Memorable moments at Bathurst

Remove this Banner Ad

This video popped up on my You Tube feed this morning, and it got me thinking what are some of my favourite or most memorable moments from the Bathurst 1000.

I've been a Nissan fan since the days of the Bluebird Turbo of the Group C, and despite being "the worst touring car ever" the DR30 Skyline was close to being one of the great Australian Touring cars, Glenn Seton was only 6pts behind Jim Richards heading into the final ATCC race before retiring and both he and John Bowe finished second to Peter Brock at Bathurst. But what most people remember about the DR30 was Seton's Bathurst stint when a short rain burst came across the top of the mountain, for 3 or 4 laps it was some of the entertaining in-car footage seen at the mountain.

Anybody have any other favourite moments?

It's not memorable compared with a lot of other stuff but I was a big Tander fan so one that sticks with me is him taking pole and then absolutely butchering the start in 2008. He was the points leader at the time but it effectively ended his title defence and he never got close again.

I cheered my team home after Richards hit the wall.

I learned the importance of knowing the rules after that.

My heart was in my mouth until I saw the red flags and then I knew Richo and Skaifey had it won. What annoyed me was Johnson knowing the rules full well after 1981 but still carrying on like a pork chop. I wasn't a big fan of his before this race, but I have hated him ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back