Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t happen to remember roughly who they had rounding out the top 5 do you?
King
1. Chris Scott
2. Adam Kingsley
3. Michael Voss
4. John Longmire
5. Brad Scott

Montagna
1. Chris Scott
2. Adam Kingsley
3. Brad Scott
4. John Longmire
5. Michael Voss

Hudson's is cut off in my replay.

Last edited:
Coaches voted for the sub. The sooner it is gone the better. 4 on the bench, 5 on the bench whatever, just remove the sub completely.
I think the sub rule is redundant now that you have a rotation cap. The concern with a bigger bench was guys being able to go faster for longer and hence increasing congestion around the ball (the idea is always to open the game up) and bigger collisions etc etc.

The sub rule was to ensure that teams would pull guys off the ground in cases of high contact to conduct HIA. I think you go back to that aim but maybe expand it.

Potentially keep 4 on the bench and make the Sub a player than can only replace a player that is off the ground for HIA. If that player has to go off under HIA then the sub may remain on the field. Teams can't abuse this process as all concussions now have to miss the following week, so you couldn't use it as an extra player.

Totally fine with Scott discussing it.. but I saw Port win a game with 1 guy left on the bench and I've seen examples of that for decades. They made the call to sub Jones, they could have left it with a rotation and waited and then subbed another player and played with 3 on the bench. That was their call.

Personally I would scrap the Sub rule and just play with 4 on the bench. Sometimes bad luck is bad luck.

I think the sub rule is redundant now that you have a rotation cap. The concern with a bigger bench was guys being able to go faster for longer and hence increasing congestion around the ball (the idea is always to open the game up) and bigger collisions etc etc.

The sub rule was to ensure that teams would pull guys off the ground in cases of high contact to conduct HIA. I think you go back to that aim but maybe expand it.

Potentially keep 4 on the bench and make the Sub a player than can only replace a player that is off the ground for HIA. If that player has to go off under HIA then the sub may remain on the field. Teams can't abuse this process as all concussions now have to miss the following week, so you couldn't use it as an extra player.

Totally fine with Scott discussing it.. but I saw Port win a game with 1 guy left on the bench and I've seen examples of that for decades. They made the call to sub Jones, they could have left it with a rotation and waited and then subbed another player and played with 3 on the bench. That was their call.

Personally I would scrap the Sub rule and just play with 4 on the bench. Sometimes bad luck is bad luck.

From the moment they changed it to not just be for concussion injuries it was always dumb.

Either make it just for concussion related stuff to ensure teams actually pull a player out of the game, or just make it an extended bench.

Making a sub, then having another player immediately cop an injury whilst having a fully fit player sitting there that was a 'tactical' sub is just silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s just semi-educated guess work isn’t it?
Interesting as it basically reflects top of table / teams predicted to go deep in finals.

Except for our Brad… he’s the only one with some sort of team improvement type of angle.

He even got a Kingie stamp of approval. Which was not expected…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back