MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

You could also make a case that if he got some easy ones he wouldnt feel as much pressure to kick his two or three chances a game.

"Small forwards need to be front and centre and kick goals" as a living in the Dees current set up is virtually impossible. Back when this was a thing you competed against 12 or less players in the forward 50 not 24 or more.

If we were to take Watson with our first pick and the gameplan isn't completely different to what we served up in finals Goody needs to go. Watson makes no difference to us as a team if our F50 entries are the same. He'll just become another 2023 version Spargo.
Yeah there's no way in hell if you swapped Koz and Hill around Koz wouldn't be just as good and Hill struggle just as much. We sit stationary donkeys deep. Ask our smalls to come outside 50 to help defend them completely bypass them going inside 50. Koz was nearly the match winner when we let him come out of the square against Carlton

Our team genuinely makes me sick. Every talks about contest and defence over and over. Meanwhile the pies players talk about expression and having fun.

I wouldn't be crowning Bobby a better player than Kozzy just yet. He does seem to stand up better in big games though.

Kozzy (in less games) still kicked more goals, got more of the footy and laid nearly double the tackles this year, whilst on the receiving end of some of the most diabolical forward entries (and structure) imaginable. Has another layer to his game in terms of midfield craft too (if only Simon would let us see it more than once per game).

Give Koz the space that Collingwood creates in their 50 and he'd be a megastar.

Lol Kozzy is younger than Hill and has kicked more goals every season. Hill is becoming a superb player but there’s so much melting on here. Can’t wait for the next comparison.

Lol Kozzy is younger than Hill and has kicked more goals every season. Hill is becoming a superb player but there’s so much melting on here. Can’t wait for the next comparison.
I think your definition of melting is different to other's. People were expressing an opinion in a pretty calm manner.

Swap Bobby Hill back in to the Giants’ line up for Bedford and GWS are probably premiers.

Hill had a great game no doubt. I watched him closely in several games. He “cheats” hard forward as soon as it looks like Collingwood will win the ball. It’s no surprise he ends up alone in the forward 50.

I would think if Pickett had a license to “cheat” hard forward like that he’d likely generate equal to better outcomes.

Hill’s set shot kicking is far more reliable than Pickett’s.

Collingwood were deserving winners. Too good on the day and the most consistent team for the year. Thought it was a terrific Grand Final, particularly the first half.

That said, boy oh boy will Brisbane rue that game:
  • conceded goals in the last minute of the first and second quarters
  • left Pendlebury unmarked for Hill to pass to
  • Jarrod Berry’s 50m penalty brain farts x2
  • Joe Daniher’s miss in the last quarter (although he played a great game)
  • Eric Hipwood and Cam Rayner having no impact despite Murphy subbed out at quarter time
  • Dayne Zorko putting it ootf continuously

The advantage call from the umps was putrid and denied us neutrals a potentially epic finish but if Brisbane had’ve got just one of the above right they are probably holding the cup aloft.

DeGoey (twice), Crisp and Sidebottom kicking clutch bombs from outside 50 was insane yesterday, especially those last two on tired late-in-the-game legs. It’s amazing to think that although Collingwood were the better side all it would’ve taken was for one of those four kicks to miss or fall short and result would’ve been different.

Long, accurate goal kicking is such a weapon in football. Do our mids and mid sized forwards have this ability? Tracc yes but he’s wildly inaccurate. Viney no. Sparrow yes I think. Gus no. Clarry possibly. Fritsch no. ANB no.

Last edited:
Melting is beyond over the top. We lost to the premiers by 7pts having 32 more inside 50s yet our team completely sucks. GTFO

Melting is beyond over the top. We lost to the premiers by 7pts having 32 more inside 50s yet our team completely sucks. GTFO

Have to agree. The hand-wringing is getting a bit silly. Marginal difference if any between us and Pies, Bris, Blues, GWS. Competition among the top 4-6 is very even now. You need a clean bill of health with injuries and you need to kick accurately for goal. Fall down in one or both of those areas and things get tough. Quickly.

Yes, we need to make some minor adjustments and sort the forward line personnel issue out but this notion that we are a mile off it is not right.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mason Cox: “I’m ever going to leave Australia again. US, it’s been real but I’m out”

Also Mason Cox:

View attachment 1818645
First US born player to win a flag. Pretty significant, so reasonable to run around with the US flag.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Massive strawman, no-one is saying we 'suck'. We are in danger of falling further back into the pack if we don't make significant changes about how we move the ball. It is a fact that in both seasons since 2021 we've gradually gotten worse, and I'd be very concerned about missing the top 4 next year.

Have to agree. The hand-wringing is getting a bit silly. Marginal difference if any between us and Pies, Bris, Blues, GWS. Competition among the top 4-6 is very even now. You need a clean bill of health with injuries and you need to kick accurately for goal. Fall down in one or both of those areas and things get tough. Quickly.

Yes, we need to make some minor adjustments and sort the forward line personnel issue out but this notion that we are a mile off it is not right.
Agree totally.

Massive strawman, no-one is saying we 'suck'. We are in danger of falling further back into the pack if we don't make significant changes about how we move the ball. It is a fact that in both seasons since 2021 we've gradually gotten worse, and I'd be very concerned about missing the top 4 next year.

Its exactly the kind of attitude that will see us regress, imagine mentioning inside 50's as a positive and running it back with the same game plan for a third season expecting it to work. :fearscream:

Its exactly the kind of attitude that will see us regress, imagine mentioning inside 50's as a positive and running it back with the same game plan for a third season expecting it to work. :fearscream:
First intra club next year will be telling, if May and Lever combine for a bunch of intercept marks, you know it's going to be a s**t year.

First intra club next year will be telling, if May and Lever combine for a bunch of intercept marks, you know it's going to be a s**t year.

Na, we'd just be keeping the real game plan hidden for when the real stuff starts. :laughv1:

2024 is the year of the Goody.

Also Chris Fagan should be sacked in the morning and replaced. Watching standing alone in the coaches box panicked and nervous was absolutely horrible. Mcraes on the bench involved and working with his players. Fagan looks like a nuffy supporter ready to vomit. Did the same against us. I reckon that absolutely seeps down the players.

Got a feeling this is why Fagan was banished from the bench after coaching down there for a while, likely brought too much nervous energy to the players

Fages down on the bench be like:

Collingwood were deserving winners. Too good on the day and the most consistent team for the year. Thought it was a terrific Grand Final, particularly the first half.

That said, boy oh boy will Brisbane rue that game:
  • conceded goals in the last minute of the first and second quarters
  • left Pendlebury unmarked for Hill to pass to
  • Jarrod Berry’s 50m penalty brain farts x2
  • Joe Daniher’s miss in the last quarter (although he played a great game)
  • Eric Hipwood and Cam Rayner having no impact despite Murphy subbed out at quarter time
  • Dayne Zorko putting it ootf continuously

The advantage call from the umps was putrid and denied us neutrals a potentially epic finish but if Brisbane had’ve got just one of the above right they are probably holding the cup aloft.
Yeah Collingwood have definitely been the best team when at their best but leading up to the grand final their form was definitely below their best. Kudos to them getting it right on the day, just shows you just need to get there and anything could happen. Game really comes down to mistakes, Collingwood just made less mistakes or certainly less obvious mistakes. There is an element of luck in those close games but it's more than luck for Collingwood they've proven over the last two years when it gets tight they just don't make mistakes which is why they get up so often in close games.

Yeah Collingwood have definitely been the best team when at their best but leading up to the grand final their form was definitely below their best. Kudos to them getting it right on the day, just shows you just need to get there and anything could happen. Game really comes down to mistakes, Collingwood just made less mistakes or certainly less obvious mistakes. There is an element of luck in those close games but it's more than luck for Collingwood they've proven over the last two years when it gets tight they just don't make mistakes which is why they get up so often in close games.

I still can’t get my head around Pendlebury and Sidebottom producing football of that quality in their 18th and 15th seasons respectively. At times yesterday both of them looked like Nintendo CPU players on the highest, most unbeatable setting. Perfect anticipation, reflexes, decision making, delivery, goal kicking, the lot. Pendlebury still looks like he’s moving in slow motion, gliding and cutting through congestion like some sort of footballing Neo from the Matrix. He has to be pushing top five players of the past 25 years.

Both of them lifted their side over the line in the last. Critical moments where both produced the goods. Cup number two thank you very much. 🏆🏆 I hope Tracc and Clarry were watching closely because that’s how good you have to be to become a multi-premiership midfielder.

Last edited:
I still can’t get my head around Pendlebury and Sidebottom producing football of that quality in their 18th and 15th seasons respectively. At times yesterday both of them looked like Nintendo CPU players on the highest, most unbeatable setting. Perfect anticipation, reflexes, decision making, delivery, goal kicking, the lot. Pendlebury still looks like he’s moving in slow motion, gliding and cutting through congestion like some sort of footballing Neo from the Matrix. He has to be pushing top five players of the past 30 years.
Pendlebury is a freakshow a true champion and he doesn't need to do much anymore. Sidebottom his ability to find targets under immense pressure is unbelievable. It seems flukey but he does it so consistently. Sidebottom has proved to be an absolute steal (no pun intended) of the draft pick 11 and has outlasted everyone before him.

Sidebottom has proved to be an absolute steal (no pun intended) of the draft pick 11 and has outlasted everyone before him.

He wouldnt have even gone as high as he did if not for the under 18's granny where he kicked 7 (I think). Proved he was a big game player all the way back then and its remained that way all thru out his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back