mighty 70's magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

wynnie

Draftee
May 12, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a pommie growing up in Melbourne (I was born in 1958 and my parents emigrated in 1961) I was enormously lucky to witness first hand the greatest period and team in my life. Len Thompson, Barry Price, my idol Peter Mckenna and the god-like genius that was John Greening! I was there the day O'dea robbed us of the greatest natural talent I have ever seen and will never forgive him. I don't know who broke my heart more- O'dea or Jezza!

If only the blues didn't exist, then it would have been a really memorable decade for you.

GO BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only the blues didn't exist, then it would have been a really memorable decade for you.

How is the most disgraceful decade of your Club feeling loser? The funniest thing is there isn't even a light on the horizon, what a waste Gibbs will be learning his trade from tools like Fev and Whitnall.

The more we kick them down, the more bitter they get!

Back on topic, was born in 67 so don't remember much of the 70's apart from the end with the likes of McKenna and Dunne and all the players who started their carrers in the 70's like Ronny Wearmouth, Billy Picken, Stan Magro, Craig David and, of course, Daics.

As a pommie growing up in Melbourne (I was born in 1958 and my parents emigrated in 1961) I was enormously lucky to witness first hand the greatest period and team in my life. Len Thompson, Barry Price, my idol Peter Mckenna and the god-like genius that was John Greening! I was there the day O'dea robbed us of the greatest natural talent I have ever seen and will never forgive him. I don't know who broke my heart more- O'dea or Jezza!

Wynnie

You have driven me to make my first post in Big Footy. Also born in 1958 (now what else was good about that year?) emigrated with family from Scotland in 1965. Can relate to all of those players and yes I was there when Greening was knocked out. He was the greatest - people just dont realise how good. They tell me he is going to be honoured at a home game in July. Definitely gonna be there!

The more we kick them down, the more bitter they get!

Back on topic, was born in 67 so don't remember much of the 70's apart from the end with the likes of McKenna and Dunne and all the players who started their carrers in the 70's like Ronny Wearmouth, Billy Picken, Stan Magro, Craig David and, of course, Daics.
Yeah born in nov 67 myself. Shti 77 grnad final, replay, 80 all the grand finals i tell you its screwed with my head today. I swear i was tortured being a pies supporter in those years and only 10 12 years old. Then there was the late 80s out at Vic park every week, i think we lost about 20 games in a row we were bloody terrible it rained we were standing on the hill behind the goals. Beer was hot the pies were cold (meat pies that is) Then after the game into the rooms and then off to a pub in Fitzroy street were they sold all the beers from round the world and we all got smashed. Then off to the tunnel night club with a few players till morning. Just a side note Hafey was a ledgend back then but he simply ran the players into the ground with drills and training they were stuffed every time they got to the finals. The Carlton Collingwood games at Vic park were the best. Gates uasually shut at 11am as the crowed was packed i think about 35 thousand. Sorry to crap on but the memorys come flooding back. As my user name suggest Black @ White Blood The pies are my life.

What an era. The excitment of going to Vic. Park and seeing the Richardson brothers, Thommo, Tuddy, Pricey and of course Peter McKenna (had no. 6 on my jumper - who didn't!).

As the decade went on more champions came such as Picken, Peter Moore, Ray Shaw, Craig 'Boofa' Davis. It is unfortunate that they were unable to pull the big one off as they really did dominate many of the home & away seasons. Oh well, we all got plenty of excitment and entertainment from the greatest club on earth.:thumbsu:

Yeah born in nov 67 myself. Shti 77 grnad final, replay, 80 all the grand finals i tell you its screwed with my head today. I swear i was tortured being a pies supporter in those years and only 10 12 years old. Then there was the late 80s out at Vic park every week, i think we lost about 20 games in a row we were bloody terrible it rained we were standing on the hill behind the goals. Beer was hot the pies were cold (meat pies that is) Then after the game into the rooms and then off to a pub in Fitzroy street were they sold all the beers from round the world and we all got smashed. Then off to the tunnel night club with a few players till morning. Just a side note Hafey was a ledgend back then but he simply ran the players into the ground with drills and training they were stuffed every time they got to the finals. The Carlton Collingwood games at Vic park were the best. Gates uasually shut at 11am as the crowed was packed i think about 35 thousand. Sorry to crap on but the memorys come flooding back. As my user name suggest Black @ White Blood The pies are my life.
Great call. Except for the Tunnel nightclub, I'm there with you :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back