Review Mid-Season Report - The Good, The Bad, and The Rest of It

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
No preview this week, so I thought we might focus on the season to date.

The Good :innocent:

- The victory against Adelaide in Round 11 tops this category hands down. :clapping:

The win restored pride and belief in the club, and will be a handy reference point when things get tough again, as they will.

- Ryan Griffen's form. His performance against the Crows showed why we so were happy for him to join us. Let's hope he stays injury free for the rest of the season. :thumbsu:

- The return of Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy. Been too long for both of you, and you'll provide some much needed depth. :thumbsu:

- Josh Kelly's recovery from a groin injury. He's all class. Just don't overdo it at training. :praying:

The Bad :devil:

- The injury list, which we seem to replenish on a regular basis. :angry:

In particular, losing:
  1. Zac Williams to an Achilles rupture
  2. Tom Scully to a broken ankle
  3. Toby to a mysterious foot injury
Williams and Scully are on the mend, but what about Toby? Some foot injuries are hard to diagnose and take ages to heal.

- The draw with St. Kilda in Round 5. That may prove to be very costly at season's end.

- The lack-lustre win against Brisbane in Round 6. A harbinger of what was to come in the next few weeks...

The Rest of It :sick:

- Our putrid efforts between Rounds 7-10. At times it looked like we didn't give a :poo:. Please, never again!

The Verdict :hammer:

A return of 6 wins, 5 losses and a draw.

:think:

Grade: C+ (or B- if I'm being generous)

Given our run home, we will need to play very well (especially away) to make finals

Being hard-nosed about it, the draw to St. Kilda and the loss to Essendon will probably cost us a finals berth.

There are ten games left. Assuming 12 wins are needed, we'd have to win all five remaining home games and at least one away game to scrape over the line. The home games are Hawthorn, Richmond, St. Kilda and Sydney at Spotless, Adelaide at Manuka. The away games are Brisbane, West Coast, Port, Carlton and Melbourne.

Again, being hard-nosed, which of these games would you pencil in? Brisbane at the Gabba? St. Kilda and maybe Hawthorn at Spotless? Carlton at Etihad? There just aren't that many.

Whatever happens, the Richmond and Sydney games at Spotless will be massive.

Ive done the math and think we need to win seven of the last ten. 13 wins will be needed to play finals. No room for slip ups.

Good. Jezza, back to being the focal point like under Sheedy and is tearing it up, even carrying niggles. Superstar and looks hungry to prove something.

Bad. Lids, was showing what he can do and has hit the wall again. Hope for a fairytale finish but coming from a long way back now.

Ugly. Toby, WTF is going on? Will be a massive asset if he gets right.

On form I think we are still a top 4 side, will have to go the long way this year which means winning in Melb. Tough but on best form still possible. The good thing will be less external pressure.

Sucks when players like Greene are out because he is the flashy player that brings in crowds and is a good reason our scores suck more than usual this year. Will be interesting if Scully comes back with the same gas tank too given he couldn't have been running for a long time.

I think its time the club came clean on Toby. What has he done and how did it come to be what has been a four month recovery. Stuff this ducks and drakes crap. Let the fans and members know what is going on with what was a major signing at the beginning of the season.

I think its time the club came clean on Toby. What has he done and how did it come to be what has been a four month recovery. Stuff this ducks and drakes crap. Let the fans and members know what is going on with what was a major signing at the beginning of the season.

They did, didn't they? They announced it as a hot spot, which can keep players out for two to three months otherwise they're at risk of stress fractures and missing a full season. Did I miss something where this was hidden, other than the "he might be back, he's not back" uncertainty over when exactly he'll return (i.e. when the hot spot has faded)?

They did, didn't they? They announced it as a hot spot, which can keep players out for two to three months otherwise they're at risk of stress fractures and missing a full season. Did I miss something where this was hidden, other than the "he might be back, he's not back" uncertainty over when exactly he'll return (i.e. when the hot spot has faded)?
I’m with you on this

I don’t think the club has been shady on this at all

Already did mate.
He was fooling around in a hotel with mates. Happens to the best of us.

Theyve been saying it's a hotspot for months.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Happy to stand corected but im not convinced. I cannot explain to anyone what a hotsot is. and if it is a bad as it seems why did we play him one game when he clearly wasnt right.
Please explain

Happy to stand corected but im not convinced. I cannot explain to anyone what a hotsot is. and if it is a bad as it seems why did we play him one game when he clearly wasnt right.
Please explain

From what I recall the events went basically like:
  1. Toby screwed his toe mucking around in preseason.
  2. Toby comes back, obviously a bit underdone since missing his preseason.
  3. Toby pulled up sore (non-toe) during the week before his withdrawal, went in for scans and found the hot spot.
I would've thought the explanation I've posted a number of times would satisfy most if you find yourself having to explain to so many people what it is - it's basically the predecessor to stress fractures. It's an overuse injury and basically means rest until the hot spot goes away. It's not like hot spots are particularly rare in the AFL - http://lmfgtfy.com/?q=afl+"hotspot"+injury+-greene.

Please explain

Hot spots normally occur before stress fractures. What is wrong with this whole thing is a broken little toe in October has lead to this. There is a rehab problem here and maybe at the time nobody thought it was a big deal because it was off season, but to me it's pretty likely the original injury has caused the hot spot because he changed the way he has walked/ran due to the toe. Now if it happened during the season he would probably be in a moon boot, but those things can get in the way a fair bit if one was wanting to be out and about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are ten games left. The away games are Brisbane, West Coast, Port, Carlton and Melbourne.

On their day when it all clicks, all 5 of those away games are winnable.
3 out of 5 wins probably a minimum requirement.
Furthermore, if they plan to play deep in September, they absolutely have to beat Mel @ MCG, making it 2 'G wins this year, loosing the 'G hoodooo, to then go on and win finals down there.

if we can snag 3 or 4 wins in the next 5-6 weeks and have Tobes & others maybe coming back (and in form), we could get on a roll.

but for the time being, rest up and lets get 4 points against Brisbane, One game at a time.

and if you get injured... Walk it off :p

if we can snag 3 or 4 wins in the next 5-6 weeks and have Tobes & others maybe coming back (and in form), we could get on a roll.

but for the time being, rest up and lets get 4 points against Brisbane, One game at a time.

and if you get injured... Walk it off :p
This^^^^^^^.
We have passed the shocking part and now the bye just helps us through the hump and out the other side.
Fresh coming into team all the way home and games into bottom six has been excellent.

The good
TOJ, Taranto,
Membership
Some significant milestones Cogs for 100 games and Ward for 200
Buntine and Kennedy comebacks
Contracts signed for the year
Dave Mathews
Win over the Crows
The bad
Injuries
Spotless crowds
4 losses in a row