National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't know why I took you off ignore with your inane ramblings. Private enterprises are as unaccountable as public.

so you are saying "government does not even do it's job........govern?"

I tried my best to get NBN. I could see the green boxes across the road but I got a quote of $11,000 to connect. I raised a CEO level complaint. The bloke I dealt with was friendly but ultimately couldn't tell me when the roll out would extend to my side of the street, if ever. The NBN satellite plans have very low data.

So I signed up with Starlink. Unlimited data. I went from 9 Mbps on ADSL 2 to 124 Mbps. Pretty happy with that.

1683106824714.png

I tried my best to get NBN. I could see the green boxes across the road but I got a quote of $11,000 to connect. I raised a CEO level complaint. The bloke I dealt with was friendly but ultimately couldn't tell me when the roll out would extend to my side of the street, if ever. The NBN satellite plans have very low data.

So I signed up with Starlink. Unlimited data. I went from 9 Mbps on ADSL 2 to 124 Mbps. Pretty happy with that.

View attachment 1677183
Costs the government something like 9k to put you on satellite.

Borken.

I wasn't aware the government was subsidising Starlink. Cost me $199 for the dish and modem on a special offer. It's even faster today for some reason.

View attachment 1677514
I wasnt talking about sl.

Im pointing out the stupidity of not offering you the difference between what it costs them to put a redundant service on your roof and what it costs them to put you on fibre and seeing if you would pay that difference.

By have you thought about going and seeing your neighbour and getting them to go halves in a 1000mps plan, setting up a point to point system between your houses and having lightnjng fast internet for around $75 a month?

Last edited:
I wasnt talking about sl.

Im pointing out the stupidity of not offering you the difference between what it costs them to put a redundant service on your roof and what it costs them to put you on fibre and seeing if you would pay that difference.

By have you thought about going and seeing your neighbour and getting them to go halves in a 1000mps plan, setting up a point to point system between your houses and having lightnjng fast internet for around $75 a month?

Why does it cost the government 9k to put me on satellite? If the difference between fibre and satellite was $2k I would have paid it. It's hard enough to speak to a real person at NBN let alone trying to negotiate a deal like that.

1000 Mbps is only available on FTTP and HFC isn't it? I don't have those options. I don't need 1000 Mbps anyway. 200 Mbps feels like lightning fast after 10 Mbps on ADSL2. With unlimited data and 200 Mbps I could share with my neighbour I guess.

Why does it cost the government 9k to put me on satellite? If the difference between fibre and satellite was $2k I would have paid it. It's hard enough to speak to a real person at NBN let alone trying to negotiate a deal like that.

1000 Mbps is only available on FTTP and HFC isn't it? I don't have those options. I don't need 1000 Mbps anyway. 200 Mbps feels like lightning fast after 10 Mbps on ADSL2. With unlimited data and 200 Mbps I could share with my neighbour I guess.
That’s how much a satellite install costs the government.

The fact they dont offer you that = bureaucracy manifest.

Yes i did mean fftp. And yes most people would be happy with 200 shared between two of you. Prob cost you $55 a month each + the cost of installing a p2p system.

Looking to move back to Australia and it seems that this still a shambles. even if you're in a 'NBN' enabled area.

Gonna be moving from 1000/500 for $45/m to 'HFC' NBN for a hell of a lot more.

******* hell

Oh I know.

I just hope that Labor go back to their original plan of FTTP for everyone.

They won't, but they ******* should.

Labor promised 93% of dwellings to be connected by fibre. It was never properly costed and the plan to sell NBN at a profit has been shown to be a joke.

Since coming into power Labor has quietly reverted to a multi-technology mix strategy and is no longer committing to connecting properties by fibre regardless of cost.

Apparently it costs $9,000 for the government to install satellite for me but $199 for Starlink to do the same. Maybe a government monopoly on providing fast internet was never the best solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Labor promised 93% of dwellings to be connected by fibre. It was never properly costed and the plan to sell NBN at a profit has been shown to be a joke.

Since coming into power Labor has quietly reverted to a multi-technology mix strategy and is no longer committing to connecting properties by fibre regardless of cost.

Apparently it costs $9,000 for the government to install satellite for me but $199 for Starlink to do the same. Maybe a government monopoly on providing fast internet was never the best solution.

Maybe we should get Telstra to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back