My psychological study. I'd love your help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bump.

I'd like to thank the ladies and gents who participated in my study earlier this year by completing my online questionnaire. In return for completing my survey, I offered to use the personality inventory section of the questionnaire for each participant to create a personality report and profile for them. I hope that those who asked for these found them to be accurate and interesting.

In terms of the study itself, I was investigating the relationship between personality, the extent to which you identify with your work team, and your willingness to perform to a high level and contribute an extra effort at work - this extra effort is called 'organisational citizenship behaviour'. So altogether with the results from you lovely people, and the many other sources that I used to recruit participants (250 people in total), I did indeed find what I was looking for:

The technical term for the relationship/s that I found is called statistical 'mediation'. I found that out of the 5 major personality factors (extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, emotional stability and intellect (openness to experience)) that while high levels of agreeableness and conscientiousness predict high levels of organisational citizenship behaviour, they also predict the extent to which you will identify psychologically with your work team ('we' instead of 'I', for example). This level of identification itself in turn also predicts the extent to which you will perform to a high level and participate in extra effort. The path diagram looks like this:

7Tgd9.png

For those who are interested, I can also show you the actual structural path diagram with the regression weights, etc, but it's a bit messy and confusing. Anyway, to explain this diagram: your level of agreeableness and conscientiousness predict your effort and performance at work, in addition to your level of identification with your work team, which itself also predicts your performance and effort at work. To state it technically, identification with ones work team is found to mediate the relationship between agreeableness and OCBs, and conscientiousness and OCBs.

Stay tuned, part 2 of this story is coming up in a few minutes.

Ok. So.

My thesis will contain 2 studies, one of which I have completed (above) and the other I am starting now. This second study will be similar to the one above, but will include a few different variables on top. If you participated in my first study I am not after you to complete this one, as I am looking for a separate sample (can't fish in the same pond, so to speak).

If you missed out last time or you weren't around, and you are 18 years or older and employed please consider completing this short online questionnaire about yourself, your relationship with your work team or department, and how you behave at work. If you choose, in return, your responses to the personality questions will be used to develop a short report on your personality.
The questionnaire is online, and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. The answers that you give, once submitted, will be stored safely and directly on the Griffith University servers, ensuring your confidentiality. You will not be asked to provide your name or any other identifying information, unless you choose to do so in order to receive feedback on your results.

If you would like to see your personality profile, you will need to provide a contact email at the end of the questionnaire. This address will also be stored securely on the Griffith University servers, will not be given to third parties, and will be deleted from the data set once the report has been generated.

The link for the questionnaire is below. It also contains more information regarding the research and your confidentiality and privacy:

https://prodsurvey.rcs.griffith.edu.au/prodls190/index.php?sid=53243&lang=en

If you have any friends or co-workers who may be interested in completing this survey and receiving their own personality profile, it would be much appreciated if you could pass this link on.

Moreover, I will also be pushing this on twitter periodically, so if you see me tweeting about it (@ IanHaso84) if you could help a brother out with a retweet every so often that would be super fabulous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back