Mike Sheahan's bollocks...

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC
For two consecutive weeks, he's stated that there's no difference between Richmond and Brisbane as a team because they've won the same number of games.

Never mind the fact that we're 7-10, yet still have a positive percentage (Brisbane's is 88%). Never mind that we've statistically dominated almost every opponent this year. And never mind that we've had a tougher draw, convincingly claimed some big scalps and thrown away several wins through immaturity.

Seriously, if a bloke who's been a football writer/commenter for about 200 years can't see any difference/complexities and bases his opinion solely on premiership points attained, why do we even bother listening to these experts?

Yeah and to make it worse, he gave himself a pat on the back about mentioning it last week, as if somehow the weekends result justified his comments?

The article "Painful Progress"on the RFC website (http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/143053/default.aspx) that talks about losing and winning margins would be a better way for a respected journo to discuss it, but hey, he's effectivly retired now so I guess you cant expect to much from the old campaigner!

Look I can understand what you are saying and I agree with you.. But in the end the win/loss columns are what we are ultimately judged on and all media/journalists are paid to be subjective..

yea it was a very naive view of the two teams. clearly he didn't look further than the win loss column or even bother to analyse both teams seasons or delve deeper into the stats. poor form from a journo :rolleyes:

however yes our season has netted the same amount of wins that is they only thing we have in common with them.

Look I can understand what you are saying and I agree with you.. But in the end the win/loss columns are what we are ultimately judged on and all media/journalists are paid to be subjective..
Disagree. Journos are paid to be informative and bring us the truth. Sheehan, in this case, has done neither.

Disagree. Journos are paid to be informative and bring us the truth. Sheehan, in this case, has done neither.
Yeah and thats what we get..:rolleyes: Please tug its a nice ideal but it doesnt happen 95% of the time. You know that..

If Brisbane beat us this week and go ahead of us on the ladder, we aren't left with much of an argument. If the roles were reversed, and we read this on the Bris board, we'd laugh at them.

The fact is, it just doesn't mean much. Who cares if Brisbane are ahead of us at some moment in time. It's where we are headed that matters. For starters, we're not about to lose a J Brown and a S Black ;)

For two consecutive weeks, he's stated that there's no difference between Richmond and Brisbane as a team because they've won the same number of games.

Never mind the fact that we're 7-10, yet still have a positive percentage (Brisbane's is 88%). Never mind that we've statistically dominated almost every opponent this year. And never mind that we've had a tougher draw, convincingly claimed some big scalps and thrown away several wins through immaturity.

Seriously, if a bloke who's been a football writer/commenter for about 200 years can't see any difference/complexities and bases his opinion solely on premiership points attained, why do we even bother listening to these experts?

He is just priming the situation and punting on the Lions beating us and then everyone thinks he is a genious.
The only ones that will remember this will be us, if we beat the Lions. If they beat us, then he will make it known to the greater public that "he tipped this".
Its a punt by him that wont matter if it doesnt pay off...thats the way these "experts" operate..

If Brisbane beat us this week and go ahead of us on the ladder, we aren't left with much of an argument. If the roles were reversed, and we read this on the Bris board, we'd laugh at them.

The fact is, it just doesn't mean much. Who cares if Brisbane are ahead of us at some moment in time. It's where we are headed that matters. For starters, we're not about to lose a J Brown and a S Black ;)

But that's the whole point. Even if we were to lose this week, we're still heading in vastly different directions. I actually think Brisbane will take the brunt of a pretty fired up team on Sat.

He is just priming the situation and punting on the Lions beating us and then everyone thinks he is a genious.
The only ones that will remember this will be us, if we beat the Lions. If they beat us, then he will make it known to the greater public that "he tipped this".
Its a punt by him that wont matter if it doesnt pay off...thats the way these "experts" operate..

Bang on hes no fool, hes an experienced journo and hes well aware that we have been better than brisbane this year, hes stirring the pot.

Correct, and we look at Carltank in a less favorable light than their supporters do, and we look at the Bombers, North, Dogs etc less favorable than their supporters do.

I dont follow the Lions at all and would have no idea about their internal kpi`s and structures, young talent, in depth understanding of the win/loss column, and i doubt to many journos would either. They would have a very good basic all round knowledge of every club, so that where you are correct that all media/journalists are paid to be subjective but on a basic level.

At the end of the day we have blown in a big and embarrassing way the last three games, and been pathetic against GWS and Freo, so you cant blame any journo even Sheehan for the comparison.

And if we lose to the Lions on Saturday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, and we look at Carltank in a less favorable light than their supporters do, and we look at the Bombers, North, Dogs etc less favorable than their supporters do.

I dont follow the Lions at all and would have no idea about their internal kpi`s and structures, young talent, in depth understanding of the win/loss column, and i doubt to many journos would either. They would have a very good basic all round knowledge of every club, so that where you are correct that all media/journalists are paid to be subjective.

At the end of the day we have blown in a big and embarrassing way the last three games, and been pathetic against GWS and Freo, so you cant blame any journo even Sheehan for the comparison.

And if we lose to the Lions on Saturday?
I will be there on Saturday being a QLD resident.. We match up well against them and wouldnt be surprised if we pump them with no pressure on us.. Then they can go down the 'mentally week under real pressure' angle.. Media is media, thats what they do

I will be there on Saturday being a QLD resident.. We match up well against them and wouldnt be surprised if we pump them with no pressure on us.. Then they can go down the 'mentally week under real pressure' angle.. Media is media, thats what they do
If we win, send Mike a post card via Fox Footy.

The guy is clueless about footy in general so it doesnt matter what he says.
I wouldn't say he's clueless about footy!
Who cares anyway. There's only one way to prove otherwise and we haven't.

I did love the look on Sheahan's face when Roos told him The Dees are an irrelevant club.

I guess the only way to prove him incorrect (to be polite). Is to get the runs on the board which I think are not to far away.

I reckon that if On the Couch is holding itself out to be a serious analysis show then an expert quoting win-loss is not adding anything at all. That sort of depth should be left to the footy show.
As much as it pains me, Roos analysis of the worst 50 seconds of footy against the GC was actually quite illuminating and added plenty of value to a Tiger trying to work out what went wrong.

Rohan Connolly actually wrote two very good articles on the matter of our close losses. Mike would do well to have a read.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/just-give-tigers-a-little-more-time-20120729-236gl.html

YOU HAD only to see coach Damien Hardwick with his head in his hands a good couple of minutes after the siren at the MCG on Saturday night to know how shattering yet another narrow loss was for Richmond.
Thirteen points up on Carlton with a tick over seven minutes to play, and with the conditions making scoring difficult, the Tigers should have had it done and dusted. But a skill error here, a poor decision there and the nightmare was played out again.

IF YOU ever need a tangible example of how fine a line there is between success and perceived failure in modern football, Richmond in 2012 has provided it.
The Tigers still have a minor chance of making this year's finals, though a loss to Carlton tonight at the MCG will all but kill those hopes. And the biggest task then for their massive supporter base would be to refrain from the temptation to dwell on an obvious question. What if?

Richmond's heaviest loss all year came in the season opener against the Blues by 44 points. It has lost another eight since. But none by more than 21 points, the last two heartbreaking defeats to Gold Coast and North Melbourne by a total of just six. And in those two defeats, plus the previous one at the hands of Adelaide, it led at three-quarter-time.

Gaaahhhhhhhh!

Roos is a ****ing campaigner who adds nothing to any ****ing discussion other than analysis of his beloved Swans. He delights in pointing out the ****ing obvious and couching it in terms like "well, I take no pleasure in pointing this out ...".

Bullshit you ****ing campaigner.

Last nights show he followed up the "worst 50 seconds in football history" (Are you serious you prick? You played for ****ing Fitzroy!) with an analysis of what went wrong in the last minute of Saturdays game:
  • Rance making a mistake ... my god, a young defender has never made a mistake in history before
  • A. Maric not picking up his man ... a discard who was drafted as a small forward and will probably be delisted ASAP, only playing because we lack depth ****ing up at the clinch in th back line. You're a ****ing genius Roosey!
  • 4 Players not getting back to the goal line ... in the last 60 seconds of the game after sprinting the other way anticipating that the ball would be going forward.
Yet what positive did you have to say after we beat Hawthorn and St Kilda - thats right, ****ing nothing.
/rant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back