NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers' mad monday LOL at the guy who came in a Swans jumper

ng-artwide-tigers-20120917171043592752-620x349.jpg

Pretty sure when the word "desperate" is used and suggestions the older players don't respect him because of his age even prior to Klemke's arrival that is sticking the knives in.

Then another was the Tigers won't get "near it" this season also suggests otherwise.

As for how he did it, I don't have the answers as I was not part of the process. All I can assume is that all players believed in his game plan, his training methods, the team rules, the structures and his enthusiasm.

Either way he did an incredible job and he, the people who hired him, the players and the support staff deserve a huge pat on the back for an amazing turn around.

We quickly forget that the majority of this group are under 24 and most played last season and won 4 games finishing 2nd last.

They did not lose to any Canberra side this season!

A fantastic turn around and I can't speak highly enough of all involved. They were a pleasure to watch.

Found out today that Glenn Garner will not be continuing as coach of the Hills Eagles - not sure why. But his record has been excellent over the past five years so it's not a "form' issue.

Well doen to the tigers.

ABH, I dont think people were 'putting the knife in', I just think people were very sceptical re the joung coach appointment and from there though best to bag the club even though it wasnt down.

Klemke must have some sort of head on his shoulders. Not only has he be able to get players his own age to respect him, he has gotten much older players to do the same.

ABH - any insight into how he went about this in Dec/Jan/Feb?

Fantastic effort, especially since his father died just over a year ago. He is a great person with a very mature head on his shoulders and obviously he knows his footy.

Found out today that Glenn Garner will not be continuing as coach of the Hills Eagles - not sure why. But his record has been excellent over the past five years so it's not a "form' issue.

Heard a rumour ainsle may have made him a offer....

So, who will be the next coach of the SHEagles ?
I don't think there are any active, suitable, Level III accredited coaches in the SFL...Syd Uni and the Eagles brought their own.
And I can't imagine that SHEagles by themselves would be able to jazzz up a package enough to attract an out-of-towner.

I'm tipping that the phone line between SHEagles and The Giants will be running hot at the moment...that is probably where the answer lies.

Todays game will be the last for Premiership player Roy Jaques.

Turned his career around a few years ago when many including myself thought he was done and dusted.

Been super consistant the last 3 seasons and will leave the game in career best form.

Well done Roy enjoy retirement :thumbsu:

Tired Tigers Tamed by Lions

Brisbane Lions came out on top in a classy display to defeat a flat looking Tiger outfit by 69 points at Manuka Oval to win the NEAFL Championship. Led by some seasoned campaigners with over 230 AFL games between then in Amon Buchannan and Cheynee Stiller, the Lions dominated from midway through the first term to run out comfortable victors.

Qbn 11-9-75
BL 22-12-144

With both sides having impressive Grand Final victories it was always going to be interesting to see which side would be able to lift themselves for another battle and it was the Tigers who started the stronger kicking the first 2 goals of the match. The Tigers were up and about and playing some impressive football however as the term grew longer Buchannan and Stiller began to stamp their authority by getting the ball out of the middle and providing opportunities for their forwards with Jordan Lisle in particular looking very dangerous. It was a free flowing game which suited the fresh legs of some of the newer Lions players as they controlled the tempo of the opening quarter. Full credit to Queanbeyan who rallied and a smart snap by Brett Fruend saw the Tigers go into the break only 8 points down.

Qbn 4-1-25
BL 5-3-33

The 2nd term belonged to the Lions as they dominated the clearances. They were well on top in the midfield with Sam Michael getting on top in the ruck and Buchannan and Stiller still seemingly having the football to themselves. Time and time again the Lions out numbered the Tigers at contests and began sending wave after wave of football into their forward line with Lisle continuing to be a threat as his marking a kicking for goal becoming a feature of the match. It was looking like the brutal Grand Final against the Swans had taken its toll on the Tigers as they were 2nd to the ball and continually having to chase their Lion opponents who dominated the term kicking 6 goals to 2. To make matters worse the Tigers were down one rotation after Jeremy Kirkwood was flattened by a late bump by Amon Buchannan and would take no further part in the game. The umpires were also playing their part with many questionable calls being loudly unpopular among the Tiger faithful.

Qbn 6-3-39
BL 11-5-71

A similar pattern greeted us during the 3rd term as Brisbane again dominated the clearances and continued to out number the Tigers at most contests. The "top up" players from Brisbane used their fresh legs to run the tiring Tigers around just when the Tigers needed to play contested football. But the team in Black & Gold did fight the quarter out and scored 3 goals to their opponents 4 to trail by 38 points at the last break. Another pattern which also did not change was the confusing decisions of the men in "green" with many of their calls leaving players and spectators scratching their heads in amazement.

Qbn 9-7-61
BL 15-9-99

The final term could not end quickly enough for the sore and sorry Tigers. They had endured a heavy workload during their local finals campaign and you sensed that they were keen to see the end of this game and celebrate what was a remarkable season. Brisbane however stuck to their plan and continued to run the Tigers ragged. Their ball use in tight and spread was a pleasure to watch as they piled on another 7 goals to 2 to run out convincing 69 point winners.

Best for Brisbane was Amon Buchannan who seemed to bring his own football to Manuka, closely followed by Cheynee Stiller who knocked up getting possessions. In ruck Sam Michael continually gave these 2 first use of the football and their work was confidently finished by Jordon Lisle who kicked 9 goals.

A for Queanbeyan they were best by Kade Klemke who battled vigorously at every contest, Jarrod Atkinson showed flashes of brilliance and several of his runs and carry excited the crowd. Ryan Quade again battled manfully, James Kavanagh continued to run and present but unfortunately most of his kicks were from well outside the 50 metre arc and Toby Conroy did what he does best in finding the football on numerous occassions.

So season 2012 is over and the Tigers are Eastern Premiers. A fairytale season that very few would have predicted. All at Tigerland can take a well earned break and reflect on the journey that has reaped 3 sides in the finals, a Club Championship and a first grade flag. To you all, thanks for the year and we cant wait for 2013 as we strive for back to back.

ABH,
I wasn't there, in fact I wasn't especially interested in this game....not Robinson Crusoe I gather !
Did you think that Qbn was having a red-hot go ?
Did it matter or did they have their "big win" last weekend ?

ABH,
I wasn't there, in fact I wasn't especially interested in this game....not Robinson Crusoe I gather !
Did you think that Qbn was having a red-hot go ?
Did it matter or did they have their "big win" last weekend ?

I dont want to take anything away from Brisbane because they were superb, but the day had a totally different feel about.

It was not as tense in the rooms, supporters were relaxed and for me and many a win would have just been a bonus.

Last week was definitely the bigger deal for the club as this is what you train for all year round. You play in the Eastern League against these opponents all year so its the ultimate for all involved. Given the win was probably the best in the clubs history the match against the Lions was always going to be a 2nd prize and only used for further bragging rights amongst fans.

The 12 year old premiership monkey had been lifted and this game was a game the players could relax and enjoy. Unfortunately they looked flat and battered from the Swans match. The conditions were also warm which did not suit the Tigers.

In all honesty I think its unfair for a premiership side to have 24 hours to celebrate and then have to come up for another game.

It was sad to see the players looking exhausted and disappointed after the game given the euphoria of the previous weekend and they deserved to embrace that victory for a lot longer.

I am not sure what is the best format but for me 6 days after an intense physical GF is not ideal

I dont want to take anything away from Brisbane because they were superb, but the day had a totally different feel about.

It was not as tense in the rooms, supporters were relaxed and for me and many a win would have just been a bonus.

Last week was definitely the bigger deal for the club as this is what you train for all year round. You play in the Eastern League against these opponents all year so its the ultimate for all involved. Given the win was probably the best in the clubs history the match against the Lions was always going to be a 2nd prize and only used for further bragging rights amongst fans.

The 12 year old premiership monkey had been lifted and this game was a game the players could relax and enjoy. Unfortunately they looked flat and battered from the Swans match. The conditions were also warm which did not suit the Tigers.

In all honesty I think its unfair for a premiership side to have 24 hours to celebrate and then have to come up for another game.

It was sad to see the players looking exhausted and disappointed after the game given the euphoria of the previous weekend and they deserved to embrace that victory for a lot longer.

I am not sure what is the best format but for me 6 days after an intense physical GF is not ideal

We all hoped they could do it but in hindsight it was very hard to crank up the whole crew that had played 4 weeks in a row at the pace they did on a big hard ground like Manuka. I went to training on Thursday night and they were sore and flat. Lions bringing down fresh legs certainly helped them.
It does make you recognize is how good was Ainslies effort last year to go to Alice Springs and nearly win it.
Reckon the game would be better as the first round of the Foxtel Cup next year but don't think they will play it again in the present format.
Thanks ABH for keeping this site moving all year. Enjoy the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it was anything close to 1000. I was a bit surprised at the atmosphere. I thought it would be a bigger deal than it was but in the end there were maybe 500 people at best, entry was free, and it definitely felt like Queanbeyan had won their Grand Final the previous weekend. Maybe half of the die hard Tigers cheer squad were there.

To be honest I didn't even realise the Grand Final was going to be played in Canberra until the night before.

The previous weekend was just awesome. A great local crowd who was really into it, and a great game with the mighty Tigers beating the filthy filthy Swans.

It's probably too early for the concept to really have much meaning behind it (compared to the meaning behind the local rivalries) but I'm sure in time it will develop into an important game.

heard a whisper today that chad gibson is out of contract and will be giving footy away to fucus on his body building career. very big loss to eastlake if this turns out to be true

Is there any rumours with players switching for the next season. a lot of coach movement seems to be on the cards already no appointments though..

So, who will be the next coach of the SHEagles ?
I don't think there are any active, suitable, Level III accredited coaches in the SFL...Syd Uni and the Eagles brought their own.
And I can't imagine that SHEagles by themselves would be able to jazzz up a package enough to attract an out-of-towner.

I'm tipping that the phone line between SHEagles and The Giants will be running hot at the moment...that is probably where the answer lies.

Well bugger me. That's a weird one. I wonder what's behind that decision. Well if his absence is not based on his performance then that leaves only a couple of options........either one of the parties are not happy or maybe it's money/contract related. What about Houlihan? Was assistant coach last year I believe. Does he possess a level III? Would he be a suitable replacement? Maybe you are right 'justabaraker', maybe the answer does lie with GWS. Thoughts anyone???

Any idea what is going on at Tuggeranong, I thought that they had already signed up Dragacevic to coach in 2013, but they are advertising for a coach?.

Looks like both the Bennett brothers will be back donning the Belco colours next year. With Chris York also returning.

ABH,
Last news was the Lokan was the coach....have you heard that he is no longer ?
NEAFL Eastern is pretty light on for senior coaches at the moment and it would add more intrigue if Belconnen is also in the market.

ABH,
Last news was the Lokan was the coach....have you heard that he is no longer ?
NEAFL Eastern is pretty light on for senior coaches at the moment and it would add more intrigue if Belconnen is also in the market.

No mate, Lokan is current coach, I merely suggested next coach

Always a chance but if it were to happen it would be a down the track kind of thing I would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back