Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
From News.com.au...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Territory side chase stars
January 03, 2008

AFL stars Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew McLeod and Daniel Motlop could be playing for the Northern Territory by 2009.

Adelaide champion McLeod and the Port Adelaide trio head a long list of potential recruits for the new SANFL side.

Power draftee Marlon Motlop, utility Tom Logan and Crows forward Trent Hentschel are also on the shopping list.

AFLNT chief executive Tony Frawley said his league wanted the new Territory side to be the "home" SANFL club for the seven AFL players.

"We want the NT players to be available for the Territory if they don't play with their AFL club," Frawley told the Northern Territory News.

"That's seven ex-NTFL players based in Adelaide and we're saying to the league (SANFL) that we want them to play for us."

Players returning from injury or dropped for lack of form would return to the Territory side in the same manner they would play for home clubs Port Adelaide Magpies, Eagles or Norwood.

Corey AhChee (Port Adelaide Magpies) and Charlie Sharples (Sturt) will also be targeted.

The Territory side's administration base will be at TIO Stadium in Darwin where office space will be dedicated to full and part-time staff.

Training bases will be split between TIO Stadium and Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

AFLNT officials are pushing for 12 home games if the Territory is included in the 2009 SANFL draw, including six matches in Darwin and another six in Alice Springs.

Frawley said representative players involved with NTFL clubs would join the October to March Darwin competition after January 1.

From News.com.au...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Territory side chase stars
January 03, 2008

AFL stars Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Andrew McLeod and Daniel Motlop could be playing for the Northern Territory by 2009.

Adelaide champion McLeod and the Port Adelaide trio head a long list of potential recruits for the new SANFL side.

Power draftee Marlon Motlop, utility Tom Logan and Crows forward Trent Hentschel are also on the shopping list.

AFLNT chief executive Tony Frawley said his league wanted the new Territory side to be the "home" SANFL club for the seven AFL players.

"We want the NT players to be available for the Territory if they don't play with their AFL club," Frawley told the Northern Territory News.

"That's seven ex-NTFL players based in Adelaide and we're saying to the league (SANFL) that we want them to play for us."

Players returning from injury or dropped for lack of form would return to the Territory side in the same manner they would play for home clubs Port Adelaide Magpies, Eagles or Norwood.

Corey AhChee (Port Adelaide Magpies) and Charlie Sharples (Sturt) will also be targeted.

The Territory side's administration base will be at TIO Stadium in Darwin where office space will be dedicated to full and part-time staff.

Training bases will be split between TIO Stadium and Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

AFLNT officials are pushing for 12 home games if the Territory is included in the 2009 SANFL draw, including six matches in Darwin and another six in Alice Springs.

Frawley said representative players involved with NTFL clubs would join the October to March Darwin competition after January 1.

I doubt that they would be chasing Sharples!

is this a joke?!!! i wouldn't want corey ahchee in my training squad, let alone on the paddock!! The NT rep side could beat any SANFL side, as long as the selectors and coach did their jobs properly.

yours faithfully,

NDFC

is this a joke?!!! i wouldn't want corey ahchee in my training squad, let alone on the paddock!! The NT rep side could beat any SANFL side, as long as the selectors and coach did their jobs properly.

yours faithfully,

NDFC

I think it will be a little tougher than you think! Centrals alone will be very hard to beat.

If Corey wants to play for the NT then why not let him, hes from Darwin after all and the same goes with the other players playing in the SANFL.

But your right about the coaches and selectors doing their job!

I think it will be a little tougher than you think! Centrals alone will be very hard to beat.

If Corey wants to play for the NT then why not let him, hes from Darwin after all and the same goes with the other players playing in the SANFL.

But your right about the coaches and selectors doing their job!

cheers. I spose hes an alright defender/ fullback whatever, but their should be better back in Darwin somewhere!

To imagine achee making the sa rep team is puzzling as he was one of my least favourite and unskilled players in Darwin. Im not the only 1 who doesnt rate him also, lol.

cheers. I spose hes an alright defender/ fullback whatever, but their should be better back in Darwin somewhere!

To imagine achee making the sa rep team is puzzling as he was one of my least favourite and unskilled players in Darwin. Im not the only 1 who doesnt rate him also, lol.

Achee played his last game in Darwin over 8 years ago if im correct!
He is highly rated in the SANFL so why wouldnt he be the best fullback for the NT? The reason he plays SANFL is because he is too good for NTAFL!
He's played for the Allstars and the NT on a number of occasion.

I rate him personally as one of the best players not to be drafted!

Anyway thats just how i see it but im wondering who you think would be a better home grown fullback?

Achee played his last game in Darwin over 8 years ago if im correct!
He is highly rated in the SANFL so why wouldnt he be the best fullback for the NT? The reason he plays SANFL is because he is too good for NTAFL!
He's played for the Allstars and the NT on a number of occasion.

I rate him personally as one of the best players not to be drafted!

Anyway thats just how i see it but im wondering who you think would be a better home grown fullback?

pretty much anyone with 2 legs and 2 arms. Achee moves like a dinosour and always had.

He's always had a decent left foot from what i remember but thats all he's got. He's a battler , not a pure (natural) footballer. Who can dominate his position. I played against his side in u14 - u18s and he was never near the best players in his own club!!!

ok NDFC seeing u played against corey in juniors i would of been a teammate of yours and seeing u barrack for the hawks im pretty sure ive figured out who u are so ill go easy on ya...haha. Corey is an absolute gun he would walk into the ntfl and dominate anyone he plays not only fullback but every key position whenever port needs him too and plays all key positions well having played with corey in junior rep teams and against him in nt and in sanfl i can tell u he isnt slow at all as he was the quickest over 10 m back when we did testing in the old thunder days. As for territory rep team beating everyone i would be surprised if they won five games for the year it would all depend on afl listed players playing for them but even still they would prob beat westies who are useless but for the rest of them nt would find it difficult.

From the Advertiser, 15/1/08....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NT 'Magic in SANFL'
by Zac Milbank

MICHAEL "Magic" McLean has thrown his weight behind the Northern Territory playing in the SANFL - and not the WAFL - in 2009. One of the Top End's most respected football voices, McLean - who has also put his hand up to coach the new team - said playing in South Australia made sense. While players may adjust to the WAFL's free-running style of play, the SANFL's historical and geographical links are too strong to ignore.

"It would be a hard gig but I would probably push toward the SANFL," said McLean, who played 183 VFL/AFL games with Footscray and Brisbane. "Just for being straight up the middle (of Australia) and it's easy to get to as far as travel goes. A lot of South Australians end up in Darwin and a lot of our boys end up in Adelaide - they play footy down there. We've got a history of Territory boys going down to Adelaide and playing and using that as a pathway to go on to the AFL, so there's a link there. I would be looking toward South Australia, it's all good for footy and hopefully things are set up right from the start and we're competitive."

Revealing that "there's a bit of a buzz among the players", McLean is currently coaching league-leading Southern Districts in the NTFL. The gifted wingman guided his club to the NTFL premiership last season after it finished with the wooden spoon the previous year. And with AFL experience under Leigh Matthews at Brisbane in 1999 and 2000, McLean says he's ready for the challenge. "I've always had that interest in the coaching side of it," McLean said. "Just to be involved would be nice. I like to teach players when I coach and extract the best out of the group. Whether you're the best side of the comp or the bottom team, you've got to get the best out of yourself, I've always stuck to that."

To do so, McLean has already thought about the changes NT players would have to make if they played in the SANFL next year. "I think it's really important things are done right to ensure you're at your best," McLean said. "You've got to get everything right as far as travel, accommodation, the preparation and strength and conditioning. And it's about getting players to commit to three nights of training. Most sides up here have always been two nights a week so the commitment has to change as well, they're my personal views."

Recruiting players with size and strength would be McLean's priority if he were to get the nod as the side's inaugural coach. "There's no doubt whatever competition the side goes into, it's going to have to recruit," he said. "But you've got to balance that up with locals and stick to their style of footy as well. I think the SANFL is a bit ahead in terms of physicality, key-position players, bigger bodies and it's a bit tougher. So we would have to recruit a few bodies to get through the year. It's all right getting up for one-off rep (representative) games but when you've got to get through 20 weeks of the year, with travel, it makes it tough."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back