Discussion Most hearbreaking player departures

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many key players have been traded out in my time, Deledio I was happy with since he'd already had his best footy here and we got a good pick in exchange, White, I felt that he was justified since he was confined as a sub the last season we had him, Schulz never really got it going at Tigerland so I didn't mind that much. I remember being upset that Jason Torney was leaving to Adelaide although that probably didn't have much of an effect on the team.

You didn't get upset when big Ty bailed ??

Ross Glenndinning left a foul taste in Norf fans back in the day.

I'm not old enough to remember that but his departure shouldn't have been that bad.

Signed from the WAFL as a 21 year old after a couple of seasons with East Perth, played 9 seasons at North then returned to Perth for the last two years of his career. This was during the era that North were happy to poach players under the 10 year rule, too.

Modra hurt us had about 2 good years left and we got peanuts for him
Bock and Davis two KPD gone one in his last 4 or so years and one that will be a gun
Shaun Rehn in a hawthorn top just wasn't right
while i think adelaide are actually better without paddy he's still a draw card

Modra hurt us had about 2 good years left and we got peanuts for him
Bock and Davis two KPD gone one in his last 4 or so years and one that will be a gun
Shaun Rehn in a hawthorn top just wasn't right
while i think adelaide are actually better without paddy he's still a draw card
You have had a few at Adelaide. Dangerfield, Lever and probably Sloane and Charlie Cameron. You have picked up 3 from Carlton who are pretty good, but losing all of these players will have an effect.

Players always seem to leave Adelaide and not Port. I don't get it. From 2008 to 2012 Port were a basket case on and off field. Since 2013 they've been OK with a couple of 5th-8th appearances and have improved off field, but they're hardly a 'big' club compared to the Crows nor have they been regularly challenging for flags.

Over the years Port lost Shaun Burgoyne who I think wanted a fresh start after his knee injury, Danyle Pearce and Jackson Trengove to FA who they didn't really want any more, Nick Stevens... Aaron Young who left for more opportunity?

Players always seem to leave Adelaide and not Port. I don't get it. From 2008 to 2012 Port were a basket case on and off field. Since 2013 they've been OK with a couple of 5th-8th appearances and have improved off field, but they're hardly a 'big' club compared to the Crows nor have they been regularly challenging for flags.

Over the years Port lost Shaun Burgoyne who I think wanted a fresh start after his knee injury, Danyle Pearce and Jackson Trengove to FA who they didn't really want any more, Nick Stevens... Aaron Young who left for more opportunity?

Forgot to mention the fall out between the 2 Adelaide players a few years ago. Could not stand each other and yet supposedly forgot all about it on the field. Lleyton Hewitt was a close mate of one of them, and he fell out with him as well. Also signed Carey after he left North Melbourne.Could suggest there are some issues behind the scenes, but certainly Adelaide has had an interesting history.

You have had a few at Adelaide. Dangerfield, Lever and probably Sloane and Charlie Cameron. You have picked up 3 from Carlton who are pretty good, but losing all of these players will have an effect.
true
All though Bock didn't play well after he left so jury out on lever but i know he'll find form soon

true
All though Bock didn't play well after he left so jury out on lever but i know he'll find form soon

Lever leaving sucks because of his age. When you have a guy who is already playing to a high standard at 21 you don't want to lose them.

You don't want to lose someone like Dangerfield ever but he did play 150+ games over 8 years and gave the club great service.

Been found out as opposition teams isolate him. He could become another Melbourne dud recruit. They have had a few.

He's playing the same role he did at Adelaide, but Melbourne simply don't have as good a defensive structure and players. Or midfield.

Lever leaving sucks because of his age. When you have a guy who is already playing to a high standard at 21 you don't want to lose them.

You don't want to lose someone like Dangerfield ever but he did play 150+ games over 8 years and gave the club great service.

He's playing the same role he did at Adelaide, but Melbourne simply don't have as good a defensive structure and players. Or midfield.
Melbourne are a disaster. Interesting to see what Adelaide demand for Sloane and what a Vic club is prepared to offer, considering his age.
Apparently there are a couple of gun SA recruits in this year's draft. Carlton will certainly have first go at one of them.

Melbourne are a disaster. Interesting to see what Adelaide demand for Sloane and what a Vic club is prepared to offer, considering his age.
Apparently there are a couple of gun SA recruits in this year's draft. Carlton will certainly have first go at one of them.
1st round pick = Everthing should be ok & hope In time.
Mid age proven performer = Better prospect than former & if in a premiership window ...icing on the cake getting there. ...Hindsight always wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane a RFA? That's better i guess..

He's certainly an RFA: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-22/official-afl-releases-list-of-2018-free-agents

Restricted
Rory Sloane (Adelaide); Cam Guthrie (Geelong); Tom Lynch (Gold Coast); Tom McDonald (Melbourne); Shaun Atley (North Melbourne), Bachar Houli (Richmond); Andrew Gaff (West Coast), Scott Lycett (West Coast); Jeremy McGovern (West Coast); Jordan Roughead (Western Bulldogs); Mitch Wallis (Western Bulldogs)
Makes it easier in getting picks or players... Aish and a 1st round pick?

he strikes me as a if the teams going well he'll play well kinda player. Still confused to as why he went from QLD to VIC being an SA boy
That was a bit of a puzzling move, I agree. Given his excellent bloodlines and having seen him play so well aged about 16 and 17 in those two Grand Finals for Norwood I think many of us would have expected him to turn into a top AFL player pretty quickly. It doesn't look like he will ever live up to that early promise, but he's at least playing decent enough football now and is well worth his spot in the side.

As a long suffering Collingwood supporter i submit the following
Peter McKenna to Carlton
Bill Picken to the Swans, (i know he came back but it still hurt badly at the time)
Phil Carman... i know he wasnt there long but he is still probably my all time fave
Len Thompson
Peter Moore
Phil Walsh (only one year but was voted best first year player and it hurt)
Mick McGuane
Paul Williams
Sav Rocca
Chris Tarrant
Heath Shaw
Travis Cloke

Pies love trading their champions...

Has to be Relton Roberts. Had only just scratched the surface of his potential until the ill fated pre game hamburger put a spanner in the works.

As a long suffering Collingwood supporter i submit the following
Peter McKenna to Carlton
Bill Picken to the Swans, (i know he came back but it still hurt badly at the time)
Phil Carman... i know he wasnt there long but he is still probably my all time fave
Len Thompson
Peter Moore
Phil Walsh (only one year but was voted best first year player and it hurt)
Mick McGuane
Paul Williams
Sav Rocca
Chris Tarrant
Heath Shaw
Travis Cloke

Pies love trading their champions...
I don't reckon we could of squeezed anymore missed set shots out of Trav. Probably left at the right time.

Even as a Carlton fan, McGuane being traded to us was just... odd.

Shattered that Ottens left. He was my favourite player at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back