Moneyball

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Gday all,

Similar to the AFL fantasy punt, theres a new site called moneyball which offers AFL fantasy team punting.
They offer all sorts of options. you can do a head to head, a competition with 5 players, 10 players, 100 players.

Each entry is anywhere from $2 to $100, depending which comp you're after.

They have AFL and NRL and do full rounds, as well as single games and 'day specials' (like all the saturday games).

Seems like a bit of fun. Ive entered a team for tonights game.
I'm not advertising the site, got nothing to do with it, just wondering if anyone else is on it and playing?

www.moneyball.com.au

Can you see what your opponents team looks like before you pick yours? Does your captain get double points?

Has massive potential.

Myself and a couple mates have joined. It still needs some marketing, the prize pools are so low. I think they can make it big like draft kings and the like.

Myself and a couple mates have joined. It still needs some marketing, the prize pools are so low. I think they can make it big like draft kings and the like.

Yeah truth. Its getting a little bit of marketing happening, but not enough yet.
I've given it a break but I love it, and will be back later in the year for NBA and AFL.

I'm not advertising it.
Look at my post count?
Its just a bit of fun, that would be better if there were more BF people in to discuss.

Typical punting board sceptic, jog along.

Timely

Yeah truth. Its getting a little bit of marketing happening, but not enough yet.
I've given it a break but I love it, and will be back later in the year for NBA and AFL.

What was the prize pools like in footy season? I hadn't seen it then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have to be considered gambling surely.

They are trying to figure that out at the moment in the states. Of course it's gambling, they are so dumb over there about it. If that is legal, then gambling outside of vegas should be (sports), complicated freedoms in the land of the not so free.

1. it's not gambling.
2. only 2 states have specific laws preventing online gambling, and federally it's fine as well. it's the payment processors that are the problem.

1. it definitely is gambling, how is it not?
2. you're right about online, they have different laws there which are crazy.

America. The place where you can buy a gun without a background check but they ban kinder surprises because theyre dangerous to children.

because a huge number of the prize pools are being won by a very small amount of players. i don't remember the exact numbers but it's like 90% of prizes go to the same 2% of players.

which pretty much shows if you're good enough you can win, if you aren't, you lose. you can't say that about a roulette wheel.

So putting down money for a chance to win money is not gambling nooblet? o_O
is buying an investment property gambling? better ban that.

better ban those share trading accounts.

Same applies to sports/racing betting

yeah i agree but i think the main part of the argument in the US is around the 'how much skill does it take' factor, and given the margins for error as a player betting sports are far smaller it's seen as closer to gambling than in DFS.

but i'd say it's still similar in that the better you are, the less 'gambling' is involved, depending on what you bet etc.

because a huge number of the prize pools are being won by a very small amount of players. i don't remember the exact numbers but it's like 90% of prizes go to the same 2% of players.

which pretty much shows if you're good enough you can win, if you aren't, you lose. you can't say that about a roulette wheel.

Just further emphasising that what you say is true....

Max Steinberg, one of the best poker players on the planet (coincidentally he made the November 9 at this years WSOP, came 4th and collected 2.6mil US) gave up poker full time because fantasy sports was more profitable to him.

Mind blowing.

the powers at be in the US are selling it as a "game of skill". which co-incidentally allows them to consider it not gambling. the operators basically are trying to call it Poker as there's not an expected negative ROI like say horses and sports which continues to allow them to trade. the problem comes when it's basically reduced to maths and only a handful of people win, funnily enough a hell of a lot of these people are poker players. People are losing money hand over fist so theres a big thing going on at the moment trying to work out the legality.

Without computers running multiple algorithms across millions of variables if you play consistently this you'll finish up like the 95% of losers in the states.

It's either all in or not worth the effort IMO

is buying an investment property gambling? better ban that.

better ban those share trading accounts.

Lame response and doesn't answer the question.

Also, it doesn't matter that it's a game that requires skill, money is put down to win money = gambling. No one can say it's not gambling, if it's passed over in the states as not gambling then money has been passed under the table.

Also, it doesn't matter that it's a game that requires skill, money is put down to win money = gambling.
how can you possibly think this is logical?

are you seriously saying anyone who uses their own money to try and generate more money is a gambler?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back