NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns : on paper and with their list one year older should almost be unbeatable, will find it very difficult not to finish in top 3 and will make it hard to exit early
Labrador : dreadful in 2011 and will need to improve greatly and have a cop of significant losses
Southport : I can't believe they can underachieve 2 years running and if Cleve Hughes and Wade Mills are fit will be a force. Dismiss them at your peril !
Broadbeach : Zorko a huge loss, but will obviously have a completely different game plan (that is not the 2011 plan : Give it to Zorko), some good buys and with an astute coach amy be a real surprise packet
Aspley : some gains and losses, my concern is lack of size and how good are these new recruits. Payne must be ageing !!!
Mt Gravatt : David Lake a huge loss and their are the Gilliland rumours !
May struggle
Thunder : loss of lots of experienced players but they always find some new stars. Word is Ash Duncan is a superstar and throw him into the midfield with Cam Ilett and the most underrated player in the comp in Jake Dignan and they have a dynamic mid-field.
Redlands : made the finals once in the history and I think will underachieve again
Morningside : new coach, new gains and don't forget were runners-up in 2011 without Kinch and an unfit Bonney. Under 18 premiers by a country mile. they will still be on the mark
Lions : couldn't possibly be any worse than 2011

Grogan : Payne
Goalkicking : Hughes
5 : Suns, thunder, southport, Morningside, Broadbeach

Hey Doc, is Payne a good recruit or not? Your questioning him as a recruit and then nominating him for the Grogan.

Suns;Good enough but will they pull the pin, seniors won't make finals.
Aspley; recruited well but were already on an up curve just needed belief.
Labrador: Big, strong and very tight unit.
NT Thunder; climbed the mountain, are in transition.
Broadbeach; as long as the money lasts.
Redlands; won last years reserves g/f ,forced to locals but youth rarely lets you down.
Lions; better depth.
Southport; the times they are a changing.
Morningside; over the mountain and heading down the other side, without their guide.
Mt Gravatt; Lake was the glue here and three other roles he filled, rebuild and consolidation time.

Grogan; needs credibility restored.
Goalkicking: Ewing

Still think Southport will be the team to beat with the NT.
Surely my sharks will be fitter at the start of the season and not drop games early. Word is one or two more recruits still to arrive.

I think you are bitter Beachy towards Broadbeach. Stockdale took a pay cut to go there and Broady paid less for Neagle than what you guys and us offered him. Have heard Broady has been a bit lucky with their recruiting as well. Blokes rolling up from out of the blue.
Still good on them they must be doing something right.

Both those coast sides will struggle against fully fit Sharks and suns reserves.

Hey Doc, is Payne a good recruit or not? Your questioning him as a recruit and then nominating him for the Grogan.

All tongue in cheek with reference to Matthew , was hoping it got back to him
the kid is a superstar
I just hope there are enough big bodies at Aspley to look after him because he will obviously be targeted by every other club. Also hope they manage his rotations well and look after his body

1. NT Thunder
2. Aspley
3. MT.Gravatt
4. Suns
5. Broadbeach
6. Southport
7. Morningside
8. Labrador
9. Redland
10. Lions

Thunder to win conference again.

also, does anybody know of any pre season games going on in and around brisbane?

Still think Southport will be the team to beat with the NT.
Surely my sharks will be fitter at the start of the season and not drop games early. Word is one or two more recruits still to arrive.

I think you are bitter Beachy towards Broadbeach. Stockdale took a pay cut to go there and Broady paid less for Neagle than what you guys and us offered him. Have heard Broady has been a bit lucky with their recruiting as well. Blokes rolling up from out of the blue.
Still good on them they must be doing something right.

Both those coast sides will struggle against fully fit Sharks and suns reserves.

No riodj, baited up for catfish but ended up with a shark.:)

My source at Council tells me the Broadbeach/Kurrawa surf club deal has been thrown out, hope the club has been buying their scratchies and is a good week to grab a quickpick.

And so it should be LAB - wtf should a surf club be in cohesions with a football club for? One is a legit charity and any excess funds they have should go to making their equipment better, the other is a "business" (or so we are continually told) whose #1 agenda is to win a premiership.

The big money blokes from Broady might be saying "hold on right now" are you implying!:)

Sharks will be very good, had dinner at the club other night and saw a bit of training, very intense/serious with some handy players out there for this time of year.

Top 5 no particular order:

Thunder
Sharks
Suns
Hornets
Panthers

On the fringe:

Vultures
Bombers
Cats
Lions
Tigers

Again so hard to pick, could go anyway and teams improving every year, even the AFL ressies.

If Suns want to win the premiership they will, key word if.

And so it should be LAB - wtf should a surf club be in cohesions with a football club for? One is a legit charity and any excess funds they have should go to making their equipment better, the other is a "business" (or so we are continually told) whose #1 agenda is to win a premiership.

The big money blokes from Broady might be saying "hold on right now" are you implying!:)

SMY - reckon you are dreaming re legit charities and businesses.

Both are entities that are permitted to operate gaming machines on the basis that funds raised go back to promote sport and the community. That is the sole basis that they have a gaming licence - not on the basis that they are a business. Businesses canot have Club gaming licences.

I suspect that Aspley & Southport Sharks AFC's would have more in their bank accounts than most Surf Clubs.

If a Surfing Club, Bowls Club, Football Club or Bridge Club thought they could make a buck by taking on another Club premise...and direct funds to that Club..why is that a bad result? Its still a a Community Club. Mt Gravatt's Licenced Club operates independently...and it could be a bloody tamborine playing club for all puposes.....it provides a facility that the AFC club couldnt and it provides funds to the AFC..wheres the downside?

Both are entities that are permitted to operate gaming machines on the basis that funds raised go back to promote sport and the community. That is the sole basis that they have a gaming licence - not on the basis that they are a business. Businesses canot have Club gaming licences.

I suspect that Aspley & Southport Sharks AFC's would have more in their bank accounts than most Surf Clubs.

If a Surfing Club, Bowls Club, Football Club or Bridge Club thought they could make a buck by taking on another Club premise...and direct funds to that Club..why is that a bad result? Its still a a Community Club. Mt Gravatt's Licenced Club operates independently...and it could be a bloody tamborine playing club for all puposes.....it provides a facility that the AFC club couldnt and it provides funds to the AFC..wheres the downside?

Most recent example os usch an arrangement was Zillmere Eagles and Shaw Sports (aka Kedron Wavell Services Club) and we all know how that finished up !!

Sharks will be very good, had dinner at the club other night and saw a bit of training, very intense/serious with some handy players out there for this time of year.

Thunder
Sharks
Suns
Hornets
Panthers

On the fringe:

Vultures
Bombers
Cats
Lions
Tigers

Again so hard to pick, could go anyway and teams improving every year, even the AFL ressies.

i will have a go??

Thunder - will be to good with resources, players, they will turnover players every year i think, 12 home games, if they fiinish in the top three home prelim and away they go

Aspley - some handy additions, shir was finished at this level (body and commitment) was a good player though, must play the kids with Payne,Johnstone (hope he proves us all wrong) and Buchanan. if Evans is in their best 22 they will struggle cost them a final last year poor discipline at a crucial time

Suns - same as what everyone else says, i just hope there are some proper rules in place for top ups how about giving some kids from nth NSW a run growth area for the AFL?

Mside - great mid and fwd lines still, major concern over back 6 no C.Brown

Broady - have picked up some good players Zorko obviosly is a big loss got some great kids boston etc

Lions - will have a better list this year Zorko to win grogan (just joking hope he plays every senior game)

Lab - will improve with players coming back from injuries havent got any ruckman though

Vultures - major loss in M.Hamill and A.Tarrant, they will do what they do recruiting wise and pick the scraps out of the other clubs but dont have the $$ to pay

Redland - best recruit M.King, they should play kids this year then recruit 4 absoulute guns the following year and watch them go

I know southport are not as dominant as they used to be speedy, but I am still pretty confident that they will field a team lol

Sh%& sorry sharks fans (both of you), bring back David Bain,Cameron Obrien,David Okeefe and the wizz (Capper) andwhatch them go, i reckon they will finish 4th, if they dont make the finals this year does the named coach of the century (QAFL) get the bullet? or back to piney cup:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i will have a go??

Thunder - will be to good with resources, players, they will turnover players every year i think, 12 home games, if they fiinish in the top three home prelim and away they go

Aspley - some handy additions, shir was finished at this level (body and commitment) was a good player though, must play the kids with Payne,Johnstone (hope he proves us all wrong) and Buchanan. if Evans is in their best 22 they will struggle cost them a final last year poor discipline at a crucial time

Suns - same as what everyone else says, i just hope there are some proper rules in place for top ups how about giving some kids from nth NSW a run growth area for the AFL?

Mside - great mid and fwd lines still, major concern over back 6 no C.Brown

Broady - have picked up some good players Zorko obviosly is a big loss got some great kids boston etc

Lions - will have a better list this year Zorko to win grogan (just joking hope he plays every senior game)

Lab - will improve with players coming back from injuries havent got any ruckman though

Vultures - major loss in M.Hamill and A.Tarrant, they will do what they do recruiting wise and pick the scraps out of the other clubs but dont have the $$ to pay

Redland - best recruit M.King, they should play kids this year then recruit 4 absoulute guns the following year and watch them go

Aspley have lost at least 17 players from either there Senior or reserve sides. I am sure that having to gell with that many new recruits will be hard. I maybe incorrect with a couple but there is some quality footballers that they have lost. I am sure there more than this list.

Matt SHIR
Jamie SHEAHAN
Dan ROY
Brent EVANS
Sam STAVENUITER
Calum BUCHANAN?
Daniel BRITTAIN
Tyson HARTWIG
Steven BRITTAIN
Mathew TUCKER
Brandon BACKWELL?
James BRAIN
Grayson McIVOR
Mathew TREWHELLA
Jeff TEALE
Brendan PAGE
Tom FALCONER
Andrew McMAHON
Dan Cambell

Thunder
Sharks
Suns
Hornets
Panthers

On the fringe:

Vultures
Bombers
Cats
Lions
Tigers

A lot of crystal ball gazing going on at the moment so I thought I would put my two bob's worth in.

Top 5 in no particular order at end of home & away rounds

Suns
Aspley
Tigers
cats
Thunder

throw a blanket over the rest
Sharks
Pathers
bombers
Vultures Lions

Its going to be very close this year and I think the standard is going up again and thats got to be good for footy in Qld

Disagree Maurie - one doesn't pay tax bc it is a charitable organisation basically, the other does bc it is a local football club, serving a beneficial purpose for sure but not exactly providing the same sort of service that a surf club has been set up to do. If Kurrawa has enough money to throw at a football club then maybe they should look firstly at fellow surf clubs in the region that struggle financially and help them out instead, thats all i would say. The downside is to the beach community that it has been set up to serve - don't worry the same issues get raised up on the sunshine coast too. When you have clubs like Nothcliffe that spend close to a million $ a year on surfsports alone then I start to get a bit cynical when you see tin rattlers in the street.

Most recent example os usch an arrangement was Zillmere Eagles and Shaw Sports (aka Kedron Wavell Services Club) and we all know how that finished up !!
Dozens of examples apart from that one and plenty more recent thunderdoc. That's probably the most recent example of a (1) footy club in the (2) top AFL league that has (3) failed. A fairly narrow perspective. Look next door at the Club now taken on by Aspley Broncos League that also has Kirby Road and the Club Bunya. An ongoing success by all accounts. Then look at all the "Ribot" clubs in the South East corner.

The Charity side of the Surf Life Saving movement is completely separate from the Licensed Club Operations.

Dozens of examples apart from that one and plenty more recent thunderdoc. That's probably the most recent example of a (1) footy club in the (2) top AFL league that has (3) failed. A fairly narrow perspective. Look next door at the Club now taken on by Aspley Broncos League that also has Kirby Road and the Club Bunya. An ongoing success by all accounts. Then look at all the "Ribot" clubs in the South East corner.

The Charity side of the Surf Life Saving movement is completely separate from the Licensed Club Operations.

Except it funds the lifesaving operations. Chook raffles don't.:confused:

Not saying other clubs shouldn't get into bed with each other, just that surf clubs have a core business and that is to ensure their equipment is state of the art, no stone is left unturned to ensure that their beach is the safest it can be, not to pull another sports club out of the mire - just my opinion having seen it first hand the incredible amount of money some of these surf clubs make. Would shock alot of ppl if they actually knew what it was spent on sometimes....

Disagree Maurie - one doesn't pay tax bc it is a charitable organisation basically, the other does bc it is a local football club, serving a beneficial purpose for sure but not exactly providing the same sort of service that a surf club has been set up to do. If Kurrawa has enough money to throw at a football club then maybe they should look firstly at fellow surf clubs in the region that struggle financially and help them out instead, thats all i would say. The downside is to the beach community that it has been set up to serve - don't worry the same issues get raised up on the sunshine coast too. When you have clubs like Nothcliffe that spend close to a million $ a year on surfsports alone then I start to get a bit cynical when you see tin rattlers in the street.
Wrong SMY. Maurie is on the mark. Refer above post. Surf Lifesaving Queensland and Kurrawa SLSC are completely different entities to the Licensed Club. The former a charity, the second a not for profit entity set up to provide funding for whoever it chooses.

Gee whiz Dogmatic - talk about splitting hairs! One only exists bc of the other! And yes it can choose who it donates money to, just logically it would suggest that the surf club who it is directly attached to might be a fairly high stakeholder?? Would you like to be the one to explain to the Courier Mail why the licensed club can make a profit of $1 million but only gave $100K to the surf club where 10 lives were lost bc of faulty equipment?

Interesting meeting at Vultures last night between certain senior players and new coach.Top line players ready to walk,Gililand basically held to ransom if he leaves.And he wants to leave.

My top 5 in no particular order is Suns,Panthers,Cats,Thunder and Aspley.

Goal kicking Ewing.
Grogan to Illett

Gee whiz Dogmatic - talk about splitting hairs! One only exists bc of the other! And yes it can choose who it donates money to, just logically it would suggest that the surf club who it is directly attached to might be a fairly high stakeholder?? Would you like to be the one to explain to the Courier Mail why the licensed club can make a profit of $1 million but only gave $100K to the surf club where 10 lives were lost bc of faulty equipment?
Cannot argue with accountants SMY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back