Universal Love Neil Balme

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s all get behind and support Balme he has a tough fight and lots of love and support
If this is about his epilepsy, I know how he feels as I have had it for most of my life. All the best Neil

I was at the Richmond 1973 Legends function last Wednesday night with Balmey, KB, Sheeds and Bryan Wood... I can tell you now that you would not know anything was wrong with him health wise. Was in great spirits, plenty of laughs, happy to talk to everyone about anything and everything.
Balmeys doing quite well considering what he's fighting against.

Is this a recent problem for him or has he suffered with it for a while? I’ve read his book and I don’t recall him mentioning it in there.

He was my favourite player back in 72/73 and I had his number 21 on my duffel coat. Then he disappointed me and went and got married, so I switched my affection over to Merv Keane. Fickle young 14 years olds, hey?

Seriously though, hope he’s coping okay. Have always loved him.

I read his book too and the only reference to any health issues for Balmey was that he had begun to forget things. He would start a story and then go blank, struggle to remember what he was talking about and then begin a story about something completely different (actually sounds a lot like me after I've had a few:tonguewink:).

The greatest trait that was highlighted over and over again in the book, was his social intelligence and ability to get the best out of people. His unwavering positivity and ability to improve those around him through care and support.

He would not spend a second feeling self pity for any health issue. He'll be all about supporting other around him and getting back to his calling - building people up and making connections with others. Funny to think that the onfield terror from the '70's is such a rock and caring granddad figure for so many today.

Good luck Balmey - you are a legend of the Tigers, the AFL and society in general. He has transcended them all now.

Is this a recent problem for him or has he suffered with it for a while? I’ve read his book and I don’t recall him mentioning it in there.

He was my favourite player back in 72/73 and I had his number 21 on my duffel coat. Then he disappointed me and went and got married, so I switched my affection over to Merv Keane. Fickle young 14 years olds, hey?

Seriously though, hope he’s coping okay. Have always loved him.
Out of the frying pan into the fire there Freddy. Big bad Merv Keane.

Last edited:
I read his book too and the only reference to any health issues for Balmey was that he had begun to forget things. He would start a story and then go blank, struggle to remember what he was talking about and then begin a story about something completely different (actually sounds a lot like me after I've had a few:tonguewink:).
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAaaaa...been there and done t

Out of the frying pan into the fire there Freedy. Big bad Merv Keane.

Actually Mervyn Keane was an absolute sweetheart. I lived in and went to school in Richmond and he worked at the Post Office just down the street. He would park his little red Torana outside our school.

My best friend and I got up the courage to go in and speak to him and he was just lovely. A real gentleman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually Mervyn Keane was an absolute sweetheart. I lived in and went to school in Richmond and he worked at the Post Office just down the street. He would park his little red Torana outside our school.

My best friend and I got up the courage to go in and speak to him and he was just lovely. A real gentleman.
Too right...
He also came to a business where I worked....MK was a sales rep...and always stopped for a chat!

Has the club or Balmey come out publicly with this information? Probably shouldn't be sharing personal medical information unless that is the case.

Has the club or Balmey come out publicly with this information? Probably shouldn't be sharing personal medical information unless that is the case.
Yes, Balme was on the news recently talking about it. Apparently he is one of the fortunate 33% of epilepsy sufferers for whom medication actually works to alleviate the problem.

Listened to Sam Newman and Don Scott interview John Nichols on the You Cannot be Serious podcast recently.

Nichols has an eye brow raising take on Balme. In summary, a lovely guy off field. Didn't respect him as a player, was a cheat who king hit people. A very Carlton centric view obviously.

Listened to Sam Newman and Don Scott interview John Nichols on the You Cannot be Serious podcast recently.

Nichols has an eye brow raising take on Balme. In summary, a lovely guy off field. Didn't respect him as a player, was a cheat who king hit people. A very Carlton centric view obviously.
Interesting coming from a crook who spent time in the big house for ripping people off. Nicholls was a prick on and off the field.

heck that guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back