2023 Bathurst 12hr

Remove this Banner Ad

Flicked it on a couple of times during the day. Looked like a pretty small and spread out field. Not the most interesting race I've ever seen.

Farrrrk !!!

Farrrrk !!!

Holy crap.

That sort of reminds me a little of the Michael Burgman crash of 1986 (before the Chase was put in) or at least how I pictured the accident happening, where a small error at high-speed leads to his car going airborne and jumping over the first cement wall (which was protected by a tyre barrier) and hitting the second cement wall above it and crushing the front half of his Commodore. Thankfully this one wasn't as serious.

Holy crap.

That sort of reminds me a little of the Michael Burgman crash of 1986 (before the Chase was put in) or at least how I pictured the accident happening, where a small error at high-speed leads to his car going airborne and jumping over the first cement wall (which was protected by a tyre barrier) and hitting the second cement wall above it and crushing the front half of his Commodore. Thankfully this one wasn't as serious.
Dick Johnson watched it in his rearview mirror and revealed exactly how it happened in his book.

Burgmann was side-by-side with Garry Wilmingtons Jag.
Cars would get air at the 2nd ( of 2 ) humps where the chase is now, both cars got airborne at the same time, creating a vacuum effect pulling the cars toward each other, they tapped, the heavier Jag continued on.

Burgmann, in the lighter car tried to correct and it touched down with the front tyres at an angle, didn't even have time to jump on the brakes and the rest is sad history.

I didn’t know there were other drivers around who witnessed the accident, that would stick with you during the race and for decades afterwards.

It definitely explains why the Chase was brought in because those mid 80’s Group A cars were fast but didn’t have the downforce of the earlier Group C cars or Supercars.

I didn’t know there were other drivers around who witnessed the accident, that would stick with you during the race and for decades afterwards.

It definitely explains why the Chase was brought in because those mid 80’s Group A cars were fast but didn’t have the downforce of the earlier Group C cars or Supercars.
Official reason was FIA regs said you couldn't have a straight longer than a certain distance ( Hence the 2 chicanes added to the Mulsanne at Le Mans )

Holy * !!!

Poor form from Ch7 hyping up the hot laps of the F1 car only to cut to adds when it came on.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sheep stations but they were fighting for a win. Can hardly blame the two for giving their all to win at the most famous track in Aus.
There's " giving their all " and then there's driving like dickheads

They hit tyres trying to get to the turn first. Hardly driving like dickheads.
...........righto

eyeroll-the-rock.gif

Anyway.....

I wasn't aware of the detail of the accident either.
The death of Bevan Gibson in Bob Janes Elfin 400 was an indicator of danger of that part of the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back