Nathan Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyon did underperform massively in the UAE (I actually thought he did alright in India).

But it's harsh to criticise him based on this series.
It's not, because three tests went to day five and he only performed in one.

If he was mentally stronger and more assured of himself he would do okay, but you can see how he slumps when things aren't going his way. Shoulders droop, and he bowls flat rubbish.

It's not, because three tests went to day five and he only performed in one.

If he was mentally stronger and more assured of himself he would do okay, but you can see how he slumps when things aren't going his way. Shoulders droop, and he bowls flat rubbish.

Three tests that went to 5 days on the same pitches where no pace bowler took more than 15 wickets across any 3 of the 4 tests. Seven batsmen made 100s while another 12 made 50s - 19 players scored 50 or more at least once.

This time last year Mitchell Johnson took 37 wickets @ 14 in 5 tests then followed it up with 22 wickets @ 17 in 3 tests in RSA. Against India he managed 13 wickets @ 30+. Let's not pretend Lyon was bowling on unplayable wickets on each 5th day. The wickets were flat and batsman friendly across the board, hence we had 8 400+ scores and one bowler with an average less than 30. Even in the Adelaide test when Lyon bowled us to victory India still managed 315 scoring at 3 and a half an over.

Three tests that went to 5 days on the same pitches where no pace bowler took more than 15 wickets across any 3 of the 4 tests. Seven batsmen made 100s while another 12 made 50s - 19 players scored 50 or more at least once.

This time last year Mitchell Johnson took 37 wickets @ 14 in 5 tests then followed it up with 22 wickets @ 17 in 3 tests in RSA. Against India he managed 13 wickets @ 30+. Let's not pretend Lyon was bowling on unplayable wickets on each 5th day. The wickets were flat and batsman friendly across the board, hence we had 8 400+ scores and one bowler with an average less than 30. Even in the Adelaide test when Lyon bowled us to victory India still managed 315 scoring at 3 and a half an over.

India are also the best players of spin in world cricket. And Lyon outperformed India's spinners over the course of the series. Yes, there were times where his line and length wavered and his confidence dipped, but you can say that about every bowler on both teams.

India are also the best players of spin in world cricket. And Lyon outperformed India's spinners over the course of the series. Yes, there were times where his line and length wavered and his confidence dipped, but you can say that about every bowler on both teams.

I thought the shine of Lyon was finished after the Pakistan series but he can hold his head high after the Indian series.

Yes, he has come a long way in recent times. He doesn't quite have the drift and dip of Erin Osborne, but the Lawnmower Man can give it a rev now.

Oh wow - he finally did something on a 5th day wicket!!!!!!!

Through enough darts and you'll eventually hit a bulls eye...7/152 - hardly mesmerizing figures. It was more of a choke by the Indians rather than an exhibition of skills by Mr Mackey.
This is the dumbest post I've ever read

Australian spinners have regularly run through Indian batting line ups over the years of course

He was only responsible for half our wins

We need to blood a young spinner who can't buy a wicket at Shield level

Oh wow - he finally did something on a 5th day wicket!!!!!!!

Through enough darts and you'll eventually hit a bulls eye...7/152 - hardly mesmerizing figures. It was more of a choke by the Indians rather than an exhibition of skills by Mr Mackey.

did his job though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not current though. I think I remember seeing a young Indian in the IPL who was bowling them. Did reasonably well, so might get an international run at some stage.
Yeah a bloke I used to play cricket against used to bowl them. Pretty difficult to face if he's landing them in the right spot because it spins so much. Clearly the rarest of all bowling types though.

Lyon didn't out bowl Ashwin in the 3 tests Ashwin played.

TBF it's a. Lot easier to take wickets when the batsmen are trying to slog you out of the park than when they are dead batting for a draw

To a degree, but then again over and over again Lyon bowls too flat. When he tosses it up around 84-85kmph he bowls muc better than his flat darts at 89kmph.

TBF it's a. Lot easier to take wickets when the batsmen are trying to slog you out of the park than when they are dead batting for a draw
Yes I thought that, but his variation and change ups would have caught a fair few batsman out, even those defending. Being able to bowl the doosra can bring a wicket. I remember murali absolutely destroying Australia with it years ago.

To a degree, but then again over and over again Lyon bowls too flat. When he tosses it up around 84-85kmph he bowls muc better than his flat darts at 89kmph.
The old Warne line - toss it up above their eyes and they become mesmorised. The slower you bowl, the more revolutions you need to turn it, but then you also get dip and drift, crucial weapons for a spin bowler. When you're bowling flat you're bowling fast and the ball skids on more often than not. In the 2nd innings his bowling was far too easy to play, but when he bowled it in the right areas he cause some problems.

Chinaman would be the rarest type of bowler these days. Anybody know of any international left arm leggys?
Paul Adams had a surprisingly good test record, particularly at the start.

Sobers probably the best although he mixed up between chinaman, orthodox and medium pace and I've no idea what discipline he was best out, or maybe they were all pretty even.

Chuck Fleetwood Smith had an amazing first class record. Over 500 wickets at 22 but couldn't displace O'Reilly or Grimmett and only managed 40 wickets at 37 in tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back