Multiplat NHL 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
IMO the 2nd best sports game is coming to current gen.

Some of the new features.

1. 12 player collision physics.
2. Real puck physics.
3. Better player models.
4. Player likeness and animation.
5. Authentic arenas.
6. New commentary and presentation.
7. A superstar stick.

The main way NHL trails behind NBA2K is the lack of distinctiveness between players and teams.

In NBA2K, I get killed by Chris Paul on pick and rolls, Kevin Durant smashes me from outside and Harden gets bullshit calls throwing himself into contact.

In NHL, its hard to tell between a gun like Crosby and some Krygstanksilnwxnsnistanian 4th liner.

A couple of the points in the summary above seem to be hinting this is being improved.

Got NHL 14 but traded it in after a couple of months because I had GTA V and Pokemon Y to play and nobody wanted to play NHL with me.

If a few people get this I'll go around again, I like the sound of the improvements.

In NHL, its hard to tell between a gun like Crosby and some Krygstanksilnwxnsnistanian 4th liner.

Honestly, I do find a difference, both when playing as stars vs duds and playing against them, against both humans online and the AI.

I hope they make the deking better this year. I hate those 1 touch dekes. Playing against kids online they just do it over and over all the time and it looks ridiculous.

Honestly, I do find a difference, both when playing as stars vs duds and playing against them, against both humans online and the AI.

I hope they make the deking better this year. I hate those 1 touch dekes. Playing against kids online they just do it over and over all the time and it looks ridiculous.
You're a bigger expert on the game than I.

My relatively uneducated eyes dont see these things.

You're a bigger expert on the game than I.

My relatively uneducated eyes dont see these things.

Far from an expert :D

But Crosby is really like Messi in FIFA games. I sometimes feel sorry for my opponent when I score with him from ridiculous situations.

Also you definitely know if you have been hit by Chara!

They definitely need to make dekes harder though. That will separate the good players from the bad, and by that I mean not just the virtual players (Crosby vs some spud) but the human players. This one touch deking turns everyone into bloody Datsyuk!

They definitely need to make dekes harder though. That will separate the good players from the bad, and by that I mean not just the virtual players (Crosby vs some spud) but the human players. This one touch deking turns everyone into bloody Datsyuk!
Yeah the deking is insane.

They need to include more errors. eg. bad players bobbling a pass, completely muffing a shot, noticeable speed differences etc.

Yeah the deking is insane.
They need to include more errors. eg. bad players bobbling a pass, completely muffing a shot, noticeable speed differences etc.

Yeah, although they can't make the players too error-prone because ultimately, you need to produce realistic scores, with a few goals each, despite the periods being a quarter of the real length.

Looks wonderful but, even if that is 100% in-game action, it's going to be the best of the best, chosen for the trailer. It's impossible to tell how well the game will play from that.

What I really hope for is a wider array of player faces. Pittsburgh is full of top players yet only these players had actual faces:

Sidney Crosby
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin
Marc-Andre Fleury
James Neal

Pretty crap when you have gun players like Kunitz, Niskanen, Martin etc looking generic.

Also, would it be so hard as to give at least a little bit of a s**t about European hockey? The guernseys are always a year out of date. The rosters take months to update from the previous year and even then the ratings are all over the shop. I'm not talking about the relative ratings between NHL and European leagues, which I can appreciate is difficult to get right, but within the leagues. There are some star players in the respective European leagues given low 60s ratings, whilst some other players who perhaps used to be good but are now rubbish are given mid 70s.

Also instead of 9000 individual crowd models I'd be happier with more European stadiums. I'm not a huge fan of playing Geneva home games in Zurich...

Finally, perhaps the European rules? No-touch icing, is it that hard to implement? Also having 2 extra skaters in European leagues (and IIHF international hockey) would surely not be that tricky to implement?

AND...finally (for real this time) I'd love the ability to tune how much time you want your lines to play. I use semi-assisted line changes, so they're automatic during play except for the odd manual change and I also manually choose the line at each face-off. It'd be great to assign percentages to how much you want your lines to play. Also, perhaps some match ups? It's almost impossible to individually monitor who is on the ice for the opposition at all times, but if you could get the AI to recognise BLAH attacker and preferentially send out your BLAH defender, that'd be great.

That looked sick.

Haven't played an NHL game since 11 I think. Probably going to be a bit of learning curve, but that's looking like a definite day 1 buy.

Also, would it be so hard as to give at least a little bit of a s**t about European hockey? The guernseys are always a year out of date. The rosters take months to update from the previous year and even then the ratings are all over the shop. I'm not talking about the relative ratings between NHL and European leagues, which I can appreciate is difficult to get right, but within the leagues. There are some star players in the respective European leagues given low 60s ratings, whilst some other players who perhaps used to be good but are now rubbish are given mid 70s.
Great point. Unlike NFL and NBA, hockey has the potential to utilise other countries leagues into the game.

And is it possible to capture Sidney's good looks in a mortal face scan? I think not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will get... Worst thing about ps4's first year is no NHL

I'm not fussed. FIFA, Madden and NBA were all thought to look nice but not have any amazing new features or gameplay in their first PS4 outing. I'm happy for NHL to have spent 2 years on it. And besides, NHL 14 on current gen was still damn fun.

Great point. Unlike NFL and NBA, hockey has the potential to utilise other countries leagues into the game.

And is it possible to capture Sidney's good looks in a mortal face scan? I think not.

Even NBA has included some European teams recently.

I'd love to see the KHL in. Currently the European leagues feel like an afterthought. They don't need to have the right faces but please, some proper scouting of the skills.

As mentioned hopefully the deking is more realistic. Keen to try an NHL game on the Ignite engine. 14 felt really arcade and the more I tried popular realism sliders the more it just bogged the game down. Big change in this regard when FIFA changed to Ignite so here's hoping.

Yeah decking with one touch was too easy for noobs. Very annoying and over-used online.

Pre-ordered today :)

I just realised one of my fave things with the NHL games on PS3 was having custom music during the breaks in play and stuff. Operation Sports always compiled good packs of the real songs they played at the stadiums, with no music storage on the PS4 it's a feature in NHL 15 that I'll miss.

Those graphics look the best I've ever seen in a sports game.

I don't have a PS4 but I've always wanted to get into an ice hockey game. I remember enjoying an old one on Super Nintendo and the NHL 12 or 13 demo I have is alright fun. It just seems a bit too hard to learn the rules and adjust. I struggle a bit with NBA 2K for the same reason. Maybe I'd prefer something more arcadey, or is it still easy enough to adjust once you play 10 or 15 games?

The demo is out people. Only played one match before sorting some stuff out but it seems pretty good after first play.

Using the overhead camera setting loses a lot of the games beauty unfortunately...But I have to be able to see all the ice to make plays so it's the price I pay. Might have a fiddle around with some of the camera settings later.

My only goal was a slapshot from nearish the blueline that perfectly hit the the top corner. Hope that doesn't happen all the time like NHL 14. I was down 2-1 and got a powerplay in the final 30 secs and had a pretty sick scramble in the last 5 seconds around the net. Was pretty intense.

Watch those hits from behind... I copped a game misconduct with my first hit in the game :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back