New Inquest in to the death of Mark Haines - Tamworth

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is, was Mark murdered and then placed on the tracks to make it look like some sort of accident.

Really good podcast here covers it.

It was early morning on January 16, 1988, when the body of 17-year-old Gomeroi teenager Mark Anthony Haines was discovered on train tracks south of Tamworth in northern NSW.

Thirty-six years later, the circumstances leading to the teen's death remain a mystery to his family and the wider community.

An autopsy showed the 17-year-old died from a traumatic head injury and suffered substantial blood loss.

But there have always been questions over whether those injuries occurred on the tracks, or whether his body was placed there.

From yesterday, ABC News, 8 April 2024:

'In her opening remarks to the court, [New South Wales Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame] urged anyone who could shed light on the case to come forward.

"I think it is likely someone knows something we don't know now," she said.

"It is never too late to come forward if you have information, and I say that on the public record."

In his opening statement, counsel assisting the coroner Chris McGorey said a key question for the inquest to consider was how the 17-year-old came to be on the train tracks.

"What was the ground like on that day — was the soil muddy because of the rain?" Mr McGorey said.

"If Mark accessed the train line during this weather, would it be reasonable to expect some marks on his clothes?"

A previous inquest heard despite the rain and the muddy ground, Mark's shoes were perfectly clean. ...

Last year, homicide detectives handed a review of the case to the coroner and increased the reward for information relating to Mark's death to $1 million.'

From the Northern Daily Leader, 8 April 2024 (paywalled)

'[Mark Haines'] body was discovered on the train tracks, about eight kilometres south of Tamworth, between Werris Creek Road and Warral Road, on January 16, 1988. ...

Mark's body was located just before the Bithramere Road level crossing at about 6:10am after a train driver saw the teenager's body laying on the tracks.

The 17-year-old was last seen at about 2am at the intersection of Wilburtree and Edward street, by his girlfriend at the time, following a night out in Tamworth. ...

Mr McGorey told the court it's expected the fresh inquest will look at how the initial investigation was conducted in the wake of Mark's death.

The court heard there was only one hour and four minutes between when Mark's body was found and when it was moved to be taken to Tamworth hospital.

No photographs of Mark's body were taken before it was moved, and the train which police believed struck the teenager was not seized for forensic examination.

Mark's clothing was also not formally seized by police.

The court heard part of the inquest will investigate a stolen car which was located near the train tracks when Mark's body was discovered.

Mr McGorey told the inquest a white Holden Torana was located about 300 metres down the tracks, towards West Tamworth, which had previously been reported as stolen from a Wilburtree Street home.

An examination of damage to the vehicle after Mark's body was located found the car was believed to have been involved in a roll-over before it was dumped near the train tracks. ...

National Justice Project solicitor Jason Hesse read a statement on behalf of Mark's sister Lorna Haines and brother Ron Haines, who were both just teenagers when the first inquest was held.

"It's important for us to be here as adults, to be able to ask questions, and hear answers to those questions," Mr Hesse read.

"We will never stop until justice has been served." ...

"We're hoping other families will never have to go through the same situation that our family has endured over the last 36 years," ...'

From yesterday's Northern Daily Leader, 9 April 2024 (paywalled):

'A railway worker who was the first person to locate the body of a teenager dead on the train tracks in Tamworth, has told an inquest he believes the teenager's "horrific" injuries were not a result of being struck by a train. ...

Former assistant station master Glenn Bryant appeared in the witness box for the second day of the inquest [Tuesday 9 April] ...

The inquest heard Mr Bryant was working at the West Tamworth station when he was advised the train, which had departed at 5:50am, had driven over a body just before the Bithramere Road level crossing. ...

When he first saw Mark's body laying between the tracks, Mr Bryant told the inquest he noticed how clean the teenager's blue and white shoes were.

Mr Bryant said his own shoes and trousers were covered with red mud, which he had picked up from walking towards the railway line towards Mark's body.

"There was a fair bit of mud on my boots that came off onto my trousers," Mr Bryant said.

"He [Mark] would not have walked there [train tracks] otherwise his shoes would have not been as clean as they were." ...

While giving evidence in the current inquest, Mr Bryant said he was "deadly positive" there was a white towel placed under Mark's head when he arrived at the scene.

"I've always maintained it was a white towel, that was one of the things that stuck in my mind," Mr Bryant said.

"There was some blood on the towel because he had been laying on it."

A barrister representing three police officers involved in the inquest asked Mr Bryant why the towel under Mark's head hadn't been included in either of his original statements.

He said Mr Bryant had included a "very detailed" account of what he witnessed at the scene, but had never mentioned a towel under Mark's head.

The barrister also asked Mr Bryant why he had not told police he had a "different opinion" about Mark being killed as a result of the train striking him.

"It's not my place to challenge the police or give them my opinion," Mr Bryant said.'

I’m glad there is another inquest into this. It really sounds like the original police “investigation” was an abominable dismissal of anything other than their prejudicial perception of Mark. I use quotation marks because I wouldn’t even call it an investigation.

I suspect the inquest outcome would be what Crispian Chan discovered. I hope this gives the family the piece of mind that the first inquest didn't.
Thanks for the info - I’ll have a listen to the podcast, although I imagine it will be infuriating listening to how prejudicial the police were (and possibly are).

Thanks for the info - I’ll have a listen to the podcast, although I imagine it will be infuriating listening to how prejudicial the police were (and possibly are).
The family think so. There were obvious flaws in the investigation. Lack of trust in the police meant that people weren't providing police with with information. Possibly because it was a local investigation rather than one from State Crime Command. This occurred in about 2016 after Allan Clarke contacted Greens MP David Shoebridge. I am not discounting it.

Having said this, the standard of policing in the 1980s was very different. The number of missing persons cases that the teenage girls were treated like runaways. You only need to look at the Amanda Robinson and Robyn Hickie to name a couple. https://www.smh.com.au/national/cor...er-missing-women-murders-20020705-gdffeq.html. Lynette Simms is another. It took 30 years for police to find that Ursula Barwick matched an unidentified body because she used a different name.

Allan Clarke investigating the death of Mark Haines for about 5 years prior to the Podcast.

He has reported on Mark Haines under several platforms the latest being the podcast.

All of these shows and reports are very similar at different stages of the investigation. If you want to wait for the Coronial Inquiry then probably don't look at these.

Buzzfeed October 2016

SBS Cold Justice Show: 2017 (Account needed)

Buzzfeed 2017

ABC

Blood on the Tracks first 2 episodes are on youtube

Australian Story

Couldn't find 2nd episode.

The family think so. There were obvious flaws in the investigation. Lack of trust in the police meant that people weren't providing police with with information. Possibly because it was a local investigation rather than one from State Crime Command. This occurred in about 2016 after Allan Clarke contacted Greens MP David Shoebridge. I am not discounting it.

Having said this, the standard of policing in the 1980s was very different. The number of missing persons cases that the teenage girls were treated like runaways. You only need to look at the Amanda Robinson and Robyn Hickie to name a couple. https://www.smh.com.au/national/cor...er-missing-women-murders-20020705-gdffeq.html. Lynette Simms is another. It took 30 years for police to find that Ursula Barwick matched an unidentified body because she used a different name.

Allan Clarke investigating the death of Mark Haines for about 5 years prior to the Podcast.

He has reported on Mark Haines under several platforms the latest being the podcast.

All of these shows and reports are very similar at different stages of the investigation. If you want to wait for the Coronial Inquiry then probably don't look at these.

Buzzfeed October 2016

SBS Cold Justice Show: 2017 (Account needed)

Buzzfeed 2017

ABC

Blood on the Tracks first 2 episodes are on youtube

Australian Story

Couldn't find 2nd episode.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Inquest on hold for new dates to be set down, court hears of 'further evidence', Northern Daily Leader, 18 April 2024 (paywalled):

'No witnesses will be called or examined on the last two days of a two week inquest into the death of Gomeroi teenager Mark Anthony Haines. ...

On Thursday, April 18, the court heard the inquest would be adjourned until the following day when new dates would be decided.

Counsel assisting the coroner Chris McGorey told the court that witnesses who had not yet given evidence may still be called when the inquest returned at a "later date".

Mr McGorey told the court it was anticipated "further evidence" would be prepared. ...

The inquest was expected to run for two weeks, and had previously heard evidence from police officers, paramedics, railway workers and friends of Mark.

Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the inquest that it would be "hard" to get so many people together again at the same time and place.

She said if the inquest returned to Tamworth it could be a longer wait for a new date, compared to court room availability elsewhere in the state.

Outside the court house, Mark's uncle Don Craigie said he could not shed any light on the reason for the delay in the inquest.

"I'm at a loss," Mr Craigie said.

The inquest will continue in Tamworth on Friday, April 19, for new dates to be set down.

Support is available for anyone who may be feeling distressed. You can contact 13YARN; Lifeline on 13 11 14; beyondblue on 1300 224 636.'

Inquest on hold for new dates to be set down, court hears of 'further evidence', Northern Daily Leader, 18 April 2024 (paywalled):

'No witnesses will be called or examined on the last two days of a two week inquest into the death of Gomeroi teenager Mark Anthony Haines. ...

On Thursday, April 18, the court heard the inquest would be adjourned until the following day when new dates would be decided.

Counsel assisting the coroner Chris McGorey told the court that witnesses who had not yet given evidence may still be called when the inquest returned at a "later date".

Mr McGorey told the court it was anticipated "further evidence" would be prepared. ...

The inquest was expected to run for two weeks, and had previously heard evidence from police officers, paramedics, railway workers and friends of Mark.

Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the inquest that it would be "hard" to get so many people together again at the same time and place.

She said if the inquest returned to Tamworth it could be a longer wait for a new date, compared to court room availability elsewhere in the state.

Outside the court house, Mark's uncle Don Craigie said he could not shed any light on the reason for the delay in the inquest.

"I'm at a loss," Mr Craigie said.

The inquest will continue in Tamworth on Friday, April 19, for new dates to be set down.

Support is available for anyone who may be feeling distressed. You can contact 13YARN; Lifeline on 13 11 14; beyondblue on 1300 224 636.'

"Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the inquest that it would be "hard" to get so many people together again at the same time and place."

That is so sad for the family. Lets hope the delay is not too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the inquest that it would be "hard" to get so many people together again at the same time and place."

That is so sad for the family. Lets hope the delay is not too long.
It seems terrible to me. I hope there's a better explanation for the delay than just "further evidence" might be prepared. I find it hard to believe that anything might have emerged in the hearings this week or last week that couldn't have been investigated before now.

It seems terrible to me. I hope there's a better explanation for the delay than just "further evidence" might be prepared. I find it hard to believe that anything might have emerged in the hearings this week or last week that couldn't have been investigated before now.
You are on the money. They have been talking about a new inquest for a couple of years from the investigations I have done. Maybe it was just campaigning for an inquest. Maybe someone who had evidence didn't know about the inquest and heard the news coverage. There was no mention of it upcoming on the Unravel Podcasts. I didn't hear about it until the day before it starts.

Some coronial inquests are stopped if they think the coroner thinks charges should be laid.

Last edited:
From Family of Mark Haines 'disappointed' after inquest hit with six-month delay, Northern Daily Leader, 19 April 2024 (paywalled):

... 'On Friday, April 19, the court heard the fresh inquest into the teenager's death would be adjourned for six months.

Counsel assisting the coroner Chris McGorey said a five-day inquest would restart in Tamworth on October 28, 2024.

Mr McGorey said during the next six months it was expected a number of requests would be made to the NSW Commissioner of Police.

One of the requests likely to be made is the assignment of a new Officer In Charge (OIC).

"Potentially one from outside of Tamworth," Mr McGorey said.

The second inquest into Mark's death opened in Tamworth on April 8, and was expected to run for two weeks.

No witnesses were examined or gave evidence on the last two days of the inquest after the court heard further evidence could be gathered.

On Friday, Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the court it had been "incredibly difficult" to find another date in Tamworth to accommodate the inquest.

Ms Graheme said although more time had been allocated it was likely the inquest would not finish when it returns to court in October.

"I anticipate there's still a lot to be done and we may not finish in that week," she told the court.

Outside the court house, Mark's uncle Don Craigie said the journey to find out what happened to his nephew had been "long and arduous".

"I am disappointed to say the least," he said.

Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) coronial advocate Jalal Razi said despite Mr Craigie's "great disappointment" in the delay to the inquest he was still hopeful "justice can be achieved".

"There's a lot more evidence to go through, and it's quite important all relevant issues are fully examined," Mr Razi said.

A readiness hearing [a "directions hearing"?] will be held in Lidcombe in July before the inquest restarts in Tamworth in October.

Support is available for those who may be distressed. Phone 13YARN; Lifeline 13 11 14; beyondblue 1300 224 636.'

From Family of Mark Haines 'disappointed' after inquest hit with six-month delay, Northern Daily Leader, 19 April 2024 (paywalled):

... 'On Friday, April 19, the court heard the fresh inquest into the teenager's death would be adjourned for six months.

Counsel assisting the coroner Chris McGorey said a five-day inquest would restart in Tamworth on October 28, 2024.

Mr McGorey said during the next six months it was expected a number of requests would be made to the NSW Commissioner of Police.

One of the requests likely to be made is the assignment of a new Officer In Charge (OIC).

"Potentially one from outside of Tamworth," Mr McGorey said.

The second inquest into Mark's death opened in Tamworth on April 8, and was expected to run for two weeks.

No witnesses were examined or gave evidence on the last two days of the inquest after the court heard further evidence could be gathered.

On Friday, Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame told the court it had been "incredibly difficult" to find another date in Tamworth to accommodate the inquest.

Ms Graheme said although more time had been allocated it was likely the inquest would not finish when it returns to court in October.

"I anticipate there's still a lot to be done and we may not finish in that week," she told the court.

Outside the court house, Mark's uncle Don Craigie said the journey to find out what happened to his nephew had been "long and arduous".

"I am disappointed to say the least," he said.

Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) coronial advocate Jalal Razi said despite Mr Craigie's "great disappointment" in the delay to the inquest he was still hopeful "justice can be achieved".

"There's a lot more evidence to go through, and it's quite important all relevant issues are fully examined," Mr Razi said.

A readiness hearing [a "directions hearing"?] will be held in Lidcombe in July before the inquest restarts in Tamworth in October.

Support is available for those who may be distressed. Phone 13YARN; Lifeline 13 11 14; beyondblue 1300 224 636.'
That makes sense totally. In a country town where a lot of locals know each other. Mark's uncle has been campaigning police for a long time to get answers so there may be some tension there.

That makes sense totally. In a country town where a lot of locals know each other. Mark's uncle has been campaigning police for a long time to get answers so there may be some tension there.

It doesn't make sense to me. I think there would probably be tensions between citizens and police everywhere there are citizens and police. But say things are much worse in Tamworth for whatever reason, the police and coroner would have known about that since they started working together (which I think is a few years ago now). To me it seems strange that the coroner or her counsel would leave it till the second-last day of a public inquest to announce in court that they want a new OIC (and maybe without even saying why - the news report doesn't have them explaining it). Plus it even seems strange to me that they'll be asking the police commissioner, because I thought it would be the head of the homicide squad or maybe State Crime Command who decides the staffing of strike forces.

It doesn't make sense to me. I think there would probably be tensions between citizens and police everywhere there are citizens and police. But say things are much worse in Tamworth for whatever reason, the police and coroner would have known about that since they started working together (which I think is a few years ago now). To me it seems strange that the coroner or her counsel would leave it till the second-last day of a public inquest to announce in court that they want a new OIC (and maybe without even saying why - the news report doesn't have them explaining it). Plus it even seems strange to me that they'll be asking the police commissioner, because I thought it would be the head of the homicide squad or maybe State Crime Command who decides the staffing of strike forces.
I agree with all this and was wondering if there is a concern about misconduct. That might explain the seemingly poorly timed adjournment, request for outside officers, and involvement of the Police Commissioner? It would not surprise me, given the racism that has abounded in this matter, if there is an unwillingness by police to properly investigate or it has emerged that they are playing games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back