Michael Clarke announces his retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really a 'quote taken out of context' when the media organisation has basically published an entire press conference of questions put, and answers received?

Interested to know why you think that, thorne.

Knowing Michael Clarke, and how tetchy he has been with the media lately, and then reading that article certainly doesn't lead me to conclude, 'Oh, that's definitely not the Clarke I know'...

Anyone have more details on these:
  • Pat Cummins' remark that the rest of the team had one foot on the bus in their haste to get back to London
  • to Nathan Lyon's public unhappiness about being overlooked for the ODI squad.

Is it really a 'quote taken out of context' when the media organisation has basically published an entire press conference of questions put, and answers received?

Knowing Michael Clarke, and how tetchy he has been with the media lately, and then reading that article certainly doesn't lead me to conclude, 'Oh, that's definitely not the Clarke I know'...

• Pat Cummins' remark that the rest of the team had one foot on the bus in their haste to get back to London

Well, that wasn't very nice for him as he's not had much chance to play this tour but it's hardly surprising that they didn't want to stick around.

Statements along the lines of "I can't wait to retire" and "this match will probably last 2-3 days" aren't really great comments to make before the test starts.

If he can't wait to retire, why didn't he just pull the pin after the last Test? That's right, he wants the attention of a farewell Test, cause it's all about him not the team, what a self centred flog!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can't wait to retire, why didn't he just pull the pin after the last Test? That's right, he wants the attention of a farewell Test, cause it's all about him not the team, what a self centred flog!
I'd say Clarke has earned a farewell test if he wants one, wouldn't you?

I just read his 'can't wait' quote as a bit of relief that he can escape the high pressurised job and situation. Fair enough, he probably should have worded it differently, but I don't see why he should be hounded for being a bit jaded.

I just read his 'can't wait' quote as a bit of relief that he can escape the high pressurised job and situation. Fair enough, he probably should have worded it differently, but I don't see why he should be hounded for being a bit jaded.
He will be hounded for everything he does. The treatment from former players and the Australian public he has received since his retirement has been pathetic.

Nope. Each Test match is significant, it's not like AFL where 300 game careers are relatively common. I think it would serve a good purpose to give the captaincy to Smith now, get a dead rubber test under his belt for more experience and put someone in who may actually be batting in our next Test series.

Nope. Each Test match is significant, it's not like AFL where 300 game careers are relatively common. I think it would serve a good purpose to give the captaincy to Smith now, get a dead rubber test under his belt for more experience and put someone in who may actually be batting in our next Test series.
So we'd be better off playing Shaun Marsh or rush in someone like Glenn Maxwell instead of giving one of our best players for the past decade a final match? That's pretty vindictive and lame.

He will be hounded for everything he does. The treatment from former players and the Australian public he has received since his retirement has been pathetic.
It must also say something about the man himself.

Anyways, dead rubber, this has to be the least significant Test in a while. Smith can ease himself in against Bangladesh.

It must also say something about the man himself.

Anyways, dead rubber, this has to be the least significant Test in a while. Smith can ease himself in against Bangladesh.

It says more about the people of Australia and the former players.

It says more about the people of Australia and the former players.
I disagree. Very few people have come out and ouright potted him. He has just been damned by faint praise and a general silence. Given how many people would have been approached for comment, that speaks volumes.

You can't force people to praise him. Mostly, people have been circumspect, leaving the public to draw their own conclusions.

He's earned a farewell Test but not with an attitude like this that suggests he's taking the piss. Unfair to the other 10 blokes.

samyouidiotjbzcc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back