Delisted Mitchell Golby (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

He was moved into the midfield in the third quarter and certainly held his own there.
Spotted him in at least a couple of centre bounces. Thought it was interesting.

Another really strong game from Mitch. Racked up plenty of disposals (27) against Melbourne and provided great run and carry. I was also impressed with his defensive game and his physical work off the ball. The only thing I did notice was that after a great first half, he did seem to tire a little in the second. If Mitch can work on his fitness and increase his stamina, he is really shaping as a strong candidate for a regular midfield spot down the track. Well done!

What do we think of Golby now? Another great game from Mitch.
22 disposals, 77.3% Efficiency, 4 inside 50's and 2 goals from 2 shots on goal.

Only Moloney, Hanley and Rockliff have had more of the ball this year. Golby is slowly but surely going about the business and the "knockers" have started to go very quiet. Golby is going to develop into an excellent midfielder and he has certainly shown some of our more lauded players the way.

Well done Mitch Golby!

What do we think of Golby now? Another great game from Mitch.
22 disposals, 77.3% Efficiency, 4 inside 50's and 2 goals from 2 shots on goal.

Only Moloney, Hanley and Rockliff have had more of the ball this year. Golby is slowly but surely going about the business and the "knockers" have started to go very quiet. Golby is going to develop into an excellent midfielder and he has certainly shown some of our more lauded players the way.

Well done Mitch Golby!
I personally have never doubted him and I think he has copped some unfair criticism this year. Down on early 2012 form? Yes. Has he been woeful? No. He played his best game for the year yesterday and it reminded me of his 2012 form. Go Golby:thumbsu:

Another great game Mitch good to see you have'nt forgotten where the goals are after being down back for a couple off years as a jnr playing onball rarely missed hopefuly get more of a crack onball or wing which is more your natural position could develop into one of the better utility players.
Very biased supporter.

He likes playing against West Coast. He had a blinder playing in the 'Polkinghorne' game last year, and funnily enough he played up the ground a lot then too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A futre centre line of Golby, Rich & Hanley means that we would tick the boxes for speed and footskills for the next half a decade, should spend the rest of the year as midfielder for me -the versatality to also rest as a HBF is obvisouly a very big plus.

A futre centre line of Golby, Rich & Hanley means that we would tick the boxes for speed and footskills for the next half a decade, should spend the rest of the year as midfielder for me -the versatality to also rest as a HBF is obvisouly a very big plus.

Agreed. His run into attack would be a huge addition to our side.
Will be a better player as a midfielder. Provides lots of dash down back, but often gets lost in traffic and isn't the best defensively.

He could be a 150-200 game player for us.

Agreed. His run into attack would be a huge addition to our side. Will be a better player as a midfielder. Provides lots of dash down back, but often gets lost in traffic and isn't the best defensively.

He could be a 150-200 game player for us.

Two great posts. On current form and factoring in continued development in terms of endurance, strength and skills, Golby is the real "find" of this year. People should remember that Mitch has only played 28 games, yet already he is showing a real capacity to get his hands on the ball and the confidence to back himself in. Loved his two goals against West Coast.

Golby ends goal drought
May 16, 2013
Sam Lord

It might have taken him 28 matches, but Mitch Golby finally hit the scoreboard last Saturday against West Coast with his first ever goal in senior AFL football. He must have enjoyed the experience too, because he followed it soon after with a second.

Before the game, Mitch Golby had the dubious honour of being the most experienced player among the current Lions group to have never kicked a goal. And his teammates certainly let him know about it.

In his defence, Golby hasn’t had a lot of opportunities in front of goal considering he’s played the majority of his young career in defence.

The Kilcunda-Bass product said he is still learning the ropes in his role as an attacking defender. “It can be tough at times depending on who you’re playing on,” Golby said. “Some guys push high up the field so it’s a bit easier to get on the counter-attack, while others blokes stay more at home.”

Golby_Training-article.jpg

As an aside, Matt Maguire actually holds the dubious honour in the merged club's history (97-13) of having played the most games without kicking a goal (46 games), followed by Danny Dickfos (43).

Couldn't agree more.

Going off his under 18's form and the output from the weekend when he was running with Gaff, it seems that he has the potential to run a tag in the midfield and be able to run the other way too. He would, in my opinion be an upgrade on Raines; he has speed, strength, skills and a good footy brain. Either way, I like him in the midfield.

GOLBY WAS A TACKLING MACHINE TODAY!

Ten tackles today and in the second quarter in particular his aggression and endeavour were inspirational. Golby showed today that his defensive game is well up to the elite level. Also, while there is no stat for this, he did some amazing running today to present as an option. On a number of occasions I tracked him sprinting 50 -60 metres to try and open Essendon up.

Brisbane Lions defence takes another hit with Mitch Golby set to miss clash against Carlton
May 24, 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE is set to lose its third first-choice defender for tomorrow night's clash against Carlton at the Gabba after half-back flanker Mitch Golby failed to train today.

The Lions will already be without key backmen Daniel Merrett and Justin Clarke through suspension and the ever-improving Golby appears almost certain to join them on the sidelines.

All three Brisbane emergencies - Sam Docherty, Patrick Karnezis and Todd Banfield - trained at the Gabba today but Docherty is the obvious replacement for Golby as the running defender.

The late team change will come as no surprise to Carlton as Blues assistant coach Brad Green was in the grandstands watching the open training session.

Lions vice-captain Tom Rockliff accidentally confirmed the late change when asked before training what debutant Sam Michael will bring to the Brisbane line-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back