Autopsy North v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hats off the Rhyce as well, he made some big calls dropping Polec (again), Pittard and Hall to try a couple of youngster and all gave 100% today. I hope their performances have given the older guys something to think about over the coming days.

Also, some of Rhyce's "experiments" worked well at times too, Higgins on the wing for the entire game could be seen as a risky move, but the young guys (LDU, Anderson and Simpkin primarily) more than held their own in the centre. Goldy resting up forward was a good move as well, lead to a goal late in the final quarter.

It will be interesting to see what the footy press make of our performance this week. My guess is they will ignore it, but after talking about North requiring a complete rebuild for last seven days, perhaps they should take note that the first group of youngster are already here and that the "rebuild" is already more advanced than they believed.

We fielded a much lesser experienced team and pretty much had the Lions on the backfoot all day to lose to a top 4 team by just a point.

I expected another 50-100 point loss today, and we actually played really well, and a lot of good highlights for our future.

Might be a rare occasion where I didn't even feel the slightest bit bitter or mad about a 1 point loss, because the big picture today showed us we're not as far off as we think.

If anything, we just need to answer question marks from players given opportunities to succeed and not being hungry enough. (i.e Ahern and Wood)
Those 2 haven't played many games this year between them, and we've always known that they aren't players with urgency or intensity. So there's nothing new to learn there.

Nice response after the garbage we served up last week. Never dropped our heads and kept them honest the end.The changes Rhyce made had the desired effect.
We were much more positive and proactive both with and without the ball.
Ats best game for a fair while, was pleasing to see him use his speed to advantage.
LDU is going to something very special, has class coming out of his backside.
Loved The Zurhaar barreling through, like a knife through butter.
Jed and Jy, did some great work inside at the stoppages.
Only real negatives were young Will's hammy and Wood not taking his chance.

Our level?

You've been sht for 15 years, have 1 ok year with no finals wins, and now it's our level?

Zorko and Mathieson are embarrassments. When they get hurt, it'll be their fault.
Lions have never done s**t without extra salary cap or an academy. Their level is bowling with the bumpers on and still failing.

Against a side supposedly contending for a flag, we can tell we were hungrier.

Fagan didn't look impressed at all during that match.

That on its own makes me satisfied.
Conversely the body language of Rhyce at HT in the rooms and on the bench was oozing energy and positivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conversely the body language of Rhyce at HT in the rooms and on the bench was oozing energy and positivity.
And why wouldn't he?! Young players showed so much today we can take forward. At times, they were serving it up to the Lions!

Might be crazy talk, but this season has been the blessing in disguise for answering questions about our list.

Add Tarryn, Curtis and Kyron to this mix and there’s so much to like.

Missing the spine of Tarrant, Cunnington and Brown too.
So much this.

I think some posters (on here) have extremely short memories about whats happened to our list this year.

We are seriously not that far off.

All you ever want to see is your team having a crack, and we royally cracked in today.

Amazing what can happen when you leave out a bunch of stale players for a younger group.

Bailey, LDU, Simpkin, Larkey, BMac, Zurhaar, Mahoney, WW, Xerri, Murphy, TT, Taylor, Bonar & Hayden. All 22 & under.

Hopefully we see something from Perez, Comben, Crocker & McGuiness. Add Hosie (23), EVW (24), LMac (25) & Dumont (25) and we have plenty to work with.

Nail our 1st / 2nd rounders this year and next, keep playing the group above and as long as they hang around, some of Cunnington, Tarrant, Goldy, Higgins, Brown & Ziebell may just see some late success.

Last edited:
Some of the tackles we laid today made me wanna get on the field and lay a few myself. Did you see when Xerri pulverised that F***wit Robinson into the ground!? Shame the umpire payed a dubious free kick, because that was an epic tackle.
I'd love a gif of that.

Usually gifs just magically appear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back