NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh this is the beauty of rep sides, plenty of conjecture.:D
Is a bit hard to comment on sides that I haven't seen this year (Ainslie, Belco and Hills), but from what I have seen Griggs would be the unlucky one, has been excellent in the middle and is smart up forward.

Hey Carrot Lamp.

Thats a bit rich coming from an Ainslie supporter considering your clubs long and proud history of sniping and behind the play incidents.

On the rep squad its probebly the same as last year when Rourky wouldn't play Shirley, thats probebly why Macgregor did not get a run.

Pocock from Tuggers was probebly unlucky as well.

Interesting selections for over 21 NEAFL representative team, there will always be players who make themselves unavailable for selection and perhaps Macgregor is one of those, Dragicevic and Cleaver from the Hawks are the two most possession getters at the Hawks from my observations, I think I counted 23 handballs from Dragicevic alone against Eastlake, can only imagine how many possesions he would get in a better side, with so many in the squad from the Tigers they will have fingers crossed none of their players get injured and derail their season. Belco have a few in and seem to have a good bunch of developing players, will be interesting to see how many of the players from Hills and Uni get in the final team and how they go. Eastlake and Ainslie have a even spread of talent in the initial squad.

When does the under 21 squad get announced?

Did Lokan get rubbed out? I was chatting to him the other day seems like a likable bloke off the field but have seen him play 3 games this season and he is a hot head, he has a young list so maybe he needs to tone the aggression down a little to set a good example.

Did Lokan get rubbed out? I was chatting to him the other day seems like a likable bloke off the field but have seen him play 3 games this season and he is a hot head, he has a young list so maybe he needs to tone the aggression down a little to set a good example.

I've only seen him once this year (first up against Ainslie), and he didn't seem to be that dirty, though he was mouthing a fair bit.

Started up forward then moved himself into the midfield after fell way behind early. Had a good laugh with those in the crowd who were giving him a bit of stick.

Admittedly though, I don't think he was setting the greatest example for the younger blokes, almost seems a bit lazy, which probably isn't the most desirable trait in a captain/coach.

Looks like if you were ever on an AFL list - you're in

Not sure how Belconnen have same number in as form teams Qybn & Eagles

What Belco players do you think shouldn't be in there?

Also, Carrot Lamp. Definately pot calling kettle black with that one. If any of our players get suspended we'll wear it. No cash pay offs to get certain players off, no matter how big the game...

Re: Lokan

Must admit ,I noticed against SH Eagles Lokan has a big mouth on field and seems to be first one to start a scuffle or niggle - not setting a great example for younger players .
I also saw him when Belconnen played SH Eagles - seemed pretty harmless to me. He was acting as "protection" for his little mate Harris, and he generally seemed to be wanting to look a bit mean and ornery.
As ya do.
But it was all posturing as far as I could see and certainly nothing reportable or injurious to anyone's health. He's the coach and on-field leader and you'd expect him to be the one drawing the line in the sand and blah, blah, blah.....

But he's copped a whacking in this forum over the past couple of days because no-one has been able to put the matter to rest by telling us whether he has been reported/outed. So I've asked the powers-that-be at NEAFL to have a think about including a weekly tribunal update on the website; those of us from the Sydney branch of this new blended family have become accustomed to it on the Sydney AFL website.

Just wondering if the tips are going to be updated. Not to gloat but I am pretty sure I am leading despite living in qld and have never seen most of the teams play in the flesh. Pity i could never play footy very well but tip footy I can

What Belco players do you think shouldn't be in there?

Also, Carrot Lamp. Definately pot calling kettle black with that one. If any of our players get suspended we'll wear it. No cash pay offs to get certain players off, no matter how big the game...

Im looking purely at results & My point re Belco is they have won 1 game - beating Uni and they drew with Tuggeranong hawks .I doubt whether those 2 teams will win any games outside playing against each other . Where as Qybn , Eagles have performed well against other top sides. I think Ainslie have too many in aswell given their patchy form.

To be more specific I have watched 2 games involving belco - Curtis & Harris should be in , porter is in because what I've seen he is best tap ruckman in comp so far but That should be it for Belco

Turnbull hasn't done a thing when I saw them twice

Sharpe & Lokan look lazy , Slow , overweight & not the types you take to fast tracks up north against fast opponents

There would be 2 or 3 sitting at qybn, eagles or eastlake that have winning form that probably deserve a chance

Do we know who made themselves unavailable for selection ?And also apart from Rourke who were the selectors ?Any body care to name there own side for us to disect ?

Is it all the coaches of the various clubs who do the selecting? Each coach names who they think from their own team as well as the other teams they play and they essentially tally it up?

Im looking purely at results & My point re Belco is they have won 1 game - beating Uni and they drew with Tuggeranong hawks .I doubt whether those 2 teams will win any games outside playing against each other . Where as Qybn , Eagles have performed well against other top sides. I think Ainslie have too many in aswell given their patchy form.

To be more specific I have watched 2 games involving belco - Curtis & Harris should be in , porter is in because what I've seen he is best tap ruckman in comp so far but That should be it for Belco

Turnbull hasn't done a thing when I saw them twice

Sharpe & Lokan look lazy , Slow , overweight & not the types you take to fast tracks up north against fast opponents

There would be 2 or 3 sitting at qybn, eagles or eastlake that have winning form that probably deserve a chance

I see where you're coming from with the results side of things but you have to base it on individual performance. There might be six or seven standout players who deserve a look in for the rep squad but the team in general isn't playing well or others aren't pulling their weight. Performing individuals shouldn't be punished for that.

I do agree that there are definately some players, especially from Hills and Queanbeyan, who, from what I've seen should definately feel hard done by.

Sharpe and Lokan are both very handy players who are very good at playing to their strengths. Lokan is as dominant as just about any big forward in the comp and Sharpe has been racking up possies especially in the last few rounds.

I also would be interested in finding out how the team is picked and who ruled themselves out... Anyone shed any light on this?

Tips for the week:
Redland
Belco
Swans
Eastlake
Hills to over Mt. Gravatt in the Foxtel Cup (Even though it is not a NEAFL game thought I would just throw it in).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redland
Morningside
Swans
Eastlake

Sorry all. I'll do a tips score update following the matches from this weekend.

Not a bad team flying hi, looks like they opted to not pick the 21's in the senior team to allow for the best 21's team possible.

Tips for this week:
Redland
Belconnen
Swans
Eastlake

Ainslie over Eastlake by 4 goals due to home ground advantage
Morningside over Belconnen by 4 goals as Belconnen have only beaten Uni. Morningside lost half their GF side from last year but have a few decent young ones coming through.
Redland over Tuggers by 15 goals- Redland travelling ok and Clouston in top form.
Swans over uni by 100 points just too strong.

Hills over Mt Gravatt in the FC by 20 points as Mt Gravatt are pretty average atm and Hills are looking pretty good and certain finalists down there. First time I have tipped a EC team to beat a NC team.

gps

I watched Swans v Uni - 38 goals to 5....nuff said.

What I learned was that Swans jumpers have a small pocket sewn into the area between the upper shoulder blades. And in that pocket of all jerseys is a GPS device to measure distance travelled and track, time spent standing still, speeds and so on.
When you next watch AFL on TV, have a look and you can see that small lump on the upper back below the neck.

I suppose some of our NEAFL contributora know that and I'm just a Sydney AFL baracker who thinks like a dinosaur.

So there we had poor old Uni, doing their best to manage the brave new world of NEAFL, competing against that technology.

We have a lot to learn about modern day footy.

Do any ACT/QBN teams use GPS?Or are we still hoping to compete using nothing much better than a slide rule and observations ?

Re: gps

Do any ACT/QBN teams use GPS?Or are we still hoping to compete using nothing much better than a slide rule and observations ?

Because GPS tracking devices are so small and convenient these days (built in to a wrist watch, or an app on your iPhone, iPod etc), some guys use them personally in their off and pre season training to track distances. (Hell, I even use one track when I go for a ride). But we (Qbn) don't use them for any team based analysis (yet!!)

I know that the Giants even use them in training. They monitor the effort being put in by players in particular drills. The have live data on a laptop beside the training track and if guys aren't achieving goals for speed, distance, heart rate etc, they get called out for some special attention.

After some of our games against the Swans over the years a few players have come back out of the rooms after the game and have had to run 400s. I can only assume that is because their GPS tracking data suggested they needed to do a bit more work on the day.

From my time with the ACT umpires I can also say that several of them use them as well on a personal basis, mainly to monitor distances and monitor their workload. Many of the boundary umpires have cross country or middle/long distance running backgrounds and are bordering on elite athletes so they are pretty professional about how they go about things. Even at NEAFL level boundary umpires run 18-21kms per game.

On a completely unrelated matter - why do we pronounce Bourkey as "ber-ky" while Rourkey, spelt exactly the same way, is pronounced "raw-ky". :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back