Delisted Nicholas Robertson (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leave the umpires umpire, if they see it as an illegal tactic then award a free kick against the tagger, you can not blame the tagger if they get away with the niggle off the ball. If they all off a sudden what to get rid of the niggle then adjudicate on it, the coaches and players will adapt, they are used to it with the amount of rule changes and interpretation changes that occur in the AFL. There wouldn't be a sport on the planet that changes rules/interpretations anywhere near the amount that we do.

I did say in our review thread that I had zero problem with what Nick did but with 24 hours to cool down and think about it IMO Nick got caught up in the emotion of the game there for a while which I find understandable and eminently forgivable. Nick plays on the line which I love, he is occasionally going to fall slightly over it, we have to accept that if that is how we want him to play. I would be very surprised if he got suspended for the headbutt due to the impact being very low.

While Martin escaped suspension for making unreasonable and unnecessary contact to the fact of Nick Robertson, he will be walking a tightrope for the rest of the season after being fined for separate incidents by the MRP.

Robertson, meanwhile, was offered a one-match ban for headbutting Tigers captain Trent Cotchin, with the incident graded intentional conduct with low impact to the head. Robertson was also charged with intentionally kneeing Martin, drawing a $1500 fine for the incident, which was graded as low impact and is the Lion's second offence this season.

‘Hothead’ Lion must learn from his mistake
Robertson came off second best on Sunday and again in Monday’s review session. He was offered a one-match suspension for headbutting Richmond captain Trent Cotchin and was also fined $1500 for kneeing Martin.

The Lions love Robertson because he will do anything that is asked of him for the cause. But captain Dayne Beams said that he needed to find the right balance in a story posted on the club’s website. “We love the way Nick plays,” Beams said.

ad1bf92cbbf1667b631eb7533093be99

“He goes out and plays his role and lives our trademark probably better than anyone in our side. “We understand he’s a little bit of a hothead and sometimes he probably does cross the line a little bit and yesterday he might have regretted doing what he did. “We don’t want Nick to lose his aggression, we want him to make the right decision at the right time and yesterday he probably didn’t make the right decision.”

I'm a big fan of Robbo and eventhough he slipped up on the weekend with some silly acts overall I'm very impressed with his year. Learn from your mistakes, he's only young, but I like a tough uncompromised footballer in our team. We sorely need it and more IMO. He'll be better for it.

Sorry Lion beats Fagan to the punch
BRISBANE Lions coach Chris Fagan said there was no need to have a chat with Nick Robertson after being suspended earlier this week – the rugged utility beat him to it. Robertson will miss his first game of the year on Sunday when the Lions host Carlton after he accepted a one-match ban for head-butting Richmond captain Trent Cotchin.

"He came and had a chat to me," Fagan said. "He thought he went a bit over what was acceptable and he’ll take his punishment on the chin."

On Monday, Lions captain Dayne Beams said he loved Robertson’s aggression, but the 22-year-old would have to make smarter decisions in the future. "He’s been fantastic for us this year," Fagan said. "A real warrior, a real competitor, and we’ll look forward to having him back in the team."
531547-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Gee, I reckon the narrative has been a bit overcooked. The headbutt he got done for was silly but Cotchin barely grimaced, so there was bugger all force behind it. Fair enough.

As had been noted, Nick played on Dusty for all of 15 minutes, yet the narrative is all about 'protecting a star' from constant threat? The same bloke that sniped Taylor off the ball in the first minutes of the game?

Comments about constant harassment? Dimma is playing to the crowd to set his emotionally erratic star up to get off future indiscretions. "It's not his fault. Remember, he's a targeted star!"

Gee, I reckon the narrative has been a bit overcooked. The headbutt he got done for was silly but Cotchin barely grimaced, so there was bugger all force behind it. Fair enough.

As had been noted, Nick played on Dusty for all of 15 minutes, yet the narrative is all about 'protecting a star' from constant threat? The same bloke that sniped Taylor off the ball in the first minutes of the game?

Comments about constant harassment? Dimma is playing to the crowd to set his emotionally erratic star up to get off future indiscretions. "It's not his fault. Remember, he's a targeted star!"

Maybe Dimma needs to be reminded how he himself played the game.

Last edited:

I agree completely. On AFL 360 on Tuesday night, Gerard Whateley's question to Jack Riewoldt was "How aware are you within the match on Sunday that Dustin Martin is being totally unfairly dealt with?"

The bold for totally is to highlight the emphasis Gerard put on it. It was a bit over the top. There was a very brief mention of the whack he gave Taylor but that was all.

You watch. He'll do something typically flaky and Dusty-like going into finals and Richmond will roll out the bleeding heart 'taggers are killing our stars' line, and refer to this game 0_o.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know.. he's out of contract at the end of this year.. I bet he asks to return back to freo.. his gf lives there too. Wonder what we'll get for him? Rumours had Ballantine linked to us at one stage... hope that's not true. #cooked

I dont know.. he's out of contract at the end of this year.. I bet he asks to return back to freo.. his gf lives there too. Wonder what we'll get for him? Rumours had Ballantine linked to us at one stage... hope that's not true. #cooked
It would be a massive surprise to me if Nick wanted to move on, he has flourished under Fagan and the new coaching regime and is playing the best footy of his career, seems happy on the surface.

It would be a massive surprise to me if Nick wanted to move on, he has flourished under Fagan and the new coaching regime and is playing the best footy of his career, seems happy on the surface.
Brand new poster, joined today, and first post is to mention Nick Robbo is heading home to W.A. :tired:

I thought his GF moved over after Nick's first year? Maybe she moved back. No to Ballantine at this stage of his career.

On the eve of the 14th QClash, the Brisbane Lions have received a huge boost, with tough defender Nick Robertson re-signing with the Club for a further two years.

Roberston said there was no place he’d rather be.

"It feels good – I’m glad to sign and just get on with footy. I was always going to sign and I’m really happy the opportunity came to sign. I love Brisbane life," Robertson said.

"It’s really positive this year. I feel the direction we’re heading in is very exciting. For our fans in particular, they should be very excited."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-08-11/robertson-resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back