, skill. And Billy, the young kids are nearly ready to go, he's such a big body. Both of them are going to be great players in the future."

6552469531_da9f94551a.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Mark Mickan

"It appears that ruckmen are becoming taller and bigger than before," Mickan said.
"But at the same time, with training methods they are becoming more athletic.
"Look at (Nic) Naitanui, (Matthew) Kreuzer, (Matthew) Leuenberger ... they're all very capable at ground level as well as being able to cover the ground.
"What seems to be really common with modern ruckmen is their athletic ability, their speed and endurance."

6417399465_d605877c55.jpg

photo courtesy of stichface

Live chat

Comment From jayden
are you playing in nab cup?

hey jayden will be playing in the nab cup fit and healthy for selection

Comment From KLR
Think you might go forward and boot some goals this year?

i think so. pretty sure they are keen to play 2 rucks so for rotations i think its inevitable that i would see some time forward.

Comment From REECE86
have you had much to do with harv seeing you might push forward this year

i spend most my time in areas with the midfield but over the preaseason i have spent a few sessions here and there working with harvs and the forwards

Link ....

Leuenberger is held in such high regard, he may yet replace Clark in the leadership group alongside Brown and vice-captains Daniel Merrett, Jed Adcock, Tom Rockliff and Josh Drummond.

Leuenberger has impressed while all but playing a lone hand in the ruck. Despite putting his knee issues of 2009 well behind him, a fighting fit Leuenberger has appreciated the load being shared at the club thanks to the arrival of No.8 draft pick Billy Longer and veteran ex-Western Bulldog Ben Hudson.

"It is the first time in quite a while we've had four fit ruckmen in the squad," Leuenberger said.

6880622661_06252fac0d.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

Link ....

Leuenberger was in career-best form last season and after not missing a game the past two years, said continuity had helped elevate the level of his game.

"I got a bit of rhythm the past few seasons and pre-seasons and I think it's just all started to come together towards the end of last year," he said.

"I want to start this season like I finished last year."

6689007147_c359eeb968.jpg

Link ....

Leuenberger did not train with the main group at Coorparoo yesterday when he was confined to a workout on a stationary bike but said he was a certain starter for Saturday's pipe-opener.

6552455689_1e64929f1b.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

NAB Cup Round 3 vs Carlton

Lions coach Michael Voss is still deciding how to structure his forward line in Brown's absence, but hinted on Tuesday that number one ruck Matthew Leuenberger was a candidate to spend some time there.

6385749239_4544789aef.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

That would be a mistake

Yeah, sorry to put it in this context, but upon reading that I mentally removed Leuey from my supercoach team. While playing forward would be a great string to add to his bow, he hasn't shown a great deal of aptitude for it to date. Having said that, am I smoking hopium to think that maaaaybe with a couple of potentially decent crumbers in there (Green/Zorko/Banfield), having a big unit to at least bring the ball to ground might make the ploy a bit more effective?

Well if you're going to try it out anytime, the NAB Cup is the time to do it.

Unless this is reference to the season proper? Hard to tell without a solid quote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back