staminade
maurie
thunderdoc
chikka ferguson
Big E
kid a
elong
Luckyme12

I have assumed Stuyd & Stuyd1 are the same person? elong & Luckyme12 only 1 for not putting tips in.

There is nothing better than lifting the standard of the competition and if that means the Suns & Loins have strong lists the so be it. It is up top the individual clubs to lift there standards on and off the field.

As I understand it the Suns had some five to six top up players from local clubs, some that had been playing reserves footy the week before, so they are developing kids with in a strong senior group of players.

Well done to Morningside & Labrador, great wins interstate especialy the Tigers thumping of the eastern conference premier team.

You dont think Fraser is on $300k a year????? I would be amazed if he isnt!

2nd year of contract - signed when he came off contract at Collingwood in 2010 - was Collingwood Vice Captain in 2008.

You have to remember that he was one of only a limited number of older heads recruited by Suns. Rest were youngsters off draft where they would have picked up on minimum $ contracts. $ wasnt the issue when signing

Yeah I do but think that the entire NEAFL salary cap would be greater than $150K as well!

There is nothing better than lifting the standard of the competition and if that means the Suns & Loins have strong lists the so be it. It is up top the individual clubs to lift there standards on and off the field.

As I understand it the Suns had some five to six top up players from local clubs, some that had been playing reserves footy the week before, so they are developing kids with in a strong senior group of players.

Well done to Morningside & Labrador, great wins interstate especialy the Tigers thumping of the eastern conference premier team.

May be god to lift the standard but not sure there is anything to be gained by creating a lop sided comp. The Suns / Lions would demolish NEAFL sides with their best line ups I would think. You are comparing full time footballers with part timers. Unless you can think of a way that allows Morningside and co a way of competing professionally then there will always be a gulf.

Even though Brisbane had a full list and were expected to win by plenty I thought my beloved Cats just went through the motions.Lucky not to lose by much more.Have to improve 100% plus to even feature in finals.Only rd 2 but will want to win this week as hard to come back from 0/3.

Your a A Bit harsh Staminade on the Cats playing group when you say " JUST WENT THROUGH THE MOTIONS when you consider they basically were 27 points down for 3 quarters and they game only blew out in the last 15 Minutes and the lions were the beneficiary,s of some pretty dodgy decisions inside the 50 which all resulted in Goals. The Lions and Suns at Full strength would beat every other Non Pro team in the NEAFL. But I do agree they must win next week or it will be much tougher to make the finals from 0-3

And how do you propose they do that Pointer? All NEAFL clubs have a salary cap to participate in this comp. Suns and Lions don't.

So which NEAFL club could afford a McQualter, Fraser, McKenzie, Hoad, Horsley,
Dixon, Toy, Magin, Day, Gilbee, Patrick on their salary cap?

It's a cop out to simply say that NEAFL clubs need to do better. Yes, all clubs can improve off field if they have the financial resources - must don't- and most have hard working volunteers who compete with AFL funded machines with outstanding facilities, training aids, medical teams, etc.

Seems there is a distinct inequality in a combination that is supposed to be a level playing field. I heard that Swans can only play 14 players in their version of the NEAFL....why the differences?

Agree it's great to have them in the comp, but the allowances need tinkering...what we saw on the weekend isn't good for the comp...and I aint here to defend Southport!

On the lack of media from NEAFL,are they going to announce Rd1 Rising star and Syd Guilford votes from last week.Notice the Eastern League has their Rising Star on the web site.No match reports from rd2 on web atm.Eastern conference streaming some of their week end games ala Thunder.Our football is of a higher standard,Labrador showed that over week end by thumping their premiers,our media is shithouse.What is going on?

Must agree on this - waited for the local NEAFL results on 4-TAB this morning from 6.30 normal time broadcast to 8.00am close and heard SA &Tas Results (twice). With a professional run down by each states representitive - Richard Champion then apologetically ended up saying that they had been trying to get hold of Funky Miller for a round up without any luck all morning.

If that does not show us who really cares about our game up here then nothing does - the footy record is a disgrace, the media coverage in general is poor and the lack of officials at the games each week is worse.

Funky should be asked if he thinks that the kitchen is too hot if so then he should step aside and they AFLQ should get someone else in who can handle the job. I am sure Marty King wOuld make a great media manager - Good work by Peter Blutcher in preview and review but he has a full time job in another place, come on AFLQ promote your game.

The early part of the season has given a few more ideas on how teams are going. Still a very even comp by the looks of it.

Once the suns and lions get their injuries and they start 'managing' game time into players they will come back to the field a little bit. I reckon the debate will lessen a little bit then. Look at the Lions injury toll the past few years and they have finished last and second last. The teams who have drawn them early are unlucky this season.

Going away for easter so better get the tips in early:

Swans over Suns
Lions over GWS
Labrador over Vultures
Broadbeach over Morningside
Aspley over Redland
Southport over NT

Must agree on this - waited for the local NEAFL results on 4-TAB this morning from 6.30 normal time broadcast to 8.00am close and heard SA &Tas Results (twice). With a professional run down by each states representitive - Richard Champion then apologetically ended up saying that they had been trying to get hold of Funky Miller for a round up without any luck all morning.

If that does not show us who really cares about our game up here then nothing does - the footy record is a disgrace, the media coverage in general is poor and the lack of officials at the games each week is worse.

Funky should be asked if he thinks that the kitchen is too hot if so then he should step aside and they AFLQ should get someone else in who can handle the job. I am sure Marty King wOuld make a great media manager - Good work by Peter Blutcher in preview and review but he has a full time job in another place, come on AFLQ promote your game.

I reckon Funky should be given a bit of time and leanience on this one. Pretty fresh into the job and no CEO to guide / assist him until recently. Once they get their feet on the ground things will improve. It is interesting to note that the Eastern conference appears ahead in terms of live game streaming and having a weekly footy chat. Not too hard or expensive but just probably need to have time to get the wheels in motion.

Round 2 Tips

Pointer

Lifes a Beach

2010premier

stuyd1

Billybunter

Speedyunit

footyfanatic1

bballscout

staminade

maurie

thunderdoc

chikka ferguson

Big E

kid a

elong

Luckyme12

I have assumed Stuyd & Stuyd1 are the same person? elong & Luckyme12 only 1 for not putting tips in.

Lifes a Beach,
correct

Dont quite agree bball....

I reckon its great that the standard of the competition is continually being lifted, but thats not what is happening. The standard of 2 teams is being lifted at the expense of the competition. For mine 18 listed players is too many.

Southport looked all class in their Round 1 clash over Redland by 10 goals, yet come up against a Gold Coast Suns outfit full of AFL players and get smacked up by a bigger margin. Suns Reserves included former Collingwood Ruckman Josh Fraser - his annual salary would be double the entire salary cap for NEAFL Clubs. How can this be equitable?

Sure - Southport were stiff striking the Suns in their opening NEAFL match with a full squad to select, but I reckon the effort to look after Suns gives them a free kick. I understand the rules are different re playing lists if Suns make finals...not sure why this rule wouldnt be enforced throughout the year. Will be interesting to see what occurs this year if they make finals!!

Glad Vultures didnt strike them in round 2. Would have been a worse day that it already was!

Yeah Maurie,
maybe next years fixture should have the Suns and Lions playing each other in round 1, then both of them playing the Swans and Giants in round 2, then a bye for both in round 3.Thus it wont be till round 4 when they come up against a local club.With this structure it means the senior Lions and Suns sides would of played 3 games and no doubt some injuries would of occurred by then, hence their ressies not able to field a full list.Also feel they should only be able to field 14 listed players in a game.
Also in regards to the Lions on the weekend, they had late withdrawls in Buchanan and Hawksley(both have a number of senior games under their belt), Zorko out injured, and Wrigley not even in the selected side until the late withdraws by the above mentioned.I mean,s**t, Wrigley was one of the better players in the comp last year, yet he cant get a spot in the fully listed Lions ressies. This has to be addressed.
If the Lions/Suns senior side have a good run with injuries during the season, their ressies will take out the comp as premiers,... if rules such as 14 listed players only allowed is not implemented.
Dont get me wrong, its great for the comp to have these 2 sides , but some level playing fields must be applied.

And how do you propose they do that Pointer? All NEAFL clubs have a salary cap to participate in this comp. Suns and Lions don't.

So which NEAFL club could afford a McQualter, Fraser, McKenzie, Hoad, Horsley,
Dixon, Toy, Magin, Day, Gilbee, Patrick on their salary cap?

It's a cop out to simply say that NEAFL clubs need to do better. Yes, all clubs can improve off field if they have the financial resources - must don't- and most have hard working volunteers who compete with AFL funded machines with outstanding facilities, training aids, medical teams, etc.

Seems there is a distinct inequality in a combination that is supposed to be a level playing field. I heard that Swans can only play 14 players in their version of the NEAFL....why the differences?

Agree it's great to have them in the comp, but the allowances need tinkering...what we saw on the weekend isn't good for the comp...and I aint here to defend Southport!

Spot on Maurie - is just plain doctrine to state "others must improve". In a normal comp that is ok ie the PHC but its not a normal comp. As Stuyd has said there are quality player not even able to get a game - this can't be good for the development of footy in the State. Maybe blokes who have been drafted from AFLQ clubs go and play for these clubs each week? Any shortfall for the Lions/Suns is made up of boys from the Lions Academy / Suns Academy respectively. Not sure but it is glib to state others must improve.

I'm with you too Maurie. No matter how you look at it, the clubs can't be expected to compete.

There is a basic choice here to run with one of two main objectives. Be competitive at that increased level or develop local juniors. The two can't go hand in hand. We are talking about AFL listed players. Admittedly many are young and still learning their craft but they're the best in the Country as selected at the draft. Who can compete with them? Not other local up and comers. If they were that good, they would have been drafted too! Therefore to suggest that the competition needs to lift right up to AFL list level is ridiculous given the current supply of talent and that expected to flow through even in the medium term.

On the flip side, the option is to put together sides that can compete. What would they look like and where would the players come from. In order to attract that breadth of mature talent, the number of teams would have to decrease markedly with a dramatic increase in salary caps. Either trend would be a disaster for 'local' football.

Finally, AFL created this competition so AFL reserve teams could get a good work out when not selected for the top side. What benefit is there in a 10+ goal thumping of what would normally be regarded as a quality side? Not really the work out they'd be hoping for, physically or mentally I'd expect.

I can't see anything but losers in this unless the restrictions are taken back up a notch. The only other hope for a competitive competition across the board is for injuries to take a rapid rise but no-one wants to see that happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The purpose of the NEAFL is to improve the standard of the competition so as to serve two purposes.
1) Promote the development of local players and exposing them to more professional standards of playing and coaching.
2)To provide a professional competition in which to service the development needs of the 4 AFL clubs included. (And the NT)
We have seen a huge improvement in the standard from all clubs over the past two seasons and this will need to continually improve. If Brisbane or Suns had 3-4 more injuries at this time of year (which Brisbane did last year - even though they had a few wins early also)
Salary Caps have nothing to do with it - my club certainly has no worries. I was surprised to here Normy protest. The competition is not a level playing field anyway. Just ask Mt Gravatt, Morningside and Broady.
The AFL need to fund the other clubs for more coaching resources and better facilities.
West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide would all struggle to win a game in their comps if they had stand alone teams.
First people whip the AFL reserves for not respecting the comp - six months later same people are knocking them for being too good.

Have to agree with you riodj. No coaches or players complaining about the Lions side. In fact I think the coach after the game pointed out the standard that his side needs to attain asap!
Thought Broady was unlucky in the first quarter not to be further ahead. Disgraceful umpiring in the first term.
I must admit I thought the cats would be 2 wins straight up. But did not realise that at least ten changes from last year - totally new midfield takes a little time to get it together. This is a new side the cats are effectively playing. Saw Zorko on the sidelines in his Brisbane clobber. Oh how we miss him!

The purpose of the NEAFL is to improve the standard of the competition so as to serve two purposes.
1) Promote the development of local players and exposing them to more professional standards of playing and coaching.
2)To provide a professional competition in which to service the development needs of the 4 AFL clubs included. (And the NT)
We have seen a huge improvement in the standard from all clubs over the past two seasons and this will need to continually improve. If Brisbane or Suns had 3-4 more injuries at this time of year (which Brisbane did last year - even though they had a few wins early also)
Salary Caps have nothing to do with it - my club certainly has no worries. I was surprised to here Normy protest. The competition is not a level playing field anyway. Just ask Mt Gravatt, Morningside and Broady.
The AFL need to fund the other clubs for more coaching resources and better facilities.
West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide would all struggle to win a game in their comps if they had stand alone teams.
First people whip the AFL reserves for not respecting the comp - six months later same people are knocking them for being too good.[/QUOTE]

Yep - good point mate. I was pretty vocal back then saying that the NEAFL isn't set up for clubs to "win premierships", its to create a comp for AFL 2nds teams to compete and develop - unfortunately the rest are just bit players to a degree. Have to agree with you now...

Saying this if you want unadulterated comp, the PHC is a great standard of footy with that suburban feel to it IMO (and every side is trying to win the comp...:D)

First people whip the AFL reserves for not respecting the comp - six months later same people are knocking them for being too good.[/QUOTE]

Yep - good point mate. I was pretty vocal back then saying that the NEAFL isn't set up for clubs to "win premierships", its to create a comp for AFL 2nds teams to compete and develop - unfortunately the rest are just bit players to a degree. Have to agree with you now...

Saying this if you want unadulterated comp, the PHC is a great standard of footy with that suburban feel to it IMO (and every side is trying to win the comp...:D)
Missing the point I was making guys.

I haven't once complained about supposed tanking or disrespecting the comp by any teams. I would prefer the competition to have parameters that aren't changed and every team to go their hardest each year on a relatively level playing field.

My point was purely for club administrators to be told what is expected of them. Is it junior development or is it rolling out as competitive an outfit as possible? Or do they make up their own minds at their own peril? The two do not sit entirely well together and require a significantly different approach.

I see clubs being bagged over the last few years for buying in recruits to improve competitiveness and allegedly not developing young local talent. Can't have your cake and eat it too fellas. If clubs need to quickly and continually lift their standards on the field, something will have to give. What are you prepared to see go?

Round 3 tips:

Suns over Swans
Lions over Giants
Tigers over Vultures
Cats over Panthers
Hornets over Bombers
Thunder over Sharks (southport with a tough fixture first half of season)

And Dogmatic I think you are right too! :confused: Bottom line in my opinion is that if you want to play in the NEAFL you have to accept it is a compromised comp because of the 2 AFL sides.
I thought it was a pretty poor post though for someone to write that the remaining NEAFL clubs have to improve though, step up etc. Thats all very well to say if it was possible but it obviously isn't. Saying that clubs have "to become more professional" is just glib - it means jack s**t in reality. Most, if not all, of the nEAFL clubs do things as well, if not better than similar standards of comps in other states but if you can't afford to put on fulltime coaches, etc then why send the house broke by trying.

To my mind it would be great to win the NEAFL premiership but even better if my club had 4-6 young kids drafted every year and 2-3 of them played 100 games of league footy.

I'm with you too Maurie. No matter how you look at it, the clubs can't be expected to compete.

There is a basic choice here to run with one of two main objectives. Be competitive at that increased level or develop local juniors. The two can't go hand in hand. We are talking about AFL listed players. Admittedly many are young and still learning their craft but they're the best in the Country as selected at the draft. Who can compete with them? Not other local up and comers. If they were that good, they would have been drafted too! Therefore to suggest that the competition needs to lift right up to AFL list level is ridiculous given the current supply of talent and that expected to flow through even in the medium term.

On the flip side, the option is to put together sides that can compete. What would they look like and where would the players come from. In order to attract that breadth of mature talent, the number of teams would have to decrease markedly with a dramatic increase in salary caps. Either trend would be a disaster for 'local' football.

Finally, AFL created this competition so AFL reserve teams could get a good work out when not selected for the top side. What benefit is there in a 10+ goal thumping of what would normally be regarded as a quality side? Not really the work out they'd be hoping for, physically or mentally I'd expect.

I can't see anything but losers in this unless the restrictions are taken back up a notch. The only other hope for a competitive competition across the board is for injuries to take a rapid rise but no-one wants to see that happen.

I can't understand what the problem is here - 14 or 16 maximum listed players for each AFL side in the NEAFL competition each week (full lists when playing other AFL reserve sides), with the balance of players not selected in these sides (subject to availability) then be loaned to current NEAFL sides like with Redland last week - win win for all.

Most clubs would welcome a listed Lions or Suns player on a weekly permit rotation system on occasions to enhance their playing stocks and lift the standard a little more without compromising their club's or the competition standards - all players deserve to play footy when available and to have any number of listed or rookie players from our 2 AFL sides not playing on weekends to me seems crazy.

Finals may be different as in my opinion only registered club players should be allowed to play finals for their club, but in the interim lets get as many players on the park each weekend and this indirectly will enhance and lift the standard of the NEAFL competition.

Well that fired you all up. What was forgotten was that the Suns had 5 or so top up academy players in its side last week, yes they had some great players in there as well but that is the point, they are developing talent and I think the standard of footy has dramatically improved over the past three years as a result of all clubs realising what they have to do to compete.

If you want Qld footy to improve and as many have said on here, try to reach the southern states standards, we have to raise the bar, which all clubs are doing. You cannot improve if you keep the status quo.

I agree entirely whith Smy it would be great to win a NEAFL premiership but to consistantly get Qld kids drafted each year is the ultimate aim which in turn will help improve the standard that we play in.

Well that fired you all up. What was forgotten was that the Suns had 5 or so top up academy players in its side last week, yes they had some great players in there as well but that is the point, they are developing talent and I think the standard of footy has dramatically improved over the past three years as a result of all clubs realising what they have to do to compete.

If you want Qld footy to improve and as many have said on here, try to reach the southern states standards, we have to raise the bar, which all clubs are doing. You cannot improve if you keep the status quo.

I agree entirely whith Smy it would be great to win a NEAFL premiership but to consistantly get Qld kids drafted each year is the ultimate aim which in turn will help improve the standard that we play in.

Its not like the suns and lions won by 20 goals... both games were competitive werent they for 3 quarters

Round 3

UWS Giants v Brisbane Lions
7-Apr
1pm
BISP
NT Thunder v Southport
7-Apr
3.20pm
Traeger Park - Alice
Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns
7-Apr
10.40am