Vic Melbourne's Sudanese gangs

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Victorian government and police management have finally been shamed into admitting there's a problems with African gangs.

On 20th December, after eight police were overpowered by a gang of 100 mainly South Sudanese youths who trashed a Werribee Airbnb-rented property, smashing car windscreens and house windows then pelting officers with rocks.

Inspector Marty Allison
This is not about ethnicity, it's not about people's background, it's not about religion, it's about their behaviour, so any conversation that goes on around ethnicity needs to be squashed.​
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/c...se-trashed-police-pelted-20171220-h085uf.html
28th December after a police officer was kicked in the face at Higpoint trying to arrest an African youth for shoplifting.

Superintendent Therese Fitzgerald,
We have problems with youth crime across the state and it’s not a particular group of youths we are looking into. It’s all youths. It’s youth crime,​

Police Inspectors and Superintendents don't make such statements in isolation. It's policy.

However by 29th December, after public criticism of the statements.
Acting chief commissioner Shane Patton
The leaders in the African community readily and openly say they do have issues with a small cohort of African youth who are committing high-end crimes. We acknowledge that, we don’t shy away from that at all. We will target anyone who’s involved in any criminal activity and if that’s African youths, so be it.​
Police Minister Lisa Neville yesterday confirmed African-born young men were overrepresented in crime statistics and were causing “great harm and fear in the community”. “I am not trying to cover this up,” Ms Neville said. “It has been of significant concern to us and to Victoria Police.

Figures from the Crime Statistics Agency show Sudanese and South Sudanese people were 6.135 times more likely to have been arrested last year than offenders born in Australia and 4.8 times more likely than those born in New Zealand. Separate reports have tracked dramatic increases in aggravated burglaries, serious assaults and car thefts committed by Sudanese-born youth between 2014 and 2017.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...m/news-story/ac2321bb5cba7b4f925591eb2b230669

Last edited:

It's only going to get worse.

It's not like all South Sudanese are a problem. I was talking to a copper. He said he goes into the homes to arrest the kids. The parents are good, there's three or four good kids, then one who has gone completely off the rails. They keep picking up the same kids who the court have released on bail or deferred sentences. It's a difficult balance between giving them a second chance and protecting the community - but the situation has become out of control. There are no go zones and some occasions where the police think they've been lured to an ambush.

Sentencing is a concern, such as Akon Mawien, a 19-year-old man born in Sudan. He was given a 12-month deferred sentence after being charged with two counts of armed robbery. He and two other young thugs wore hoodies and balaclavas and raided jewellery stores armed with sledgehammers in Coburg and the city stealing $200,000 worth of jewellery and designer watches. I would think removal of citizenship and deportation would be a more appropriate punishment.

It's not like all South Sudanese are a problem. I was talking to a copper. He said he goes into the homes to arrest the kids. The parents are good, there's three or four good kids, then one who has gone completely off the rails. They keep picking up the same kids who the court have released on bail or deferred sentences. It's a difficult balance between giving them a second chance and protecting the community - but the situation has become out of control. There are no go zones and some occasions where the police think they've been lured to an ambush.

Sentencing is a concern, such as Akon Mawien, a 19-year-old man born in Sudan. He was given a 12-month deferred sentence after being charged with two counts of armed robbery. He and two other young thugs wore hoodies and balaclavas and raided jewellery stores armed with sledgehammers in Coburg and the city stealing $200,000 worth of jewellery and designer watches. I would think removal of citizenship and deportation would be a more appropriate punishment.
Our governments are spineless, they won't deport

I had to laugh when perusing the front page of the Herald Scum yesterday as they lamented about the rise of African youth gangs, and then mentioned one of the gangs by name and mentioned how they it was growing in notoriety

Ah yeah, just like they made the APEX Gang famous?

I can't remember the name of the new gang, but it was the first I had read/heard of it.. Fancy a media outlet sensationilising a potential new youth gang to be scared about...

Meanwhile, on this year's new Underbelly series.....

http://www.policeaccountability.org...derstand-about-the-media-and-crime-reporting/

Worth a read if you haven't decided which side of the fence you sit on this matter.

It is a pretty sh*tty write up to be honest. In trying to make the point of white or Caucasian males being violent the writer examples riots like Schoolies, New years brawls and a fight at an EasterNats - where the writer later goes on to whinge that there was no community leaders called up to comment. It is a pretty pathetic write up really and its hard to take the site seriously after that. Most likely the reason why there was no community leaders asked to comment is because these are once off events - they aren't happening in the community on a daily. The reason African crime is a reason to be worried about is because it is happening on a regular basis, and it is happening on a daily. Community leaders are asked to comment on these issues because community folk are legitimately fearful of these gangs. TV and paper confirm these fears not cause these fears.

Triads from China, Vietnamese drug gangs, Italian dope growers. We've been here before haven't we?

Yes. Mods & Rockers in the 60's, Razor gangs of early 20th century just for starters. Its always been a problem in one form or another.

It needs jumping on, & getting the communities on side to help sort the problem/s out.

I only hope the Conservatives dont just jump up & down screaming for justice & pointing fingers & going blame blame blame. They dont care that this sort of problem isn't new. They just like to point & scream for justice, but actually mean revenge.

These situations point to deep social & personal issues. They need to be worked on too as well as protecting the community. We dont want more disaffection to occur, like with North African youth in Paris. Look how thats gone down. It'd be so easy to make the problem worse with heavy handed tactics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are these No Go zones? Legitimate question as my wife and I are staying in the CBD next month and I haven't been to Melbourne in about 10 years so no idea how safe it is to just walk around at night.

Where are these No Go zones? Legitimate question as my wife and I are staying in the CBD next month and I haven't been to Melbourne in about 10 years so no idea how safe it is to just walk around at night.
Honestly, it's fine. Probably more homeless than were there 10 years ago, but you're extremely unlikely to be attacked by a gang of Sudanese people. Way more likely to run into trouble from a drunken yobbo but, even then, that is extremely unlikely. Worst that will probably happen is you'll be accosted by homeless people if you walk around the southern ends of Swanston and Elizabeth Sts. King St can be dodgy but it's not really a street to visit for any reason unless you feel like taking your wife to a strip club. Only places I'd consider avoiding late at night are the street level rail underpasses at the north side of the river, opposite Crown (i.e. Spencer, King, Queensbridge). Again, you'd still be really unlucky to get done over there. Other river/rail crossings tend to be fine nearly all of the time.

Overall, don't buy into the fear mongering. If anything, it's safer than ever.

Trust you'd be the one to pretend something's a non event as it goes against ypur views when you don't live in Melbourne.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that these phenomena aren't problems, but rather that these problems are being completely misrepresented with respect to their actual size and scope.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that these phenomena aren't problems, but rather that these problems are being completely misrepresented with respect to their actual size and scope.
This problem is pretty bad though. Persons much older than me have told me the issues with the wogs,Viet's were nothing in comparison to this. Nothing is being blown out of proportion.

These aren't "our" problems. These people are recent imports. * off a few of the trouble makers to the shitholes their own cultures made and the rest will fall into line

This problem is pretty bad though. Persons much older than me have told me the issues with the wogs,Viet's were nothing in comparison to this. Nothing is being blown out of proportion.

The viets might have sold you some H but they didnt rampage through the suburbs. If they did they should have been dropped off somewhere north of Hue

Honestly, it's fine. Probably more homeless than were there 10 years ago, but you're extremely unlikely to be attacked by a gang of Sudanese people. Way more likely to run into trouble from a drunken yobbo but, even then, that is extremely unlikely. Worst that will probably happen is you'll be accosted by homeless people if you walk around the southern ends of Swanston and Elizabeth Sts. King St can be dodgy but it's not really a street to visit for any reason unless you feel like taking your wife to a strip club. Only places I'd consider avoiding late at night are the street level rail underpasses at the north side of the river, opposite Crown (i.e. Spencer, King, Queensbridge). Again, you'd still be really unlucky to get done over there. Other river/rail crossings tend to be fine nearly all of the time.

Overall, don't buy into the fear mongering. If anything, it's safer than ever.
We are staying at Docklands... so basically dont walk home from Crown at night.

When was the last time you left your house?

I walk home regularly late at night in London and have not had any reason to fear anything. Stop trying to spread your lies and bigotry.

+1 for central London being alright to walk around in. I've done it many a night drunk off my arse and never had any issues. I'd be skeptical in south London though around Brixton etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back