Metallica - 72 Seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

only heard the four singles, but its a nope from me and first Metallica album I wont be buying.
Boring, uninspired, my first solo solo's....James sounds good though.
But the songs are the epitome of Meh.

I will listen on the weekend. I didn't like the first single but I heard parts of the others it seemed ok.

Early reviews I've read seem to be fairly positive.

The last track Inamorata is pretty epic and has some nice guitar melodies

Overall I wish the guitar tone was a thicker and fuller like on the earlier albums but there are some good moments on here.

Yeah best tune. There's just not a whole lot of different stuff, it's basically just riffs and Hetfield, which is ok, would really like some diversity. Anyway need a few more listens to properly digest, just finished my first listen.

Yeah best tune. There's just not a whole lot of different stuff, it's basically just riffs and Hetfield, which is ok, would really like some diversity. Anyway need a few more listens to properly digest, just finished my first listen.

I think that's probably the biggest gripe most people have with modern Metallica, though I think after my first listen of 72 it has definitely branched out a bit from where DM and HW were. You Must Burn and Crown of Barbed Wire are definitely giving me Load/Reload era vibes which for me is a welcome theme.

I think that's probably the biggest gripe most people have with modern Metallica, though I think after my first listen of 72 it has definitely branched out a bit from where DM and HW were. You Must Burn and Crown of Barbed Wire are definitely giving me Load/Reload era vibes which for me is a welcome theme.

Yeah I can see the Reload/Load vibes too, they seem to have done some vocal effects and harmonies etc which remind me of that. I always fly off the handle with a Metallica album, of course need a few more goes to really form an opinion.

I was able to do the 72 Seasons Global Cinematic Premiere Last night and enjoyed it.

The songs are identifiably Metallica. I enjoyed it for what it was, but for me, Inamorata is my favourite song on the album.

You Must Burn!, Crown of Barbed Wire and Sleepwalk My Life Away are next best in my opinion.

I was fortunate enough to avoid hearing ANYTHING from the album until last night.

There is a difference in this album as the band admitted there were no ballads at all.

Spewin I forgot about it.

Was it cool? What exactly do they show?

It was all black and white. They spent 30 minutes introducing the concept of the album and how they settled on 72 seasons as the name.

They then began to introduce each song describing the inspirations behind it and how they created it and what to expect from it.

All videos had a music video, but most contained a lot of faded smoke effects and essentially a 3d version of windows media player visualisations. So I was disappointed in that respect.

The special anmlnounements were the M72 world tour in 2023/24.

They also announced that they will be live streaming their concerts in Arlington, Texas on the 19th and 21st of August (our time) in cinemas worldwide so that people can experience the album as an actual live concert stage show. They also stated that no songs would be repeated across both shows

I'm definitely interested in that and will look forward to purchasing tickets for that when they go on special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds ripper.

Hopefully they'll be down under soon enough... and if they bring the two night concept to Aust, I'll be definitely ponying up for both nights!

Absolutely. After seeing Foo Fighters last year, Metallica are pretty much the only touring band left on my music bucket list, so if they were to come out here, I'd definitely be wanting to go.

Unpopular opinion incoming:
One thing I dont like,is the lyrics are just naff.
I prefer angry Hetfield with something to say and prove.
But he is not 22 anymore.
He is now a rich troubled rock star getting all in his therapy and going all Taylor Swift on the lyrics.
Which is of course his right.
Will always love him, but I cant stand a second of this album.
its all babys first riff stuff repeated far too many times and those GOD DAMN snare fills Lars persists with.
Really enjoyed alot of tracks from Hardwired, loved Death Magnetic, this is just phoning it in.
But its Metallica, so it'll do for many.
ANY other band known or otherwise released stuff like this, you would never hear of it and it would sink into oblivion immediately.

havnt listened yet will get around to it, just wondering what everyones gripe will be about it ?
  • its not the metallica i know
  • its not as goods as x album
  • too much snare
  • not enough bass / guitar solo's
  • James sound different
  • they sold out after justice...

That sounds ripper.

Hopefully they'll be down under soon enough... and if they bring the two night concept to Aust, I'll be definitely ponying up for both nights!

most def.. posted this somewhere else but i am in a position now where can splash out on luxuries so will pony up the $$$ to get the "X" experience to be in snake pit or front few rows. even if its just one night and get a standard seat for other night.

havnt listened yet will get around to it, just wondering what everyones gripe will be about it ?
  • too much snare
  • James sound different

Haven't listened to it yet either, but I'm already prepping Option F, "they sold out after justice."

• too much snare
  • James sound different
Its as simple as this.
Its.just.not.very.good.
Bland, repetitive, endless riff salad, naff lyrics.

Good new music that DESTROYS it? New Extreme.

Yeah I wonder if I'm judging the 'newness' of it.. like, how did I feel about The Outlaw Torn when it was released?

The reality is I don't think any of these songs are likely to make it to my 'Metallica - Elite tracks' playlist, which of course is curated by my own tastes.

Having said that, from HW there was several tracks, HW, Atlas, Halo... on DM it was All Nightmare Long, Unforgiven 3, Suicide & Redemption.

Can't say I'm currently thinking that one of these songs is going to have the same effect, possibly Inamorata.. but even that to me feels like it kinda missed the mark at this point.

I didn't like the first few songs they released at all. Lux Aeterna Was okay but I'm not a fan of Screaming Suicide or If Darkness Had a Son.
But I've had this album on repeat all week and I prefer it over Hardwired and Death Magnetic.

Favourite tracks are Too Far Gone, Chasing Light and You Must Burn.

James carries this album which is no suprise, I think his vocals are utilised better than anything they've made in a long time. Some songs definitely give off Load/Reload vibes.

Mixing is kind of bland like their last few albums but all in all I've found it to be an enjoyable listen. Anyone expecting another Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets has rocks in their heads.

7/10.

Seeing them twice next week in Amsterdam, can't wait.

I didn't like the first few songs they released at all. Lux Aeterna Was okay but I'm not a fan of Screaming Suicide or If Darkness Had a Son.
But I've had this album on repeat all week and I prefer it over Hardwired and Death Magnetic.

Favourite tracks are Too Far Gone, Chasing Light and You Must Burn.

James carries this album which is no suprise, I think his vocals are utilised better than anything they've made in a long time. Some songs definitely give off Load/Reload vibes.

Mixing is kind of bland like their last few albums but all in all I've found it to be an enjoyable listen. Anyone expecting another Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets has rocks in their heads.

7/10.

Seeing them twice next week in Amsterdam, can't wait.

Yeah agreed on Hetfields vocals, great effort by him. And enjoy Amsterdam, will be awesome no doubt!

The album is growing on me, it’s a decent listen. I’m interested to see if I still go back to it in a year, I haven’t with St Anger, DM and Hardwired really, I still go back to Load/Reload

Remove this Banner Ad

Back